or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Sweater, dress shirt and tie (sans jacket)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sweater, dress shirt and tie (sans jacket)?

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
I'm watching the Ohio-Florida game right now and watching the Buckeyes get creamed. I was just wondering what you guys thought about dress shirt, tie and sweater sans jacket, as exhibited by Ohio's head coach in the sweater vest.

If you like it, when do you like this look and how do you pull it off?
post #2 of 21
Some call it ultra-dorky, but I disagree. I like the look.
post #3 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara
Some call it ultra-dorky, but I disagree. I like the look.
+1. I do it often.
post #4 of 21
I basically grew up with this look. It's a good way to dress up and dress down at the same time.
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara
Some call it ultra-dorky, but I disagree. I like the look.
But to avoid dorkiness, the sweater must be fitted. No shapeless sacks.
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara
Some call it ultra-dorky


Count me in this group.
post #7 of 21
How about foregoing the tie as well? Is that a good look? Any models of this?
post #8 of 21
I've been doing this alot since the weather allows for it. The key is to make sure your sweaters are fitted and not too blousy. I like to mix up with a nice print or contrasting colors between shirt & sweater. I also wear it with a nice pair of jeans and shoes so it doesn't look too "old school". The master at pulling this off is Get Smart. You should check him out on WAYWN in the Streetwear forum.
post #9 of 21
I can't believe there's any question about the wearability of one of the most basic, classic looks.... phooi, just saw your post....haha thanks for the mention!
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by allcapitan
How about foregoing the tie as well? Is that a good look? Any models of this?

Dress shirt with a sweater over is an awesome look, especially when done well (fitted sweater, appropriate shird underneath, etc.). But, throw a tie into the mix and you look like a big dork in my opinion. I suppose that the look could possibly be done (if anyone can pull it off, it's Jason, though I've noticed that in most of his looks he doesn't have a tie on when wearing a sweater/dress shirt combo), but most of the time it makes you look either like a dork or like you're too uptight.
post #11 of 21
I do it without a tie, but I don`t mind seeing it done with a tie on other men.
post #12 of 21
I like this look. I'm actually sporting this look right now. I definitely prefer this look to the whole she-bang (w/ jacket on) which is really the one that I find dorky looking
post #13 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phooi
The master at pulling this off is Get Smart. You should check him out on WAYWN in the Streetwear forum.
Link? That's a pretty long thread.

Also, when does this look work best?
post #14 of 21
Come to think of it, I've seen this exact look done in fashion mag ads every once in a while. The thing is, everything is slim fitting: the shirt, the sweater, a slim tie, and flat front pants. It looked pretty pulled together. Of course, if everything billows out, forget about it. Capitan
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater
Dress shirt with a sweater over is an awesome look, especially when done well (fitted sweater, appropriate shird underneath, etc.). But, throw a tie into the mix and you look like a big dork in my opinion. I suppose that the look could possibly be done (if anyone can pull it off, it's Jason, though I've noticed that in most of his looks he doesn't have a tie on when wearing a sweater/dress shirt combo), but most of the time it makes you look either like a dork or like you're too uptight.
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by allcapitan
Come to think of it, I've seen this exact look done in fashion mag ads every once in a while. The thing is, everything is slim fitting: the shirt, the sweater, a slim tie, and flat front pants. It looked pretty pulled together. Of course, if everything billows out, forget about it.

Capitan

Also, I'd wear a v-neck with a button-down oxford rather than a crew-neck with the collar tips worn outside the sweater. I think the latter looks dorky.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Sweater, dress shirt and tie (sans jacket)?