or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Comments on Alpha N-3B Parka?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Comments on Alpha N-3B Parka?

post #1 of 50
Thread Starter 
Can this polyester parka withstand -15C???

Also, is it true that one must order one size bigger because of it's "slim fit"???
post #2 of 50
Thread Starter 
bump?
post #3 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lektrix View Post

Can this polyester parka withstand -15C???
Also, is it true that one must order one size bigger because of it's "slim fit"???


Get the Spiewak USA made N3B off Rakuten USA in Japan. Comes with a real coyote fur trim ruff instead off the synthetic fur trim ruff found on the Alpha.

 

I'm 5'7", short guy and the Japan store sized me up to a 40 since I have the slender physique Japanese men have.

 

An N3B parka is the warmest jacket ever made. It will keep you warm in temperatures down to minus 60 C. It was standard issue to US Air Force crews serving in the most extreme latitudes in the world.

post #4 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanF View Post



Get the Spiewak USA made N3B off Rakuten USA in Japan. Comes with a real coyote fur trim ruff instead off the synthetic fur trim ruff found on the Alpha.

Where? Link please?
Quote:
I'm 5'7", short guy and the Japan store sized me up to a 40 since I have the slender physique Japanese men have.

An N3B parka is the warmest jacket ever made. It will keep you warm in temperatures down to minus 60 C. It was standard issue to US Air Force crews serving in the most extreme latitudes in the world.

what?!?!? no way
post #5 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lektrix View Post


Where? Link please?
what?!?!? no way


http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/j-pia/item/jpspiewak-1n3bfco/

 

Yup. Its an extreme cold weather parka. Originally it was made with a wool lining and a cotton poly outer shell but the specs later were switched to polyester lining and a nylon shell.

 

You'll find it comfortable with nothing but a t-shirt underneath in sub-zero weather!

post #6 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanF View Post



http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/j-pia/item/jpspiewak-1n3bfco/

Yup. Its an extreme cold weather parka. Originally it was made with a wool lining and a cotton poly outer shell but the specs later were switched to polyester lining and a nylon shell.

You'll find it comfortable with nothing but a t-shirt underneath in sub-zero weather!

Interesting. Can you give me some more background history on this jacket? Did Spiewak rip this off of Alpha Industries or did Alpha collab with Spiewak to make a better jacket? Also, where does it say it's good for up to -60 C (we're talking about Arctic weather here..........)? Technically speaking, how can polyester outdo goose down/feathers?? Unless this is some special level 5 grade polyester that i do not know of....... Sorry for asking so many questions, just wanted to make sure everything is good before I go ahead and order it within the next 30 minutes!
post #7 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lektrix View Post


Interesting. Can you give me some more background history on this jacket? Did Spiewak rip this off of Alpha Industries or did Alpha collab with Spiewak to make a better jacket? Also, where does it say it's good for up to -60 C (we're talking about Arctic weather here..........)? Technically speaking, how can polyester outdo goose down/feathers?? Unless this is some special level 5 grade polyester that i do not know of....... Sorry for asking so many questions, just wanted to make sure everything is good before I go ahead and order it within the next 30 minutes!

 

That's right. Spiewak & Sons is a highly regarded American manufacturer of outerwear. They have a long history going back to the 20th Century as a supplier to the military and police. You'll find if this parka is good enough for Japan which is a cold country, you'll find its good here.

 

Some background on the N3B Parka on Wikipedia:

 

The original snorkel parka (USAF N-3B parka, which is 3/4 length and has a full, attached hood; the similar N-2B parka is waist-length and has an attached split hood) was developed in the USA during the early 1950s for military use, mainly for flight crews stationed in extremely cold areas, designed as it was for temperatures down to −60 °F. Originally made with a sage green DUPont flight silk nylon outer and lining it was padded with a wool blanket type material until the mid 1970s when the padding was changed to polyester wadding making the jacket both lighter and warmer. The outer shell material also was changed to a sage green cotton-nylon blend, with respective percentages 80–20, 65-35, and 50-50 being used at various times. It gained the common name of "Snorkel Parka" because the hood can be zipped right up leaving only a small tunnel (or snorkel) for the wearer to look out of. This is particularly effective in very cold, windy weather although it has the added liabilities of seriously limiting the field of vision and hearing. Earlier (Vietnam-era) hoods had genuine fur ruffs on the hoods; later versions used synthetic furs. Original manufacturers of this parka for the government included Skyline, Southern Athletic, Lancer, Greenbrier, Workroom For Designers, Alpha, and Avirex. Older nylon-shell parkas have a tendency to exhibit a change in color from the original sage green to a shade of magenta due to long-term cumulative exposure to ultraviolet light from the sun. To some in the military, this is personally desirable, as it lends to its wearer an aura of seasoned experience (referred to as "salty" by those in the US Navy and US Marine Corps). However, considered in a tactical environment, this is a liability, as it decreases one's ability to be camouflaged on the ground.

 

The basic N-3B parka design was copied and sold to the civilian market by many manufacturers with varying degrees of quality and faithfulness to the original government specifications. Surplus military parkas are often available for relatively low prices online and in surplus stores; they compare quite favorably with civilian extreme-cold parkas of all types due to their robust construction, designed for combat conditions, and warmth, at (usually) significantly lower prices. However, one would have to be satisfied with the single color.

 


 

 

post #8 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanF View Post


That's right. Spiewak & Sons is a highly regarded American manufacturer of outerwear. They have a long history going back to the 20th Century as a supplier to the military and police. You'll find if this parka is good enough for Japan which is a cold country, you'll find its good here.

Okay, so the only difference between the Spiewak and Alpha is the faux fur trim vs real coyote fur? Is there no other difference? Hmmmmmmmmm, that's around $80 I COULD save.... Not to mention I have to order from this confusing Japanese site which won't give me an ETA on shipping..... Do help me please!!!
post #9 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lektrix View Post


Okay, so the only difference between the Spiewak and Alpha is the faux fur trim vs real coyote fur? Is there no other difference? Hmmmmmmmmm, that's around $80 I COULD save.... Not to mention I have to order from this confusing Japanese site which won't give me an ETA on shipping..... Do help me please!!!


No other difference but in extreme cold faux fur freezes. Real fur doesn't. When you place the order in your size - you didn't say how tall you are - after you get the confirmation receipt from Rakuten, the shop will confirm the order. The proprietor, unlike many Japanese shops speaks good English, so that should help with placing an order. Once its placed, it will be shipped by Japan Post EMS - Express Mail Service and you'll get a tracking number. The length of time for delivery can vary depending on where you live but in general it takes up to two weeks. Its held a few days in customs. I have not had to pay duty for an imported good bought from Japan yet.

post #10 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanF View Post



No other difference but in extreme cold faux fur freezes. Real fur doesn't. When you place the order in your size - you didn't say how tall you are - after you get the confirmation receipt from Rakuten, the shop will confirm the order. The proprietor, unlike many Japanese shops speaks good English, so that should help with placing an order. Once its placed, it will be shipped by Japan Post EMS - Express Mail Service and you'll get a tracking number. The length of time for delivery can vary depending on where you live but in general it takes up to two weeks. Its held a few days in customs. I have not had to pay duty for an imported good bought from Japan yet.

I'm 6'0", 165lbs, 38-40 chest, 32 waist, 15.5 neck, 34/35 arm.

Two weeks is too long.....I will only be in the US for 48hrs for Black Friday shopping..was hoping I could mail it to the my residence, pick it up, and wear it back to Canada...

Any US stores sell this jacket???
post #11 of 50
Thread Starter 
Actually, I was able to find the Alpha for even cheaper, $129.........

http://www.davesnewyork.com/index.cfm/a/catalog.prodshow/vid/126406/Alpha-Mens-Slim-Fit-N3B-Parka

~$200 more for real fur???
post #12 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lektrix View Post


I'm 6'0", 165lbs, 38-40 chest, 32 waist, 15.5 neck, 34/35 arm.
Two weeks is too long.....I will only be in the US for 48hrs for Black Friday shopping..was hoping I could mail it to the my residence, pick it up, and wear it back to Canada...
Any US stores sell this jacket???


 

 

No. Its funny how a US made jacket is sold only abroad. You could probably get in your size from Caliroots. At 399 Euros, its not exactly cheap:

 

http://caliroots.com/c-store/campaign.asp?tab=0&cid=4392

 

 

A USA store is *********. You can find the Martexin Waxed N3B Parka from Spiewak. Price is $448.

 

http://ww.*********.com/product/The-Martexin-Waxed-N3B-Snorkel-in-Navy/169567

 

 

post #13 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lektrix View Post

Actually, I was able to find the Alpha for even cheaper, $129.........
http://www.davesnewyork.com/index.cfm/a/catalog.prodshow/vid/126406/Alpha-Mens-Slim-Fit-N3B-Parka
~$200 more for real fur???


Well... if you're going to get a winter jacket, then yes I want real fur. I don't want to compromise on quality just save some money but that's me.

post #14 of 50

I think This is affordable and nice and cheap. I am also interested for this.

post #15 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by philiplorina View Post

I think This is affordable and nice and cheap. I am also interested for this.



Sadly, its all imported nowadays and the cost-cutting is reflected in the trim.They had a supply of USA made Alphas on an Italian site but the stock is nearly all gone.

 

Your best bet to find a quality USA made N3B is to look on eBay if you don't want to find one abroad.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Comments on Alpha N-3B Parka?