or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › World's 50 Best Bars 2011
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

World's 50 Best Bars 2011

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Drinks International has announced its 2011 list of the top 50 bars in the world apparently voted for by various industry types.



Top ten are:
Quote:
1. PDT, New York
2 Connaught, London
3 Artesian, London
4 Death & Co, New York
5 Milk & Honey, London
6 American Bar at the Savoy, London
7 69 Colebrooke Row, London
8 Drink, Boston US
9 Harry’s New York Bar, Paris
10 Black Pearl, Melbourne, Australia

Overall there's 11 in London, 8 in New York, 2 in Paris and 2 in Tokyo.

Your thoughts?

I've been to five of the bars in London and while the Connaught was exceptional I don't really have much perspective as to how good it is in global terms. A friend of mine went to PDT at the weekend and wasn't massively impressed.

[EDIT] For some odd reason I can't get the link to post
post #2 of 20
http://www.drinksint.com/news/fullstory.php/aid/2530/World_s_50_Best_Bars_2011_announced.html

Edit: Would have thought that Christiansen's would be more likely to get in the top 50 than "Le Lion" (which I haven't even heard of until now..). Seems to be more the overall atmosphere than the cocktail skills.
Edited by b1os - 11/9/11 at 6:53am
post #3 of 20
I will have to catch up on some of these, thanks b1os for the link.
post #4 of 20
List seems to be very London and NY-centric. Top seven are in either NY or London and about half the entire list is split between them.
post #5 of 20
Funny that PDT (Please Don't Tell) is listed #1 when it ranks just "good" with NY Magazine (5 out of 10) , Yelp, etc.
post #6 of 20
I'm kinda drunk (because I just drank at a good Tokyo bar) but a really uninterested skim of the intro says that the criterion for being on the list was being on the list before? I don't get it.

I'm also pretty sure that between any reasonable criteria and priority one should give a bar, the hard-drinker Tokyo bars are probably the best in the world at this point. Like an artform, and the retro is without irony.
post #7 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post

I'm kinda drunk (because I just drank at a good Tokyo bar) but a really uninterested skim of the intro says that the criterion for being on the list was being on the list before? I don't get it.

I think it's that the people who were in the list last year get to vote this year (I think). It's not really stated very clearly how it works. I can only assume they're not allowed to vote for themselves.
post #8 of 20
Surprised the Velvet Tango Room does not get a mention. However, given the map of the list, I can see why it did not.
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Ed Harris View Post

Quote:
8 Drink, Boston US

That's a nice place.
post #10 of 20
i've only been to two of the top 50 (that i know of), and neither one would be in my personal top 50, so personally i am not on board.
post #11 of 20
This list is useless to me. I'd be much more interested in knowing a nice place to grab a drink when I'm traveling to Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Chicago or St Louis. Obvious ones are obvious.
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

This list is useless to me. I'd be much more interested in knowing a nice place to grab a drink when I'm traveling to Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Chicago or St Louis. Obvious ones are obvious.

Ava Lounge.
post #13 of 20
I prefer Angel's Share to any of those other NYC bars.

And if Clover Club or Dutch Kills were actually to rank among the fifty best bars in the fucking world, I'd stop traveling and start drinking at home.
post #14 of 20

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

List seems to be very London and NY-centric. Top seven are in either NY or London and about half the entire list is split between them.


New York and London are where people that matter are and go.

 

Did you expect a different outcome?

post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Disick View Post






New York and London are where people that matter are and go.

Did you expect a different outcome?

Do "people who matter" read magazine lists to decide where to drink?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › World's 50 Best Bars 2011