or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Name's Ford, Tom Ford
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Name's Ford, Tom Ford - Page 5

post #61 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by othertravel View Post

520

I wonder how many untold tens of thousands of dollars (maybe hundreds?) they're paying Ford or whoever designed this, and the joker can't even get proper pivot sleeves or gussets so the jacket doesnt warp like a crappy halloween costume when the actor moves. A moderately competent theatrical or ballroom tailor could probably have inserted the proper sleeves on that thing for a few hundred bucks, and there'd be little to no distortion in the lapels. I'd hate to see how that thing would look if Bond reached overhead for something.
post #62 of 158
Wonder why they choose to get cuffs and no pleats.
post #63 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenn View Post

I wonder how many untold tens of thousands of dollars (maybe hundreds?) they're paying Ford or whoever designed this, and the joker can't even get proper pivot sleeves or gussets so the jacket doesnt warp like a crappy halloween costume when the actor moves. A moderately competent theatrical or ballroom tailor could probably have inserted the proper sleeves on that thing for a few hundred bucks, and there'd be little to no distortion in the lapels. I'd hate to see how that thing would look if Bond reached overhead for something.

That would be weird, like Pierce Brosnan's hair.
post #64 of 158
It just looks too fussy. Toooooo fussy and pristine. It has no swagger, only posh and neatness. The conduit cut was perfect because it was understated but elegant and sharp at the same time. Understated doesn't mean it doesn't turn heads (because we still can't stop looking at those dr no suits) but it means taking tact and moderation into account when creating a garment. DC is all muscle and no class, all brawn and no brains. let him play Rambo, not james bond.

And yeah, the Casino Royale looked great because it was all by dunhill and brioni. The side vents may flap around, but when sean connery is on a boat (goldfinger or dr no, i can't remember which has the tape recorder hidden inside a camera) it's like an advert for how sleek and singularly badass double vents can look.
post #65 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotoriousMarquis View Post

The side vents may flap around, but when sean connery is on a boat (goldfinger or dr no, i can't remember which has the tape recorder hidden inside a camera) it's like an advert for how sleek and singularly badass double vents can look.

That was From Russia With Love smile.gif

(In which he wore both single, double and no vents.)
post #66 of 158
What's with all the single vent hate lately? If you are skinny w/ a relatively big butt, you despise double vents.
post #67 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalfordOfLondon View Post

To my understanding - TF definitely designed Colin Firth's outfits.

No. The suits were designed by a costume designer, but made in TF's factory in Italy.
post #68 of 158
post #69 of 158
^^^The XJ looks good from that angle in the pic. Looks like a Supersport given the tires and rims.
post #70 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post

No. The suits were designed by a costume designer, but made in TF's factory in Italy.

Tom Ford collaborated with the designer "Arianne Phillips" for Colin Firth's wardrobe.

See here
Quote:
AP: Tom Ford is one of the most articulate, informed, creative minds I have ever had the pleasure of knowing let alone working with. He is the most prepared director I have ever worked with. Tom is an extremely generous and gracious man, who was encouraging, agreeable and allowed me to do my job. We actually collaborated on Colin's costumes; they were manufactured at the Tom Ford International factory in Italy.
post #71 of 158
Craig looks more like a Russian spy than a British spy in those photos: his outfit is so severe. I suppose the screenplay will match that severity. Anyway, the lapels look crap to me.
post #72 of 158
Craig never looked like Bond, but he would've made a good Red Grant.
post #73 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenn View Post

I wonder how many untold tens of thousands of dollars (maybe hundreds?) they're paying Ford or whoever designed this, and the joker can't even get proper pivot sleeves or gussets so the jacket doesnt warp like a crappy halloween costume when the actor moves. A moderately competent theatrical or ballroom tailor could probably have inserted the proper sleeves on that thing for a few hundred bucks, and there'd be little to no distortion in the lapels. I'd hate to see how that thing would look if Bond reached overhead for something.

What on earth are you on about? It just fitted like any normal suit, so it will warp or pull the same any normal suit would. If James Bond were a real person he would not wear a suit with gussets inserted so he can wave his arms around without the body moving but it looks like messy crap when his arms are down by his sides, so why should the fictional character do any different? The point of a movie and of acting is the suspension of disbelief of the audience, to try to portray the subject matter with enough realism that it appears as if James Bond is a real spy and the audience can immerse themselves in the experience. This is totally different to a ballroom dancer where the situation is entirely artificial and the arms are always raised while performing.
post #74 of 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum View Post

What on earth are you on about? It just fitted like any normal suit, so it will warp or pull the same any normal suit would. If James Bond were a real person he would not wear a suit with gussets inserted so he can wave his arms around without the body moving but it looks like messy crap when his arms are down by his sides, so why should the fictional character do any different? The point of a movie and of acting is the suspension of disbelief of the audience, to try to portray the subject matter with enough realism that it appears as if James Bond is a real spy and the audience can immerse themselves in the experience. This is totally different to a ballroom dancer where the situation is entirely artificial and the arms are always raised while performing.

+1 couldn't have said it better myself.
post #75 of 158
No issue with the center vent, though I think the jacket is too short; not only is the bottom button a bit low but so are the pockets. I also think that someone as broad as Craig looks wrong with a tab collar and such a sloping shoulder. A longer skirt with more waist suppression would have suited him better and someone as big (or who appears as big on-screen) as he is looks wrong in narrow lapels. However I've nothing against these; most of mine are relatively narrow but then I'm tall and narrow compared to Craig, who IMDb lists as 5'10. The trousers are also too tight in the thigh from the looks of things.

As for fashion designers doing movie costumes, I think it's wrong to dismiss it on principle. Armani did the costumes for "Untouchables" (movie version with Costner) and I thought they not only captured the period but were exceptionally well done (particularly the black tie dinner in which De Niro bashes the guy's head in with a baseball bat). Personally I liked the look in Quantum, but that's just me. Had they gone with the same cuts it would have worked better.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Name's Ford, Tom Ford