or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Selvage Jeans at Target?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Selvage Jeans at Target? - Page 5

post #61 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini View Post


Wait, what? I'm with you that it's hyped to an annoying extent at times, but what do you mean it's a "feature?" Maybe I'm reading you incorrectly but it's almost like you're implying the only difference between it and other fabrics is a colorful stripe down the end. Or do you mean in a sense that silk is a "feature" of a tie in that it's not rayon? Just doesn't make sense to me.

 

It's a feature of the denim.  I mean that in a straightforward, literal, wikipedian sense.  Selvedge is a quality which certain denims possess.  Selvedge is a self-edge, a finished end to a fabric that doesn't fray, and creates a definite "stop" point to a fabric.  It doesn't have to have a colorful stripe, it just has to serve as a finished edge to a fabric that doesn't require any additional needlework to prevent fraying.

post #62 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaeeeiiiooouuu View Post

Nice jeans can be had for cheap, there's no excuse for getting shitty jeans from, literally, Target other than sheer ignorance or refusal to do the most cursory research
For example, if you do a little poking around, you can get some Naked & Famous for like $ 75 or so, which admittedly are sort of shitty in their own right, but at least the value's there, whereas these are terrible value and of course there is the implicit shame in wearing, literally, Target jeans, each time you put them on
Once you begin wearing jeans from Target, compromise will seep into every facet of your life. Soon, you'll be able to rationalize eating dog food over human food, because hey, the constituent parts are the same, and it looks similar enough, so nevermind the details of it or dignity issues. Taste might be a little off, but I'm willing to subject myself to this because it's "close enough" but most importantly i think i'm getting such a bargain


Damn dude it's just clothes..... LMAO.

Seems like some people in here are just trying really hard to make themselves feel better for spending hours upon hours looking up relatively obscure jean companies and fit on styleforum and got mad that this guy found something he liked while shopping at target... your responses are too angry to suggest otherwise foo.gif
post #63 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumndreams View Post


It's a feature of the denim.  I mean that in a straightforward, literal, wikipedian sense.  Selvedge is a quality which certain denims possess.  Selvedge is a self-edge, a finished end to a fabric that doesn't fray, and creates a definite "stop" point to a fabric.  It doesn't have to have a colorful stripe, it just has to serve as a finished edge to a fabric that doesn't require any additional needlework to prevent fraying.

I think you're taking the literal sense too literally and not including the rest of the definition. Selvage denim means it's a narrow-loomed fabric, and whether or not the self-edge is even present anywhere on a pair of jeans does not change the fact that it is indeed narrow-loomed/selvage. A pair of Lee's that only shows half-selvage is an aesthetic description only; it doesn't literally mean that half the jeans are made with narrow-loomed goods and half with wide.

I realize some on here might like the aesthetic of a finished edge when cuffed, but you can't seriously be suggesting that the detail is the only reason why people wax about the fabric itself, can you?
post #64 of 79
if you want quality, u gotta put some money down. period.
post #65 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini View Post


I think you're taking the literal sense too literally and not including the rest of the definition. Selvage denim means it's a narrow-loomed fabric, and whether or not the self-edge is even present anywhere on a pair of jeans does not change the fact that it is indeed narrow-loomed/selvage. A pair of Lee's that only shows half-selvage is an aesthetic description only; it doesn't literally mean that half the jeans are made with narrow-loomed goods and half with wide.
I realize some on here might like the aesthetic of a finished edge when cuffed, but you can't seriously be suggesting that the detail is the only reason why people wax about the fabric itself, can you?


Ask yourself this question: Is that the actual definition, or is that the hype?

 

Quality denim is quality denim, with or without selvedge.  A fabric woven on a narrow loom isn't necessarily a great fabric, but the fact that it was woven on a narrow loom is a good indicator that whoever is producing this fabric isn't overly concerned with producing a large amount.  Otherwise they'd be using a wider loom.  Savvy?

 

If the person isn't overly concerned with producing a great deal of fabric, that suggests that they may be more into the "quality" rather than the "quantity" side of production.

 

All this stuff...the fact that a fabric was produced on narrow looms, selvedge, blah de blah: these are seen as indicators of quality, but they do not represent quality.  Caveat emptor.

 

post #66 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini View Post


I think you're taking the literal sense too literally and not including the rest of the definition. Selvage denim means it's a narrow-loomed fabric, and whether or not the self-edge is even present anywhere on a pair of jeans does not change the fact that it is indeed narrow-loomed/selvage. A pair of Lee's that only shows half-selvage is an aesthetic description only; it doesn't literally mean that half the jeans are made with narrow-loomed goods and half with wide.
I realize some on here might like the aesthetic of a finished edge when cuffed, but you can't seriously be suggesting that the detail is the only reason why people wax about the fabric itself, can you?


Ask yourself this question: Is that the actual definition, or is that the hype?

 

Quality denim is quality denim, with or without selvedge.  A fabric woven on a narrow loom isn't necessarily a great fabric, but the fact that it was woven on a narrow loom is a good indicator that whoever is producing this fabric isn't overly concerned with making a large quantity.  Otherwise they'd be using a wider loom.  Savvy?

 

If the person isn't overly concerned with producing a great deal of fabric, that suggests that they may be more into the "quality" rather than the "quantity" side of production.

 

All this stuff...the fact that a fabric was produced on narrow looms, selvedge, blah de blah: these are seen as indicators of quality, but they do not represent quality.  Caveat emptor.

 

post #67 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumndreams View Post



Ask yourself this question: Is that the actual definition, or is that the hype?

Quality denim is quality denim, with or without selvedge.  A fabric woven on a narrow loom isn't necessarily a great fabric, but the fact that it was woven on a narrow loom is a good indicator that whoever is producing this fabric isn't overly concerned with making a large quantity.  Otherwise they'd be using a wider loom.  Savvy?

If the person isn't overly concerned with producing a great deal of fabric, that suggests that they may be more into the "quality" rather than the "quantity" side of production.

All this stuff...the fact that a fabric was produced on narrow looms, selvedge, blah de blah: these are seen as indicators of quality, but they do not represent quality.  Caveat emptor.
post #68 of 79
There is truth to part of what you said-

"Quality denim is quality denim, with or without selvedge. A fabric woven on a narrow loom isn't necessarily a great fabric, but the fact that it was woven on a narrow loom is a good indicator that whoever is producing this fabric isn't overly concerned with making a large quantity. Otherwise they'd be using a wider loom."

This part of what you said is fact.'
"Quality denim is quality denim, with or without selvedge. "


Technically wide width goods suppose to be higher quality good. Less flaws stronger fabric, almost flawless. That's why the whole narrow width trend started back up. Almost a back lash if you will towards perfection.This topic has been beaten to death on the forum and my typing and grammar is to poor to spend 30 min on a very stupid subject.

Here is a another fact. If truly believe something to be true then you will think it's true. Right or Wrong. You will justify your belief and in some ways become a radical. Years and years of hype has been poured into selvage jeans. It's just hype. When you wake up and realize this you will be a smarter consumer and won't be blinded by the other sheople.

Can you by shit selvage denim, off course. Does it represent quality ? Off course it doesn't. Does it have a story people want to buy into, of course it does. The same can't be said about wide width goods. Why?
Because the radicals have told everyone it sucks when in fact it doesn't. To wear quality wide width goods is what the real Connoisseur of denim would be chasing.

Quantity doesn't mean shit either. A narrow width good doesn't have the same yield as a wide width good. That's a fact. However it doesn't mean that that company or person is making any less money than the wide width good.

Example- let's say it takes 1.5 yards of fabric to make a pair of jeans on a 58 cutable and it takes 3 yards on a 28.5 to 31 inch cutable . The price of the wide with is 15.00 a yard and the price of the narrow width is 15.00 a yard. Who's saves money? Get my point. It takes WAY more yardage to make a selvage jean because its cut on the selvage . You are limited by the selvage with what you can do with the a pair of jeans. A wide width good, sky is the limit.

Is target selling quality jeans? What's your definition of quality? Because there are so many different definitions, taste levels, standards, and functions this topic will go on for a very long time. The fact that this is SF on the internet will get people arguing and debating about what they think is right and wrong even though 99% don't know shit about what they are talking about.

Have a wonderful day. I am tried of writing and have jeans to be make.

Best,
Mauro
post #69 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauro View Post

Have a wonderful day. I am tried of writing and have jeans to be making.

i miss them
post #70 of 79
You will get them back . I promise.
post #71 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumndreams View Post



Ask yourself this question: Is that the actual definition, or is that the hype?

Quality denim is quality denim, with or without selvedge.  A fabric woven on a narrow loom isn't necessarily a great fabric, but the fact that it was woven on a narrow loom is a good indicator that whoever is producing this fabric isn't overly concerned with producing a large amount.  Otherwise they'd be using a wider loom.  Savvy?

If the person isn't overly concerned with producing a great deal of fabric, that suggests that they may be more into the "quality" rather than the "quantity" side of production.

All this stuff...the fact that a fabric was produced on narrow looms, selvedge, blah de blah: these are seen as indicators of quality, but they do not represent quality.  Caveat emptor.

Mauro did a more detailed job of putting you in your spot than I care to, but yes, the part of the statement you emboldened is the actual definition of selvage.

At NO point in what I've written to you have I used the word "quality." That's your tangent, how or where you came to that conclusion is beyond me.

You come off as trying to argue from a place of intelligence but you get tripped up on the first step, which makes me think you're either trolling or you don't know what you're talking about.

If you think I'm confused about your point or that you still need to teach me or this forum a thing or two about denim, I'd invite you to meet the version of me from six years ago. He'd probably listen.
post #72 of 79
BUTT EES EET CHAINGSTEEETCHED.,?,?,?.?,,!,!,!,!,!,
post #73 of 79
That'd be pretty rad if you had your lady's ring chainstitched. No jeweler could argue its quality.
post #74 of 79
It would definitely shine brighter than a ring made the traditional way and I'd only be able to send it of to get cleaned at one or two places.
post #75 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini View Post


Mauro did a more detailed job of putting you in your spot than I care to, but yes, the part of the statement you emboldened is the actual definition of selvage.
At NO point in what I've written to you have I used the word "quality." That's your tangent, how or where you came to that conclusion is beyond me.
You come off as trying to argue from a place of intelligence but you get tripped up on the first step, which makes me think you're either trolling or you don't know what you're talking about.
If you think I'm confused about your point or that you still need to teach me or this forum a thing or two about denim, I'd invite you to meet the version of me from six years ago. He'd probably listen.


*sighs*

 

My point that you first responded to was that selvedge has been hyped up beyond all possible recognition.  In this regard, Mauro seems to agree with me.

 

Mauro obviously knows a whole lot more about fabric and denim than I do, and I will defer to him.  My last post was simply what I've heard about selvedge denim, the "story" behind selvedge denim.  The hype.  I didn't mean to present it as irrefutable fact, and I don't mean to proclaim myself as an expert:  I'm just an enthusiast.  I appreciate Mauro's input in the thread.  I don't feel like he "put me in my place", because I'm OK with being wrong.  He taught me a few things about denim that I didn't know.

 

What's frustrating to me is that you and I don't seem to disagree on a fundamental level here, but you continue pushing.  We both agree that selvedge is over hyped, right?  So what's the big deal?

 

The *original* reason I posted in this thread was because I saw a dogpile.  The OP was enamored with the idea of getting selvedge jeans for 40 dollars, and then people let loose with the insults and the bullying.  I didn't like that.  I don't like the idea of people hiding behind their keyboards and monitors and anonymously flinging shit at other people.  My original message should have been clear: Chill.  Be good to each other.  Don't shit all over a person because you think they're ignorant, because people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Selvage Jeans at Target?