or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Selvage Jeans at Target?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Selvage Jeans at Target? - Page 3

post #31 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by chill1217 View Post



this is a poor analogy because a 3 tire car is not functional, while $40 jeans are functional

263

Checkmate, douchebag.



Quote:
Originally Posted by chill1217 View Post



this doesn't make sense at all in the context of the thread. who was telling people off for buying expensive jeans while advocating the purchase of expensive goods?
Quote:
Originally Posted by qO ol View Post


i guess non-lemmings have to buy expensive jeans at small-box stores to feel special.

Your reading comprehension skills are as about as good as nitpicking arguments that you don't have a say in. You need to reread the part where I didn't use "expensive" twice.
post #32 of 79
tired of seeing the flimsy "all denim is the same" argument from dudes who only shop at the mall

go wear a pair of high-quality raw jeans for a year, let the denim mold to your legs and take a life of its own, and try telling me that all denim is the same
post #33 of 79
I believe Abercrombie & Fitch recently ran selvedge denim too. Now Target. Gap's getting it on for a few seasons now. You can buy "selvedge" denim just about anywhere to fit your mall/big-store style and budget. Fine. You go do that.

I'm going with Whodini and Uncontrol. To a point the more you are willing to pay results in a rather substantial rise in quality, durability, and just general aesthetic appeal. You can buy the real deal, or you can buy the cheap crap put out by such stores. I've been on both ends, and have established a decent niche I like to consider somewhere in the middle.

If you can't afford an Audi or whatnot, then enjoy your Toyota. But don't go and try to claim they're the same thing, despite both being armed with (varying degrees of) an engine.
post #34 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post

If you can't afford an Audi or whatnot, then enjoy your Toyota. But don't go and try to claim they're the same thing, despite both being armed with (varying degrees of) an engine.

I didn't notice anyone claiming the Target jeans were the same thing as APC or similar brands...
post #35 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini View Post


263
Checkmate, douchebag.

why are you being so hostile?  it's a shitty analogy and you know it.  a better analogy would be "target selvedge denim:toyota carolla::designer denim:lexus".  your analogy doesn't make sense to 99% of people and i think you literally googled "three wheel car" and picked the first image that suited you to make a point.  don't be a baby and just admit you're wrong

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill1217 View Post




this doesn't make sense at all in the context of the thread. who was telling people off for buying expensive jeans while advocating the purchase of expensive goods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qO ol View Post
 
 
i guess non-lemmings have to buy expensive jeans at small-box stores to feel special.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini View Post
 
Your reading comprehension skills are as about as good as nitpicking arguments that you don't have a say in. You need to reread the part where I didn't use "expensive" twice.

 

here's what you wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini View Post

The ironing of telling people off for buying expensive things while advocating the purchase of goods so that you fit in with that same exact group...

i admit, i have trouble comprehending what you wrote because it doesn't make sense.  let me get this straight... qO ol "tells people off for buying expensive things, while advocating the purchase of goods so that [qO ol] fit in with that same exact group.."  that's how you wrote the statement as and it infers "telling people off for buying expensive jeans while advocating the purchase of expensive goods"


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post

I believe Abercrombie & Fitch recently ran selvedge denim too. Now Target. Gap's getting it on for a few seasons now. You can buy "selvedge" denim just about anywhere to fit your mall/big-store style and budget. Fine. You go do that.
I'm going with Whodini and Uncontrol. To a point the more you are willing to pay results in a rather substantial rise in quality, durability, and just general aesthetic appeal. You can buy the real deal, or you can buy the cheap crap put out by such stores. I've been on both ends, and have established a decent niche I like to consider somewhere in the middle.
If you can't afford an Audi or whatnot, then enjoy your Toyota. But don't go and try to claim they're the same thing, despite both being armed with (varying degrees of) an engine.

this isn't what i'm arguing about though.  i believe that expensive denim is worth it too.  my whole point, and what i'm arguing is, so far nobody has said WHY target selvedge is shitty.  basically people are saying "target selvedge is shitty" (making a conclusion) without backing it up with ANY REASON.

post #36 of 79
This entire thread is a trainwreck because each side is misinterpreting the other side's claims.
post #37 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Silver View Post

This entire thread is a trainwreck because each side is misinterpreting the other side's claims.

Not really. OP asked if jeans were a bargain because they were cheap and happened to be selvage. He was then repeatedly told that painting a horse with white stripes doesn't make it a zebra, ie, cheap jeans are cheap jeans regardless of details. OP then suggested that people buy expensive jeans solely to make themselves feel special, the irony being that he was buying shit jeans from Target specifically so that he'd feel his purchase was special. Scumbag Steve then popped his head for left-field comments based on his reading comprehension failures and voila!

Think it's pretty clear.
post #38 of 79
I have been in that same enthusiastic place the OP was. If you go back to early 2009 there are pictures of me in these godawful tight as hell Academi selvage jeans I bought. I was pretty excited about them and bought them because they were selvage. I didn't do any research I bought them. 5 wears in they were losing hardware, they never stretched, they were awful.

The moral of my story is, yes these jeans are selvage but take a little time to learn about jeans. At 40$ you're getting ripped off, at 27$ you're getting ripped off.

This forum, and ones like it, might come across as snobby or rich (i've certainly felt this before... see my title) but this is a result of knowledge and taste.

It's great you found some jeans you like, but coming here to brag about them is like trying to be a member of a classic car club when you own a geo metro.

they're jeans, they're selvage... but really just read whodini's answer he said it best.
post #39 of 79
I had to stop by Target for a few things and picked up a pair for shits and giggles. I'm due for a new pair of work jeans anyways. I doubt these will compete with my usual 501 stfs.

They are indeed selvage. Denim is fairly heavy, but not as heavy as 501 stf. They appear to be rinsed, than wadded up and left on a Chinese factory floor to dry. Fit is ok, considering the yoke is almost parallel with with the waistband. Rise is 10" and hem is 8". Very similar to 514s. As typical with shitty mall brands, the stitching is shit, and the entire pair of jeans are riddled with garish red stitching.

I dyed the red hem stitch black and removed the rear pocket stitching.

IMAG4641.jpg

IMAG4637.jpg

IMAG4642.jpg

IMAG4647.jpg

IMAG4655.jpg

IMAG4658.jpg

IMAG4649.jpg
post #40 of 79
those look terrible. surprise.
post #41 of 79
Worst jean:

$10 Uniqlo at NYC store openings.
or
Target Selvedge.

Discuss momofukus.
post #42 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johdus Fanfoozal View Post

Worst jean:
$10 Uniqlo at NYC store openings.
or
Target Selvedge.
Discuss momofukus.

Those TGT joints look pretty bad. I would cut them up and make some nice slevague potholders

and $27 isn't exactly thrift store cheap. why the fucc would you buy 2 pairs? plenty of decent stuff around $50
post #43 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johdus Fanfoozal View Post

Worst jean:
$10 Uniqlo at NYC store openings.
or
Target Selvedge.
Discuss momofukus.

Now, I'd been under the impression from the board that Uniqlo Japan selvage was actually rather decent stuff for the price...?
post #44 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post

I believe Abercrombie & Fitch recently ran selvedge denim too. Now Target. Gap's getting it on for a few seasons now. You can buy "selvedge" denim just about anywhere to fit your mall/big-store style and budget. Fine. You go do that.
I'm going with Whodini and Uncontrol. To a point the more you are willing to pay results in a rather substantial rise in quality, durability, and just general aesthetic appeal. You can buy the real deal, or you can buy the cheap crap put out by such stores. I've been on both ends, and have established a decent niche I like to consider somewhere in the middle.
If you can't afford an Audi or whatnot, then enjoy your Toyota. But don't go and try to claim they're the same thing, despite both being armed with (varying degrees of) an engine.

Not to split hairs, but A&F has been doing selvage jeans on and off for at least 10 years now, probably longer. Gap too. I'm kind of ashamed to admit this, but my first-ever pair of selvage jeans was a pair of A&F that I bought exactly 10 years ago. Then again, just about all of the clothing I bought back then was crap anyway.

I also have a 10-year-old pair of Gap selvage jeans as well. Looking back at those jeans, the A&F actually used better denim than Gap. Go figure.
post #45 of 79
Just post fit pics b/c that's all the matters to me and the biddies.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Selvage Jeans at Target?