or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Terrible Fashion Blog Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Terrible Fashion Blog Thread - Page 28

post #406 of 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase H View Post

I like what I wear, and it's not interfering with my social life, so who cares?

So why are you posting here?
post #407 of 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe View Post


So why are you posting here?

That's actually a really excellent question.

post #408 of 1061
Don't forget to post in WAYWT before you leave in a blaze of glory!
post #409 of 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicmez View Post

If you want to dress well, wear what everyone else is wearing, but do it better. For example, instead of Levi's, wear APC. Instead of desert boots, wear a pair of Butteros or F+B. Instead of a generic flannel, wear a quality one from RRL or a button down from BoO, Gitman, or EG.

I don't agree with this. Never really cared for the stealth wealth thing.

But I do agree that context is important.
post #410 of 1061
Well by that logic, how is wearing most designer stuff different? If you can afford better alternatives and have an interest in fashion/clothing, why wouldn't you want to upgrade? Why do you wear margiela blazers instead of H&M ones? There's no tag on the outside that signifies your jacket as more expensive. You can tell with a trained eye that it's higher quality, but that goes for everything I mentioned as an example as well.

You'd rather everyone who can afford them wear 255$ balenciaga t-shirts to throw the cover off their wealth?
post #411 of 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicmez View Post

Well by that logic, how is wearing most designer stuff different? If you can afford better alternatives and have an interest in fashion/clothing, why wouldn't you want to upgrade? Why do you wear margiela blazers instead of H&M ones? There's no tag on the outside that signifies your jacket as more expensive. You can tell with a trained eye that it's higher quality, but that goes for everything I mentioned as an example as well.

You'd rather everyone who can afford them wear 255$ balenciaga t-shirts to throw the cover off their wealth?

 

Pretty much. Only the people who have interest/care notice.

post #412 of 1061
I'm not going to buy a generic flannel or a RRL flannel because I don't wear flannel shirts. I don't care if everyone else does. They don't interest me. I'm not going to buy a pair of APCs because I don't care for denim. It doesn't matter how much nicer a pair of APCs are than Levis, I'm not interested. I don't need an upgraded version of what everyone else is wearing. I'm comfortable wearing what I like.
post #413 of 1061

Totally agree with the higher-quality pieces bit. And it definitely is practiced, at least at my alma mater. There are some who did pull off a dressier look daily because they made it work without being pretentious. Also helps if you dress-down from time to time. And I agree with Hendrix's statement above as well - do what you want and dress comfortably. Style branding for the sake of style branding is stupid (SF flame-suit on).

post #414 of 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindrop View Post

Pretty much. Only the people who have interest/care notice.

Yeah, see, this train of thought treads a fine line. On the one hand you have subtlety and tastefulness, on the other hand you have a lot of wanking over gimmicky "details" that those "in the know" people notice.

selvedge, pick stitching, etc etc.

Not my scene.
post #415 of 1061
Exactly. Which is the mindset of 90% of the forum. I like it: shows that you appreciate clothing for more than just the price tag or trying to get the wimenz.
Most of the enjoyment I get out of it is knowing that what I'm wearing had some actual thought and design put it into it, and then the actual construction process was performed by someone with considerable skill and a passion for what they do.
post #416 of 1061

Solution: wear a jacket made out of a freaking rug

post #417 of 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicmez View Post

Exactly. Which is the mindset of 90% of the forum. I like it: shows that you appreciate clothing for more than just the price tag or trying to get the wimenz.
Most of the enjoyment I get out of it is knowing that what I'm wearing had some actual thought and design put it into it, and then the actual construction process was performed by someone with considerable skill and a passion for what they do.

I don't disagree, but you're confusing branding and cachet with a-normal clothing.

You don't have to be a brand whore to like Walter van Beirendonck, but you will look different from what people around you are wearing.
post #418 of 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by diniro View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Let's get this back on track. We got another timeless classic gentleman over here:

http://cityofgentlemen.blogspot.com/

Quote:
For colors, I layered rugby stripes with a plaid shirt and a floral print tie.

Quote:
Brushed suede monk straps added texture to the winter feel, but the colored socks kept the outfit relevant to Spring.


Quote:
Like art, fashion comes best when it's organic. When putting an outfit together, too much planning is like not knowing when you're done seasoning a dish or when you've laid down your last brush stroke. Start with a piece you like and then just grab random items to layer on top of it. I wanted to rock the polka dot sweater, but had no clue what to pair it with. Grabbed the eggplant denim next. The polka dot on eggplant was a bit much, so toned it down with brown tweed. Utilitarian tweed and chambray was a good juxtaposition to the polka and purple. Lapel pin and sherbet paisley pocket square added visual interest.


Quote:
This guy was asking me if I was the guy from "City of Gentlemen." I replied, "Well yes, I am."

I'm sure that happened, bro.

 

 

this is hilarious. wish i'd found this thread sooner.

post #419 of 1061
I do not know why, but people love the term "visual interest".
post #420 of 1061
if you need to add visual interest to your outfit, maybe your outfit sucks?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Terrible Fashion Blog Thread