or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Terrible Fashion Blog Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Terrible Fashion Blog Thread - Page 26

post #376 of 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

jesus christ, this isn't that difficult.

if you want to wear a tie, that's fine, but you're going to stand out in a noticeable, and undesirable way. further, i have a feeling that the suits, sportcoats and ties you're choosing to wear -- based on your age -- are going to look like shit. i too am in college, and i work with a lot of students. i see hundreds of students a week. and none of them wear ties. they wear sweatpants, they wear jeans, they wear tshirts or button downs. they do not wear suits. they do not wear sportcoats.

further, just to preempt your inevitably reply -- i don't care that some people give you compliments. compliments are a horrible metric because most people dress like shit and have no knowledge of fashion. if you want lots of compliments in real life, don't look for advice, or approval, here.

I don't really see why you're getting snippy about it. I like to dress the way I like to dress. Any attention I get from it, be it positive or negative, doesn't bother me. Life's too short to worry about what some random, tenuous acquaintances in class think of how I dress, and it's certainly too short to worry about what people on the internet think of how I dress. If I dress a couple notches more formally than I should, well, I may as well focus on dressing as well as I can at that level of formality.

 

Side note: I find it confusing that you mention that college students all wear x as if to justify only wearing x as a college student, and then almost immediately follow that with "most people dress like shit." I wasn't going to bring up getting complimented again, but since you did, I also find it confusing that you say I'd stand out in an undesirable way -- which I'd imagine would be people thinking I dress badly -- but then say that the compliments I get -- which represent people thinking I dress well, not badly -- don't count. Would you be willing to clarify?

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

One time I wore a suit to uni.

I had a skype interview in the conference room.

I looked fucking amazing.

Didn't get the job though .frown.gif

You couldn't just have taken the interview in your dorm?

 

Sorry bout the job, by the way. 

post #377 of 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase H View Post

 

Side note: I find it confusing that you mention that college students all wear x as if to justify only wearing x as a college student, and then almost immediately follow that with "most people dress like shit." I wasn't going to bring up getting complimented again, but since you did, I also find it confusing that you say I'd stand out in an undesirable way -- which I'd imagine would be people thinking I dress badly -- but then say that the compliments I get -- which represent people thinking I dress well, not badly -- don't count. Would you be willing to clarify?

 

Most people do dress like shit. For the people that do dress well, most are casual, or at the most button down and chinos (no tie).

 

People commenting on your clothes doesn't necessarily mean they think it looks good. If I wore a neon green suit I'd certainly get comments but that doesn't mean it looks good.

post #378 of 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbman View Post

Most people do dress like shit. For the people that do dress well, most are casual, or at the most button down and chinos (no tie).

 

People commenting on your clothes doesn't necessarily mean they think it looks good. If I wore a neon green suit I'd certainly get comments but that doesn't mean it looks good.

A compliment and a comment are different things. I didn't mean to bring up compliments to justify my clothing (at least not in the sense of "if these people like it, it must be good") but rather to indicate that at least a substantial proportion of people like the way I dress, and therefore if I did care about what others thought of me (and I would be lying if I said I didn't at least a tiny bit), the other however-much-percent would have to be spitting at my feet to make me change the way I dress. Or, in other words, I'm not getting bad reactions.

post #379 of 1027
it's not that compliments are disingenuous (I truly believe that most people don't know what they actually like*), it's that the ways of dressing that attract compliments aren't necessarily in line with what you'd be hoping.

For example, simply by wearing a suit at class you're standing out. Things that stand out attract comments. Since most people are nice (or at least try not to be rude), most of those comments will be compliments.

Not that I have a problem with standing out...
post #380 of 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

it's not that compliments are disingenuous (I truly believe that most people don't know what they actually like*), it's that the ways of dressing that attract compliments aren't necessarily in line with what you'd be hoping.

For example, simply by wearing a suit at class you're standing out. Things that stand out attract comments. Since most people are nice (or at least try not to be rude), most of those comments will be compliments.

Not that I have a problem with standing out...

That's fair. However, I don't particularly have a problem with standing out, either.

post #381 of 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by g transistor View Post

Come on, guys. If anything, wearing a suit to campus is like, the most contextual thing you can do. Think about it: "He's wearing a suit! I'm so wet right now. He means business. Do you think he already has an internship at G. Sachs? Swoon!" We've all seen college fashunz blogs and what makes girls think you're fashionable. It's not a fashunz party and it's most definitely not Styleforum, so who gives a shit if bro thinks a suit is suitable for college?

I for one am jealous of these dudes. I could never do it myself, wear a suit on campus just cause, but they get all the compliments! Meanwhile I'm at the corner of the dining hall begging for compliments to be dropped in to my R. Plank hat while I wear my Junya and other obscure Japanese brands I'm embarrassed to explain.

They may get compliments .. but 99% of them are subconsciously thinking "why the **** is this guy wearing a suit?"
post #382 of 1027
This thread has become a terrible fashion blog. Everything comes full circle.
post #383 of 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad-t View Post

This thread has become a terrible fashion blog. Everything comes full circle.

Not quite. My way of dressing may be objectively terrible, but I'm certainly not trying to pretend it's superior to that of anyone else. It's just how I dress.

post #384 of 1027
can you guys stop responding to this assclown?
post #385 of 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post

can you guys stop responding to this assclown?

... the fuck was that for?

post #386 of 1027

I get that you don't like me, and you don't like how I dress, but how does that make me a faggot or an assclown?

post #387 of 1027

Fashion is all contextual. Try wearing your Rick Owens on the desert planet Tatooine. Then we'll see who's fashionable. cloud.gif

post #388 of 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorbiant View Post

Fashion is all contextual. Try wearing your Rick Owens on the desert planet Tatooine. Then we'll see who's fashionable. cloud.gif

If you have the chutzpah to wear that much leather on Tatooine, probably you.

post #389 of 1027
what does chutzpah mean
post #390 of 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

what does chutzpah mean

Balls. If you have the balls to wear Rick Owens on Tatooine, you are probably the most fashionable person around.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Terrible Fashion Blog Thread