or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Boots n' jeans n' wintry weather
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Boots n' jeans n' wintry weather

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
So, I don't own any serious boots, which is fine for now because winters are pretty mild where I live. However, I'm eyeing a potential move to harsher climes, which could mean lots of walking through snow/slush/mud/salt/etc., which would probably mean I'd get with some heavy-duty classics, like Chips or Fryes.

However, my preferred jean silhouette is along the lines of the NS/JR Cali - a slight taper, or a slim straight leg, a la Grifters. You see where I'm going with this...

Do you tuck your slim straight jeans into the boots? Cuff them extra high and wear them on top of the boots? Or does this combo just not work - do you have to stick with slightly fuller straight legs or bootcuts?
post #2 of 14
Any decent winter boots will be bulky, so your slim jeans won't work. Just suck it up on those days that you have to wear boots, and they're usually not that often. It really sucks when you have wet and cold feet, regardless of how fabulous you look.
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
However, my preferred jean silhouette is along the lines of the NS/JR Cali - a slight taper, or a slim straight leg, a la Grifters. You see where I'm going with this...

Do you tuck your slim straight jeans into the boots? Cuff them extra high and wear them on top of the boots? Or does this combo just not work - do you have to stick with slightly fuller straight legs or bootcuts?

i think it looks a little funny wth the APC NS and boots, but you can pull it off. but honestly how many days will that be? just wear the straightest leg jean you have (or wear cords or whatever) that day. personally i never tuck into my boots.

also take a look at nudie, the bootcut ola is a very mild bootcut and works great with boots (duh).
post #4 of 14
just buy a pair of leather high tops and put on a pair of wool socks. Works 99% of the time for me and I live in a terrible climate.

or buy a pair of bootcut jeans
post #5 of 14
My Blundstones so far have worked great in the winter. Mind you, it's been one fuckin' mild winter so far (8 C today!). These are great in slush, and shit like that; but slippery on ice. I don't tuck. IMO, they look pretty decent with a slim straight jean since they aren't super chunky. I cuffed once when I didn't want to get salt stains on my jeans, but I ended up with the salt and sand inside the cuff, so I'll just suck it up now. Maybe instead of showing off my wallet fades and honeycombs, I'll show off my salt stains?
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
Yeah, right after I posted I saw that Frye makes a thick-soled Chelsea-style boot with a pretty slender circumference that I think would do me alright.

Plus, as Ott said, I can always just grab some rigid 517s for boot days. I suppose I shouldn't shy away from them in the first place; it's been said around here plenty: if you're using 'em for boots, it ain't trendy - just good sense, and a classic look.
post #7 of 14
I think a slim tapered and slim straight can work fine with some boots. If I were to throw a boot on with those type of jeans I'd probably do something similar to this guy: http://supertalk.superfuture.com/sho...postcount=1158 Tricker's also come in a commando sole, and I know there are some other country boots that do too, like the Grenson Ilkley (one I'm currently eyeing). Most probably aren't waterproof, but they'd likely work well as long as you don't stand in big puddles all the time. But all these are rather chunky boots, so slim jeans will definitely create a different effect than usual.
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious_George
I think a slim tapered and slim straight can work fine with some boots. If I were to throw a boot on with those type of jeans I'd probably do something similar to this guy: http://supertalk.superfuture.com/sho...postcount=1158 Tricker's also come in a commando sole, and I know there are some other country boots that do too, like the Grenson Ilkley (one I'm currently eyeing). Most probably aren't waterproof, but they'd likely work well as long as you don't stand in big puddles all the time. But all these are rather chunky boots, so slim jeans will definitely create a different effect than usual.


I love those boots, anyone have any idea what they are?

FWIW, My 501s fit over both my redwings (pecos-y ones) and my cheap ass dickies steeltoe work boots.
post #9 of 14
I haven't tried any heavy duty boots, but I have some black leather ankle boots that look fantastic with my New Standards. I live in Michigan so I'm anticipating that they'll be fine for winter since they're waterproof (if not exceptionally warm), but since it's basically been November weather for the last three months, I haven't had a chance to find out. Ah, global warming...
post #10 of 14
No, guys, the science isn't firm yet.
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben
I love those boots, anyone have any idea what they are?
Tricker's Stow I believe, or else something that looks like them. http://www.trickers.com/Collections/...ntry_boot.html
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by prozach1576
I haven't tried any heavy duty boots, but I have some black leather ankle boots that look fantastic with my New Standards. I live in Michigan so I'm anticipating that they'll be fine for winter since they're waterproof (if not exceptionally warm), but since it's basically been November weather for the last three months, I haven't had a chance to find out. Ah, global warming...
you attend U of M?
post #13 of 14
another forum member recommended these

http://styleforum.net/showthread.php...ard#post288578

not sure about this specific model, but heard the quality of rm williams is good.
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucks
you attend U of M?

Yeah...you?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Boots n' jeans n' wintry weather