or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Trussing - Page 2

post #16 of 53
Usually nothing in the cavity. Maybe a handful of thyme sprigs.
post #17 of 53
Just out of curiosity, does one way impart any benefit over the other?

Hand trussing would seem to be simpler, but I'm not much of a seamstress myself (is there a male version of seamstress? Seamster?)
post #18 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

Just out of curiosity, does one way impart any benefit over the other?
Hand trussing would seem to be simpler, but I'm not much of a seamstress myself (is there a male version of seamstress? Seamster?)

Everybody has his own point of view, but I think there are several benefits to using a needle.
post #19 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post

Everybody has his own point of view, but I think there are several benefits to using a needle.

Could you expound on them please?
post #20 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

Could you expound on them please?

More compact. Breast is better protected. No string lines on the cooked bird. Also easier, once you know the technique. You can get a loose bird without a needle, even if you are good at it, but with a needle it is almost impossible.
post #21 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post

More compact. Breast is better protected. No string lines on the cooked bird. Also easier, once you know the technique. You can get a loose bird without a needle, even if you are good at it, but with a needle it is almost impossible.

I agree. With the needle you of course are catching a piece of the bird's tissue and thus the twine will not slip out of place, especially if you like to flip the bird during cooking.

Do you guys use a meat thermometer in the thigh? It is one of the greatest guarantees that you will have a perfectly-cooked bird.
post #22 of 53
Thread Starter 
With an unstuffed bird, the "juices run clear" test is foolproof. Bascially, you take a meat fork, shove that in the cavity, tip the bird back, and jiuces will run out. If pink, cook longer.

A smallish bird (3 pounds give or take) without stuffing cooked on a pan in the oven at 450 will roast through in 40-45 minutes. Baste often.
post #23 of 53
How do you best go about reheating a piece?

I had a thigh/leg left over (from a bird that was a pinch over done) and while the other one was good the night I made it...this one came out bad.

I put it in a pan at 350 until it was heated through. A lot of the exposed skin had been down against the vegetables I roasted it on top of so it hadn't crisped so i figured heating it uncovered and adding some fresh S&P would make it edible.

End result was pretty bland and nothing like the freshly roasted bird from a few nights ago.
post #24 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

With an unstuffed bird, the "juices run clear" test is foolproof. Bascially, you take a meat fork, shove that in the cavity, tip the bird back, and jiuces will run out. If pink, cook longer.
A smallish bird (3 pounds give or take) without stuffing cooked on a pan in the oven at 450 will roast through in 40-45 minutes. Baste often.

This test is dependable, but I question the foolproof quality of it. What about, say, if you brine a bird? In my experience (limited) a brined bird runs clear at a lower temperature and could result in pulling the bird out too soon. Of course, modalities can work very well for some people and not for others.
post #25 of 53
I'm the opposite of Horns. I worry about the chicken being over, rather than under, cooked so I worry that the juices running clear will take me further than optimal cooking. I use a thermometer and take it out lower than would be suggested, then give it a nice, long rest. At least that is my current thinking, since 9/10 times I just check to see if the juices are clear, though usually by pricking the thing than using the cavity. I don't know if that gives a different result, it is just how I learned.
post #26 of 53
Don't get me wrong, I despise stick-to-your-teeth overcooked bird. When I check for doneness on a bird I wonder if the juices have been clear for five seconds or ten minutes, but 160 degrees is indisputable.
post #27 of 53
i'm halfway between matt and manton. i pop the wings under like matt does, and i truss the legs like manton. well, no, not as well, but same general idea. it takes about a minute ... or as long as it would take matt or manton to tourne a bushel of carrots.
post #28 of 53
Super trad style.

233
post #29 of 53
So, thinking of this thread, because it was interesting, here is another, more arcane way of trussing a chicken. The lumps on the breast are not cancer, they are butter under the skin.

post #30 of 53
matt, I see the whole leg/feet in your pics, is there a reason for that or just your preference. Is the butter (seasoned?) your only seasoning? What kind of bird is that?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home