or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › I need career options without college
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I need career options without college - Page 2

post #16 of 43
Elevator jobs are among the best for blue collar workers. Installation, repair, and inspection.

My father-in-law does elevator work, he makes good coin and enjoys his work. The union is very supportive and they have a great sense of pride nationally. They aren't aholes like a lot of the unions. They haven't had a strike in 20+ years.
post #17 of 43
^

I heard that as well. The elevators union is one of the best.
post #18 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ter1413 View Post

More info:
How old/experince/currently employed/etc?????

21/retail/ i have a job interview at allsaints in soho tomorrow.
post #19 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhowie View Post

Elevator jobs are among the best for blue collar workers. Installation, repair, and inspection.
My father-in-law does elevator work, he makes good coin and enjoys his work. The union is very supportive and they have a great sense of pride nationally. They aren't aholes like a lot of the unions. They haven't had a strike in 20+ years.

how do i go about getting a licence/training (whatever) you need?
post #20 of 43
Research it. I know nothing about the field apart from what I posted. I know he didn't go to college though.
post #21 of 43
In the event you do land something, a little pieve of advice, take night classes or teach yourself how to code.

Trust me, if you can prove you have skills, no one cares what your previous experience was and you can make some mad money.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around it because I really don't want to learn it, but I am trying to start.
post #22 of 43
Good topic. Do you just not want to go to college or is it because of financial reasons? One of the reasons I've joined the Air Force is for helping pay for college. The actual money you make (if you're enlisted) isn't very good, but all the benefits and free cost-of-living, training, job experience, etc you get through it are worthwhile.

One friend of mine is a floorhand on an oil rig in ND, he makes good money and he didn't even graduate HS.

Also, look into the railroad as a conductor perhaps. Idk if that's an option in NY though.
post #23 of 43
I would recommend blackjack dealer at an indian casino.

I know there are a few in New York. Minimum wage plus tips which at a decent place can be $120/day. No college necessary, just clean credit/criminal record to get gaming license. Go to dealer school, for a few months to learn basic games, I recommend taking the extra time to learn craps and roulette.

I work in Southern California, even during down economic times people still find money to spend on their vices. Health care, 401k, PTO, free meals during your shift, uniforms provided. Best kept secret...
post #24 of 43
^I never even thought of that, good choice if you can stomach plumes of smoke and belligerent azns.
post #25 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturdays View Post

In the event you do land something, a little pieve of advice, take night classes or teach yourself how to code.
Trust me, if you can prove you have skills, no one cares what your previous experience was and you can make some mad money.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around it because I really don't want to learn it, but I am trying to start.

Right now there is a very active and accessible coding community involved with the Android Smart phone Apps, if coding is an interest.

The HVAC field is now and will be a great field for self employment and moderate sized small businesses. The systems have become much more complicated and require much more adjustments and knowledgeable installations to achieve the target efficiencies. It will also require quite a bit of continuing education as there are going to be lots of evolutions.
post #26 of 43
Marines? Crab fishing?
post #27 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post

Right now there is a very active and accessible coding community involved with the Android Smart phone Apps, if coding is an interest.
The HVAC field is now and will be a great field for self employment and moderate sized small businesses. The systems have become much more complicated and require much more adjustments and knowledgeable installations to achieve the target efficiencies. It will also require quite a bit of continuing education as there are going to be lots of evolutions.

Hmm interesting..

What would be the first step to learn coding for Android/iOS Apps or even OS X Apps? I would assume C and then C #...followed by Cocoa for Apple/Mac related things
post #28 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturdays View Post

Hmm interesting..
What would be the first step to learn coding for Android/iOS Apps or even OS X Apps? I would assume C and then C #...followed by Cocoa for Apple/Mac related things

I'm not a coder and have not ever been. My university course was so long ago that it was in Fortran. I got my first computer in 1986 and have now been amazed for 25 years at the speed of the progression. Recently I've moved up to a smart phone and have been slogging through a learning curve there. One of the "communities" devoted to the Android system is Droid-Life. There is an interview posted there in the last few days which covers how one developer became interested. She has evidently some good work but is possibly more noteable as she a female app developer. It might give you some ideas for getting involved.

If you want to get a feel for how the Android coding commuity works, you can find several articles about the developers of the Android app Iris. It is a smart speech app that is an attempt to duplicate the Apple app Siri. This should get you started on investigating Iris.

Good Luck in figuring things out. If you are lucky you will get to have a restart about every ten years.
post #29 of 43
really depends on your location. where i'm living, a trade > a degree
post #30 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post

I'm not a coder and have not ever been. My university course was so long ago that it was in Fortran. I got my first computer in 1986 and have now been amazed for 25 years at the speed of the progression. Recently I've moved up to a smart phone and have been slogging through a learning curve there. One of the "communities" devoted to the Android system is Droid-Life. There is an interview posted there in the last few days which covers how one developer became interested. She has evidently some good work but is possibly more noteable as she a female app developer. It might give you some ideas for getting involved.
If you want to get a feel for how the Android coding commuity works, you can find several articles about the developers of the Android app Iris. It is a smart speech app that is an attempt to duplicate the Apple app Siri. This should get you started on investigating Iris.
Good Luck in figuring things out. If you are lucky you will get to have a restart about every ten years.

Yeah my friend had Iris on hid Android seemed to do everything my Siri did.

In any case, I think I will check that out. I am somewhat interested in learning coding. I am pretty well versed when it comes to software/technology and computers in general so I know I have the aptitude to do it.. just currently I think i' lacking the motivation. Some sort of barrier has been blocking me from learning code, a lot of it being ignorance of what it actually entails.

Anyway to the OP, if you can surpass the barrier of not learning it - I have a few friends/acquaintances who have studied coding formally and another who did it on his own, they have started businesses and make apps and are doing pretty well for themselves.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › I need career options without college