I've had iphone since v1 so I am not a hater. Someone correct any of the below if I have is wrong, but Apple's whole concept of "cloud", "backup", and "sync" is fucked up. To me these things should be one and the same, but no:
- in order to backup the phone, need to have itunes running. Fuck, I hate itunes and run it as little as possible.
- when you do back it up via itunes, it doesn't save any music. Okay, I can understand this limitation but it's clearly not a true backup. You need to backup your music some other way, i e with a usb cable
- are the photos backed up in itunes? I believe so, but I am not sure. What if I have 15gb worth of HD clips I took, and I haven't purchased any extra icloud? no idea. Does it save any of them? none? What's the backup limit? I have selected to NOT hold a local backup copy, so where is it?
- now, photo stream on icloud.exe: what the fuck is this other than a temporary gallery. nothing is saved permanently and nothing at all is saved until you run icloud, a separate application. And it doesn't stream any photos prior to when you upgraded to IOS5, meaning I have 300 photos on my phone, and 8 photos on photo stream. And isn't this redundant if photos are saved during an itunes backup? yes? no?
- icloud.com - what the fuck is this? can't even view my photo stream here, so what is it for?
- in order to certain settings on the phone, you still need to cable it, run itunes and right click on it. why?
Edited by pebblegrain - 10/31/11 at 3:21pm