or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Appropriate to wear double monks for job interview?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Appropriate to wear double monks for job interview?

post #1 of 40
Thread Starter 
I have an interview for investment banking in a few days and wondering whether I can wear my C&J double monks or should I go for something else?
post #2 of 40
As a recent purchaser of a st of double monks, I still say no way.

You don't have to wear black cap toes, but I would not venture over to double monks.

If you're wearing a blue suit, I think a nice pair of brown half brogues would work nicely.
post #3 of 40
I thought i-bankers were all about the cap toe? Anyway, I'd say no on the dub monks as well.
post #4 of 40
You certainly can, and it's likely the interviewer won't even notice.

But you'll know that we know, and that a group of internet people are anonymously judging you for it. That will cause you great unease; thus causing you to blow the interview.
post #5 of 40
I feel like if you have a pair of C&J dbl monks, you probably also have a bunch of other nice shoes, including semibrogues/captoes etc.

Why not wait till you have the big shot job to express the individuality?
post #6 of 40
Agree, I have lowdnes and wouldn't wear them anywhere near an interview room.

They do look sweet everywhere else though!
post #7 of 40
217
post #8 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

You certainly can, and it's likely the interviewer won't even notice.

+1
The odds are highly with you. Chances are, your C&J's are going to be a lot nicer than what your interviewer will be wearing.
Don't be worried about it. Best of luck on the interview.
post #9 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

You certainly can, and it's likely the interviewer won't even notice.
But you'll know that we know, and that a group of internet people are anonymously judging you for it. That will cause you great unease; thus causing you to blow the interview.

It will be noticed but not discussed. However it will shape the thinking when everyone is asked for their "Top X Picks." When I ran analyst recruiting I remember looking for the smart kid with zero ego and a ridiculous work ethic (aka future indentured servant) and team first mentality that was socially adequate that dressed okay, but not quite right due to a small budget. You can fix the wardrobe later. All signs of a great analyst that will work hard and have minimal entitlement issues.

Anyway stick with captoes.
post #10 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by PL92106 View Post

It will be noticed but not discussed. However it will shape the thinking when everyone is asked for their "Top X Picks." When I ran analyst recruiting I remember looking for the smart kid with zero ego and a ridiculous work ethic (aka future indentured servant) and team first mentality that was socially adequate that dressed okay, but not quite right due to a small budget. You can fix the wardrobe later. All signs of a great analyst that will work hard and have minimal entitlement issues.
Anyway stick with captoes.

Read: if you want to be hired as a drone, dress like one.

Wear the monks, fuck it.
post #11 of 40
Drone, investment banking analyst. interchangeable terms. its a two year sacrifice so you can move in to something better.
post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

I feel like if you have a pair of C&J dbl monks, you probably also have a bunch of other nice shoes, including semibrogues/captoes etc.

Why not wait till you have the big shot job to express the individuality?
This. Db's may draw attention if noticed, which during an interview, is not the attention you want. I'd dress conservatively for an interview, and I don't consider my db's as conservative.
post #13 of 40
Love all my DBs, but would not think of wearing them for an interview, the same way I would not wear an unusual tie. You want the attention on your personality and what you have to say, not on your feet.
post #14 of 40
Yes, no one will even notice. Your feet are not being interviewed unless your interlocuter is a fetishist.
post #15 of 40
The conventional answer is no. However, I think a bright pocket square would attract much more attention.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Appropriate to wear double monks for job interview?