or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Cologne for an aspiring young gentleman
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cologne for an aspiring young gentleman

post #1 of 60
Thread Starter 

I'm 22 and just began classes at a tier 1 law school.  I've tried to transform my image into a more professional one; I wear slacks and an ironed dress shirt every day and just bought a snazzy pea coat that makes me look like a boss.  I feel as though a young gentleman such as myself could use a fragrance to complete the look - the problem is that I've never worn cologne and the Axe spray I used in college doesn't seem to cut it anymore.  I'm not sure if it matters, but I'm 5'10", white, athletically built, and my general demeanor is austere.

 
For class
I'm not sure what cologne I should wear to class, but I know that it needs to be subtle (I surely won't be using a lot).  I wear blue/light blue/white striped/patterned dress shirts and a mix of black, grey, and khaki slacks every day.  I'll be wearing a black single breasted car coat and leather gloves when it gets colder.  
 
Going out formally
I recently went to a "roundtable dinner" at my school at which business attire was required.  I wore a navy blue suit and a simple gold watch; I was feeling crisp, but I wish I had had a nice scent to add to the outfit.  I need a cologne that will compliment traditional suit attire at a formal event (for young men, of course).
 
Going out casually
My school is in the heart of NYC; there are plenty of places to go when I need to socialize.  I've only been to a club here once and went bar hopping twice. (I don't go out much [I study straight through most weekends.])  My usual going-out look is a dark dress shirt made to be untucked, possibly rolled sleeves, dark jeans, and white all purpose sneakers.  Sometimes I wear a dark polo over an undershirt instead.  I've been using Axe spray so far, but again, I feel as though a nice cologne would be a nice touch.
 
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question but I figured this definitely has to do with style and where better to ask.  Also, sorry for making my first post a request; I just don't have enough of a fashion sense to make a contribution of my own!  I really could use your help, and any input I get will be appreciated more than you know.  Thanks for reading.
post #2 of 60
Cologne-related threads usually go in Health & Body but there are sometimes some in here.

The scent you wear is quite a personal thing so really you need to try a few before you know what you like. Personally I like stuff like Millesime Imperiale (by Creed), Chergui (by Serge Lutens) and Endymion or Opus (both by Penhaligons).
post #3 of 60
Thread Starter 

I've heard that as advice before, but I don't buy it; I want tried-and-true cologne that other people will appreciate, not what happens to smell good to me.

 

I'll only be smelling the cologne for a minute when I put it on and I'm sure any commercially sold scent wouldn't offend my senses.  I want to create the facade that I know something about cologne; picking whatever smells good to me won't quite do that.

post #4 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snew View Post

I'm 22 and just began classes at a tier 1 law school.  I've tried to transform my image into a more professional one; I wear slacks and an ironed dress shirt every day and just bought a snazzy pea coat that makes me look like a boss.  I feel as though a young gentleman such as myself could use a fragrance to complete the look - the problem is that I've never worn cologne and the Axe spray I used in college doesn't seem to cut it anymore.  I'm not sure if it matters, but I'm 5'10", white, athletically built, and my general demeanor is austere.

 
For class
I'm not sure what cologne I should wear to class, but I know that it needs to be subtle (I surely won't be using a lot).  I wear blue/light blue/white striped/patterned dress shirts and a mix of black, grey, and khaki slacks every day.  I'll be wearing a black single breasted car coat and leather gloves when it gets colder.  
 
Going out formally
I recently went to a "roundtable dinner" at my school at which business attire was required.  I wore a navy blue suit and a simple gold watch; I was feeling crisp, but I wish I had had a nice scent to add to the outfit.  I need a cologne that will compliment traditional suit attire at a formal event (for young men, of course).
 
Going out casually
My school is in the heart of NYC; there are plenty of places to go when I need to socialize.  I've only been to a club here once and went bar hopping twice. (I don't go out much [I study straight through most weekends.])  My usual going-out look is a dark dress shirt made to be untucked, possibly rolled sleeves, dark jeans, and white all purpose sneakers.  Sometimes I wear a dark polo over an undershirt instead.  I've been using Axe spray so far, but again, I feel as though a nice cologne would be a nice touch.
 
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question but I figured this definitely has to do with style and where better to ask.  Also, sorry for making my first post a request; I just don't have enough of a fashion sense to make a contribution of my own!  I really could use your help, and any input I get will be appreciated more than you know.  Thanks for reading.

Your a young chap, so i'll keep my suggestions contemporary and attainable.

Class - Chanel Bleu, it's clean but not uptight and it's pleasing to most noses.

Formal - Armani Code, it was literally designed with a tuxedo in mind, modern gentlemen scent.

Casual - Dolce & Gabbana The One, ladies love this, and it's perfect for social occasions.

All of these should be easy and inexpensive to obtain, and you can get them anywhere, so you should not have a problem sampling them.
post #5 of 60
OP you are overthinking this. Just choose one you like.
post #6 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum View Post

Cologne-related threads usually go in Health & Body but there are sometimes some in here.
The scent you wear is quite a personal thing so really you need to try a few before you know what you like. Personally I like stuff like Millesime Imperiale (by Creed), Chergui (by Serge Lutens) and Endymion or Opus (both by Penhaligons).

I'm liking Creed scents more and more, Green Irish Tweed is one of my favorites.
post #7 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snew View Post

I've heard that as advice before, but I don't buy it; I want tried-and-true cologne that other people will appreciate, not what happens to smell good to me.

 


Do you dress in clothes that the internet tells you to wear, or do you dress in whatever expresses your own personality? Hopefully the later, and that is also how you should choose your cologne.

Also, skin chemistry means a cologne that smells great on someone else could smell less than great on you; another reason you need to try them before you can choose.
post #8 of 60
Thread Starter 

I choose clothes primarily based off of what I see other people wearing, not off of what I'd wear if given the choice.  So does literally everyone else; think again if you disagree.

 

Cologne is different only in that I can't see (or determine by smell) what my peers are wearing.

post #9 of 60
Fragrances differ from clothing in that they are a substitute for natural body odor. A 'maskirovka.'

So you need to determine what you think you should smell like--a flower? a fruit? some kind of food or herb? wood? leather? whisky? tobacco? Or some combination?

Some people prefer unisex fragrances, some like light citrus-y fragrances for summer days and heavier darker fragrances for winter or overcast days.

Once you decide, you have to know that better fragrances often change over the period of time you're wearing them. Not only do the chemicals react with your own personal chemistry but "notes" often emerge or fade or give way to other notes.There's 'top notes' and 'base notes' and in-between and what you smell when you first put it on won't be what you smell an hour later.

Also colognes are, IIRC, the weakest and shortest lived of fragrances. Most better men's fragrances are Eau du Toilettes.

Nothing you buy in Macys is likely to be very outstanding or distinctive. So if you would buy your clothing based on what you see people wearing coming out of Macys, you won't have any problem finding something that suits in the way of fragrance there. If only because they're all pretty much the same thing.
post #10 of 60
Thread Starter 

So far I'm leaning toward the following.  Am I off-base?

 

Class: Boss Bottled 

 

Formal: Dolce & Gabbana - The One

 

Casual: Calvin Klein Men - Euphoria

post #11 of 60
Thread Starter 

You seem to know what you're talking about.  I don't think the level of customization you suppose is necessary, though - I smell like nothing, so I don't need a smell to go with my smell.  I just need help picking a mainstream brand that will make it seem like I know something about cologne (or Eau du Toilettes, which I thought were the same thing until just now).  As far as what I think I should smell like...I have no idea, nor could I have any idea.  I gave a pretty detailed description of what I'm going for; do you have any specific advice for me that allows me to forego unnecessary effort learning about scents myself?

post #12 of 60
What cologne did Patrick Bateman wear? I have a feeling you'd appreciate something similar.
post #13 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snew View Post

just bought a snazzy pea coat that makes me look like a boss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snew View Post

I've heard that as advice before, but I don't buy it; I want tried-and-true cologne that other people will appreciate, not what happens to smell good to me.

 

I'll only be smelling the cologne for a minute when I put it on and I'm sure any commercially sold scent wouldn't offend my senses.  I want to create the facade that I know something about cologne; picking whatever smells good to me won't quite do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snew View Post

I choose clothes primarily based off of what I see other people wearing, not off of what I'd wear if given the choice.  So does literally everyone else; think again if you disagree.

 

Cologne is different only in that I can't see (or determine by smell) what my peers are wearing.


come on man, you are not being yourself and that will be obvious. You are attempting to project something that isn't there. Therefore, no matter the clothes or the cologne, you will look fake.
post #14 of 60
Thread Starter 

Yep.  I literally went out and bought leather gloves because I remembered how classy they made him look.  

 

The difference between me and him is that he probably made 500 grand a year in that movie; I'm living on a 10k/year stipend.

post #15 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snew View Post

Yep.  I literally went out and bought leather gloves because I remembered how classy they made him look.  

 

The difference between me and him is that he probably made 500 grand a year in that movie; I'm living on a 10k/year stipend.


Can i ask why you aren't confident enough in yourself to do/wear what you like?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Cologne for an aspiring young gentleman