Very instructive, it's always great to learn! thanks for sharing
Related Forum Threads
- FRIDAY CHALLENGE 27/11-2015: CHALKS AND PINS Last post on 12/5/15 at 11:54am in Classic Menswear
- Styleforum Gives 2015 - Our annual holiday charity auctions for the Ronald McDonald House. Last post on 1/8/16 at 1:11pm in Classic Menswear
- GREY/GRAY FRIDAY CHALLENGE 30th October 2015 Last post on 11/4/15 at 4:27am in Classic Menswear
- Styleforum and A&H present "The Proper Kit" Trunk show in NYC, Nov 7 2015 Last post on 12/4/15 at 9:55pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 8/29/15 at 4:46pm in Classic Menswear
Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
Last edited: 2/8/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200Last edited: 11/24/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Canvas and suit construction - Page 3
Styleforum Top Pickspost #32 of 7010/11/11 at 3:28pmpost #33 of 7010/11/11 at 3:41pmpost #34 of 7010/11/11 at 6:03pmpost #35 of 7010/12/11 at 8:23pmpost #36 of 7010/13/11 at 5:58amThread Starterpost #37 of 7010/13/11 at 7:36ampost #38 of 7010/13/11 at 8:04ampost #39 of 7010/13/11 at 8:29ampost #40 of 7010/13/11 at 8:56amThread StarterFor a variety of reasons, I think that this thread should be about construction techniques without referencing any particular brands (i.e. is this brand or that brand full canvas or not?) Please refer any brand-specific questions to a different thread, or, ideally retailer or rep who is familiar with those brands.
I will clean up some of the previous posts that refer to specific brands.post #41 of 7010/13/11 at 1:20pm
Thank you so much for posting this. To me, half-canvass construction is one of them hardest things to understand in this trade.
Sorry for the OT. Do you have any recommendations for sources of good quality material used for canvassing you mentioned? I would love to supply these to my tailors when I have them make my garments.post #42 of 7010/13/11 at 1:33pmThread StarterQuote:
Most tailors will use different weights of canvas depending on the weight of the cloth so it's best to let your tailor do his own sourcing. Otherwise you could try B Black and Sons or Richard James Weldon.post #43 of 7010/13/11 at 2:14pmQuote:
Appreciate it, I will check those out. I also enjoyed peaking through your blog. I have a fascination with suit crafting, there is so much too it when you start digging - unbelievable. I have lots to learn :).post #44 of 7010/19/11 at 12:46pmCan we talk about the bridal tape along the roll line? Is it really needed for soft constructed suits? On my heavier things you can feel where it is holding in the chest piece relative to the canvas, as in the canvas goes past the bridal tape and into the lapel. On my softer stuff it doesn't really seem to support the roll of the lapel and there is almost no difference in thickness between the chest and lapel.
So, why does it need to be there? Can the chest piece just be either padstitched, or zigzagged right to the canvas leaving the edge free?post #45 of 7010/19/11 at 1:36pmThread Starter
- Canvas and suit construction
Styleforum Top Picks
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 58 seconds ago
- › Where can I find hangers similar to Thom Browne's ? 6 minutes ago
- › Classic Menswear Lounge 10 minutes ago
- › CAROL CHRISTIAN POELL 10 minutes ago
- › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here... 12 minutes ago
- › Edward Green UK9/US9.5F Dark Oak 26 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 26 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 29 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 37 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 39 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Exclusive Indochino Sale! 2 Suits for 800$...
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?