Very instructive, it's always great to learn! thanks for sharing
Related Forum Threads
- The Kent Wang Wedding Photo Contest Last post on Yesterday at 11:53 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- Wolf vs. Goat Official Affiliate Thread - New April 16, 2015 Last post on Yesterday at 11:03 am in Streetwear and Denim
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 4/20/15 at 12:03pm in Classic Menswear
David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
Last edited: 7/26/15
- What I learned from my own wedding day, and how it can help you.Last edited: 7/9/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Canvas and suit construction - Page 3
Styleforum Top Pickspost #32 of 7010/11/11 at 3:28pmpost #33 of 7010/11/11 at 3:41pmpost #34 of 7010/11/11 at 6:03pmpost #35 of 7010/12/11 at 8:23pmpost #36 of 7010/13/11 at 5:58amThread Starterpost #37 of 7010/13/11 at 7:36ampost #38 of 7010/13/11 at 8:04ampost #39 of 7010/13/11 at 8:29ampost #40 of 7010/13/11 at 8:56amThread StarterFor a variety of reasons, I think that this thread should be about construction techniques without referencing any particular brands (i.e. is this brand or that brand full canvas or not?) Please refer any brand-specific questions to a different thread, or, ideally retailer or rep who is familiar with those brands.
I will clean up some of the previous posts that refer to specific brands.post #41 of 7010/13/11 at 1:20pm
Thank you so much for posting this. To me, half-canvass construction is one of them hardest things to understand in this trade.
Sorry for the OT. Do you have any recommendations for sources of good quality material used for canvassing you mentioned? I would love to supply these to my tailors when I have them make my garments.post #42 of 7010/13/11 at 1:33pmThread StarterQuote:
Most tailors will use different weights of canvas depending on the weight of the cloth so it's best to let your tailor do his own sourcing. Otherwise you could try B Black and Sons or Richard James Weldon.post #43 of 7010/13/11 at 2:14pmQuote:
Appreciate it, I will check those out. I also enjoyed peaking through your blog. I have a fascination with suit crafting, there is so much too it when you start digging - unbelievable. I have lots to learn :).post #44 of 7010/19/11 at 12:46pmCan we talk about the bridal tape along the roll line? Is it really needed for soft constructed suits? On my heavier things you can feel where it is holding in the chest piece relative to the canvas, as in the canvas goes past the bridal tape and into the lapel. On my softer stuff it doesn't really seem to support the roll of the lapel and there is almost no difference in thickness between the chest and lapel.
So, why does it need to be there? Can the chest piece just be either padstitched, or zigzagged right to the canvas leaving the edge free?post #45 of 7010/19/11 at 1:36pmThread Starter
- Canvas and suit construction
- What I learned from my own wedding day, and how it can help you.
- › What music are you listening to lately? 1 minute ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 1 minute ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 1 minute ago
- › Show us how you roll in Engineered Garments 2 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 3 minutes ago
- › THE AMI Paris Alexendre Mattiussi THREAD 4 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 6 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 6 minutes ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 8 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...