or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › No wonder there are so many Ralph Lauren Polo fake shirts....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

No wonder there are so many Ralph Lauren Polo fake shirts.... - Page 4

post #46 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenobody0 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchapiro View Post

Good thing you don't work in a companies customer service.

Schweino has a good point that he tried to purchase a product online that was represented to be real and was not. Zippo, for example, would jump on fakes quickly and probably thank the customer who informed them. It is a matter of company policy and clearly junior RL staff haven't been instructed to care.

You can't criticize him for trying to do the right thing.


Doing the right thing isn't buying items you believe to be knock offs, then being happy with your purchase because it was cheap when you figure out that it really was fake.

You are twisting words.

Where have i stated that I believed it was a knock off before I bought it? I wrote I was suspicious about it because of the seller's location (Taiwan). When I enquired about the shirt the seller claimed it to be authentic and identified herself as a genuine RL sales manager. I also wrote that I am happy with the shirt's fit and quality, but do not like the fact it is a fake while being sold as an original.

I also did not write that I am happy with my purchase because it was cheap. As stated before: I am not happy with the overall purchase experience because I received a fake which was advertised as genuine, but I am happy with the shirt itself. By the way: if I see that genuine shirts like this can be bought for $20, my purchase wasn't cheap since I paid more than double that amount.

So: I am happy with the shirt itself because it fits well, but am unhappy about being scammed and having paid a fraudster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhood View Post

What the fuck else is he supposed to do?

Not buy from asia

Because?
post #47 of 61
lurker[1].gif
post #48 of 61

the clothing industry outsource their manufacturing line mostly in asia, so just because a garment is made there doesn't mean it's fake

post #49 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post

I would guess that since people who can't access the real thing get fakes, it spreads the brand more. Then when someone increases their income, they try to buy the real thing.
Free ads + free loyal customers

This, plus the fact that not everyone will notice a fake. I had a professor go over this last year in a marketing course. Take Wayfarers for instance. The style is easily recognizable, and people associate Wayfarers with Ray-Ban. When someone sees a pair of fake Wayfarers they usually don't notice that it's missing the Ray-Ban logo on the lens or frame. All they do is see another pair of Wayfarers and think, "Hey, I'd like to have a pair of those." The fakes do help to promote the real brand. It isn't worth it for Ray-Ban to crack down on fakes being sold all over when, like others have said in this thread, the people who are buying the fakes aren't the target customers and won't pay for the real thing.
post #50 of 61
If you want RL polo, go to Macy's, not ebay.
post #51 of 61
Thread Starter 
As I wrote before: I don't live in the USA and a RL Polo shirt is about $115 here
post #52 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweino View Post

As I wrote before: I don't live in the USA and a RL Polo shirt is about $115 here

Neither do I, RL pony logo polo shirts are about 50 yuan (RMB) here, think that's about $8 (USD), and one can usually haggle the price down even more.
post #53 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by tv2177 View Post

I think the fact that she's using a 163.com email indicates very much a possibility that she's a fraud who actually lives in China, but not Taiwan.

As a Taiwanese, I am pretty sure that 163.com emails are not even that popular in Taiwan. if that's a hotmail or gmail or yahoo.com.tw address it might be more likely.

But back to your topic. If you ever go to China, you'll be amazed by just how many fake stuff they have, it's beyond imagination.

Yeah, no Taiwanese would be caught dead with a mainland Chinese account/anything.
post #54 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eason View Post

Yeah, no Taiwanese would be caught dead with a mainland Chinese account/anything.

Similar in HK isn't it? No self respecting Hongkonger would be caught dead using anything like 163.com, QQ, Baidu, or anything ending in .cn?
post #55 of 61
Based on the Taiwanese I know, they're actually ambivalent about their less cultured cousins compared to HK'ers, who view mainlanders and the Chinese government with nothing short of contempt- a fact I derive immense pleasure from.
Edited by Eason - 10/21/11 at 6:53am
post #56 of 61

RL licenses their trademarks to other countries. those countries manufacture it themselves. if you want 1st quality polo go to an outlet store in the USA, you can get polo shirts for $12 on clearance.

post #57 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhood View Post

No, it is:
Confirm the fraud - check
Inform the victims - check

Neither of those has been done, has it?

With what information has the alleged fraud been confirmed as fraud?

Stating it is fraud for sure based on speculation may be misinforming people who are not actually victims, and defaming the seller.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostron View Post

Usually if deals sound too good to be true they probable are especially on the bay..

I disagree. I've learned from sf when I first joined that eBAY is one of the best places in the world to purchase high quality garments at cheap prices. I've found over the years that that advice has turned out to be accurate. A lot of deals on eBAY are much better than would ever be found anywhere else (except by exceptional circumstances); great deals on eBAY at prices that aren't found elsewhere doesn't necessarily mean that the merchandise is fake.

Someone who took the advice that you give would likely miss out on a lot of great deals on legitimate merchandise, and waste a lot of money paying retail-like prices for the same authenticity which he would have gotten from cheap goods on eBAY anyway.
post #58 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eason View Post

Based on the Taiwanese I know, they're actually ambivalent about their less cultured cousins compared to HK'ers, who view mainlanders and the Chinese government with nothing short of contempt- a fact I derive immense pleasure from.

Depends when they got to Taiwan. If they arrived earlier and stole the Island from the Natives, or later when Chiang Kai-shek was beaten by the communists and then stole the country from the people who originally stole it from the natives and executed a bunch of the people.

Also while a lot of manufactoring happens in Taiwan, many of the business owners have their factories in China because it's cheaper.
post #59 of 61

Just my 2 cents...

 

RL doesnt have RL factories with 100% RL tailors that get RL employee benefits...they sub-contract their designs to any country that has cheap labor. I'm sure the higher end RLs are made differently (better fabrics, tailors etc), but oxford shirts can be made anywhere. 

These factories within what they call an "economic zone" create these clothes, brand and package them but they absolutely cannot sell those products within their country (they need to export it to another country first before getting it imported back to them for retail (less then a $1 cost to make, and sold for exponentially more to the same people).

Anyway,,, it is common for getting mistakes on a whole batch...usually they are disposed of or recycle the fabric back for de-coloring and re-use...but more often the clothes with barely noticable mistakes are smuggled out of the factory to be re-sold by street vendors and the "sewers" get a cut, they do this because of the low wages. Most "fakes" are actually made by the same sub-contractor facility that makes the "real" ones, or the ones that passed the QC.

 

No business man is going into the fake clothing business when he is up against the whole damn factory of workers with access to the exact specific designs that have no issue selling their work outside of the company.

 

 

post #60 of 61

and sorry but LOL to the OP on contacting RL Cust to verify a sales person in taiwan...

 

Come on now...seriously you've never worked in a corporate setting before?

First...Customer Service agents have no access to this stuff (they are mainly there to take payments, upsell if they're good, and note down your complaints to be solved by a supervisor), even if you miraculously got a hold of an HR manager, she will need to get with HR in Taiwan and if she gets it, she will not divulge such information to you even if you're trying to report a fake. So it is actually too much work to verify one shirt, from one caller, asking about one seller, from a foreign country, which might actually be just an authorized retailer whom they have absolutely no control over....in the end after thinking for a few seconds, it's just an absolute waste of time. The innocence is quite amusing.

Good fakes are not made in a sweat shop you've see on TV, they're done inside their own sub-contractors factory. To an avg consumer, who probably never cared to know things that happen behind the scenes, you thought it you'd be helping RL and cursed them because they didn't acknowledge your report but in actuality they know this already but they are having a tough time finding out which of their thousands of workers behind a sewing machine is smuggling. They didn't ignore you but you were basically preaching to the choir.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › No wonder there are so many Ralph Lauren Polo fake shirts....