or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Pants have long rise - need to make them short. Possible?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pants have long rise - need to make them short. Possible?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

Hi all,

 

Since I am a short, stocky (read: fat) guy, most of the pants I buy have to be tailored. The length of the pants is tailored easily enough, but I've noticed that most of my pants feel too baggy around the crotch area. This is because the rise is too long and I need to make them short. Is it possible to get them tailored?

post #2 of 17
taking it up from the waist is spendy and difficult. a good alterations tailor can start by bringing in the crotch first for 10 to 20 dollars.
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 

is it necessary to take it up from the waist? perhaps the crotch should be enough?

post #4 of 17
Try to find shorter rise pants.
Even if they have to be altered to fit,
the job will be easier, the less fabric involved.
I've had this done numerous times, because I
require a maximum 10 1/2 in rise even though I
am not short or overweight. For me, it is usually
necessary to have the waistband lowered. If
you can find an MTM, or better yet, bespoke solution,
you'll be ahead of the game.
post #5 of 17
Thread Starter 

Yeah I'll make sure I find shorter rise pants from now on. But I have about 4 (good) pairs right now which I don't want to throw away. 

post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelPerfect3 View Post

Yeah I'll make sure I find shorter rise pants from now on. But I have about 4 (good) pairs right now which I don't want to throw away. 


how do you know if they are good if they are not Incotex?
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PL92106 View Post

taking it up from the waist is spendy and difficult. a good alterations tailor can start by bringing in the crotch first for 10 to 20 dollars.

exactly.

the pants have to be taken apart and recut. this is advanced surgery that only truly technically competent tailors will feel comfortable taking on. proceed with caution and expect to spend north of $100.
post #8 of 17
I have a similar problem. So now you know at least in future to carefully watch the rise. as for the pairs you have that you want to alter... I've done this before (usually while slimming down the legs) and it can be done, but there's a limit. Usually I take off about an inch MAX to the front, often about 0.5 off the front and 1 inch off the back. You just really have to watch out that the back doesn't start to pull 'up' unnaturally, which is exacerbated when the back of the thigh is quite baggy, and on the front, watch out for really long zippers/flys.
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the replies. I will talk to the local tailor here to see if she can do anything about - will probably cost a bit. Part of me just wants to say "screw it" and buy new pants.

post #10 of 17
My tailor is money but the best he can do is bring up the crotch 2 inches max (sometimes less) before it looks weird. I'd start by having your tailor work on one pair and bring the crotch in a from the front and back and see how it goes before having her do all of them - might work for you. Just had some oxxfords and brionis done. The brionis are wearable, but not perfect, but the oxxfords still look odd.
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post

how do you know if they are good if they are not Incotex?

I own Incotex. I still have to alter them. it has been necessary to
slim trousers even where the rise was short and fit well. Fortunately,
I have a great tailor.
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelPerfect3 View Post

Thanks for the replies. I will talk to the local tailor here to see if she can do anything about - will probably cost a bit. Part of me just wants to say "screw it" and buy new pants.

indeed. get new ones.
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by comrade View Post

I own Incotex. I still have to alter them. it has been necessary to
slim trousers even where the rise was short and fit well. Fortunately,
I have a great tailor.

who is your tailor?
post #14 of 17

maybe you can show your tailor a sample of one of your perfect fitting pants so they can use that as a pattern.

post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post

who is your tailor?

Dont you get a list of approved tailors when you buy a pair of Incotex? biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Pants have long rise - need to make them short. Possible?