If it has been in the family for a while, it's worth keeping for sentimental reasons. Whether you wear it is up to you. With lapels like that, you would need an extra wide tie to balance it out. You can have it altered if you have a good tailor, but if you want a contemporary look you're better off buying a new suit. I would think part of its value is the authentic look from the time period. Best of luck.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on 2/11/16 at 3:17pm in Classic Menswear
- What the hell is wrong with spanish tailors? (rant thread) Last post on 7/2/12 at 11:13pm in Classic Menswear
- Need advice on where to find a suit for SUPER skinny guy Last post on 9/22/11 at 8:25pm in Classic Menswear
- Suit Recommendations for Style Upgrade from Traditional HF, HSM, and BB Last post on 9/22/11 at 7:00am in Classic Menswear
Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
Last edited: 2/8/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200Last edited: 11/24/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Advice on hand-me-down suit. Can it be not a costume? - Page 3
Styleforum Top Pickspost #32 of 322/25/12 at 12:45am
Welcome to the forum, first off! This suit is obviously from around 1975. I wouldn't advise wearing this to a working environment or any kind of formal occassion, for the simple fact that the details, fabric and cut are all from that era and look out of place in current times. That being said, I have plenty of musician friends (mostly traveling busking musicians) who wear these suits with confidence and have made it part of their "look". In regards to what people have been saying about slimming lapels and pant legs, etc.; I think you would truly be wasting your money. No matter what you do to this suit it will always look like the era it came from because there's no changing the fabric. If this has significant personal meaning, then sure; keep it around, if not, I would advise buying a modern cut. You have to also understand that even when fashions come back, they come back anew with new innovations in fabrics and details that give it the modern aesthetic.
- Advice on hand-me-down suit. Can it be not a costume?
Styleforum Top Picks
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89
- › The Official Hair Thread 1 minute ago
- › Saint Laurent FW 13 Skinny Leather pants 3 minutes ago
- › Denims 13 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 14 minutes ago
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 28 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 31 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 33 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 34 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 36 minutes ago
- › WTB: Sage de Cret Patchwork Jacquard Coat 41 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What products do I use and how to I care for...
- › Exclusive Indochino Sale! 2 Suits for 800$...
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.