If it has been in the family for a while, it's worth keeping for sentimental reasons. Whether you wear it is up to you. With lapels like that, you would need an extra wide tie to balance it out. You can have it altered if you have a good tailor, but if you want a contemporary look you're better off buying a new suit. I would think part of its value is the authentic look from the time period. Best of luck.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 1:16 pm in Classic Menswear
- What the hell is wrong with spanish tailors? (rant thread) Last post on 7/2/12 at 11:13pm in Classic Menswear
- Need advice on where to find a suit for SUPER skinny guy Last post on 9/22/11 at 8:25pm in Classic Menswear
- Suit Recommendations for Style Upgrade from Traditional HF, HSM, and BB Last post on 9/22/11 at 7:00am in Classic Menswear
David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
Last edited: 7/26/15
- What I learned from my own wedding day, and how it can help you.Last edited: 7/9/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Advice on hand-me-down suit. Can it be not a costume? - Page 3
Styleforum Top Pickspost #32 of 322/25/12 at 12:45am
Welcome to the forum, first off! This suit is obviously from around 1975. I wouldn't advise wearing this to a working environment or any kind of formal occassion, for the simple fact that the details, fabric and cut are all from that era and look out of place in current times. That being said, I have plenty of musician friends (mostly traveling busking musicians) who wear these suits with confidence and have made it part of their "look". In regards to what people have been saying about slimming lapels and pant legs, etc.; I think you would truly be wasting your money. No matter what you do to this suit it will always look like the era it came from because there's no changing the fabric. If this has significant personal meaning, then sure; keep it around, if not, I would advise buying a modern cut. You have to also understand that even when fashions come back, they come back anew with new innovations in fabrics and details that give it the modern aesthetic.
- Advice on hand-me-down suit. Can it be not a costume?
- What I learned from my own wedding day, and how it can help you.
- › Carmina museum calf Chelsea boot GMTO 28 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 37 seconds ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 1 minute ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 1 minute ago
- › GATS (German army trainers) NEW / UNWORN / All Sizes / Wordwide... 1 minute ago
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE (JULY 31): FINE ART FRIDAY 4 minutes ago
- › New Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece White Sea Island Cotton Shirt... 8 minutes ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 12 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 13 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 15 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...