If it has been in the family for a while, it's worth keeping for sentimental reasons. Whether you wear it is up to you. With lapels like that, you would need an extra wide tie to balance it out. You can have it altered if you have a good tailor, but if you want a contemporary look you're better off buying a new suit. I would think part of its value is the authentic look from the time period. Best of luck.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 10:11 am in Classic Menswear
- What the hell is wrong with spanish tailors? (rant thread) Last post on 7/2/12 at 11:13pm in Classic Menswear
- Need advice on where to find a suit for SUPER skinny guy Last post on 9/22/11 at 8:25pm in Classic Menswear
- Suit Recommendations for Style Upgrade from Traditional HF, HSM, and BB Last post on 9/22/11 at 7:00am in Classic Menswear
Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...
Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Advice on hand-me-down suit. Can it be not a costume? - Page 3
Styleforum Top Pickspost #32 of 322/25/12 at 12:45am
Welcome to the forum, first off! This suit is obviously from around 1975. I wouldn't advise wearing this to a working environment or any kind of formal occassion, for the simple fact that the details, fabric and cut are all from that era and look out of place in current times. That being said, I have plenty of musician friends (mostly traveling busking musicians) who wear these suits with confidence and have made it part of their "look". In regards to what people have been saying about slimming lapels and pant legs, etc.; I think you would truly be wasting your money. No matter what you do to this suit it will always look like the era it came from because there's no changing the fabric. If this has significant personal meaning, then sure; keep it around, if not, I would advise buying a modern cut. You have to also understand that even when fashions come back, they come back anew with new innovations in fabrics and details that give it the modern aesthetic.
- Advice on hand-me-down suit. Can it be not a costume?
Styleforum Top Picks
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate It
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 11 seconds ago
- › Friday Challenge: Creative Business Casual 48 seconds ago
- › 125k pull-ups in 2015 2 minutes ago
- › What would you wear today? 6 minutes ago
- › Official Customs, Duties, and International Shipping Questions and... 8 minutes ago
- › Seattle real estate 10 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Porn Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 13 minutes ago
- › How many miles did you run today? 15 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 26 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...