If it has been in the family for a while, it's worth keeping for sentimental reasons. Whether you wear it is up to you. With lapels like that, you would need an extra wide tie to balance it out. You can have it altered if you have a good tailor, but if you want a contemporary look you're better off buying a new suit. I would think part of its value is the authentic look from the time period. Best of luck.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- What the hell is wrong with spanish tailors? (rant thread) Last post on 7/2/12 at 11:13pm in Classic Menswear
- Need advice on where to find a suit for SUPER skinny guy Last post on 9/22/11 at 8:25pm in Classic Menswear
- Suit Recommendations for Style Upgrade from Traditional HF, HSM, and BB Last post on 9/22/11 at 7:00am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my new custom jacket Last post on 11/12/12 at 5:59pm in Classic Menswear
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Advice on hand-me-down suit. Can it be not a costume? - Page 3
Styleforum Top Pickspost #32 of 322/25/12 at 12:45am
Welcome to the forum, first off! This suit is obviously from around 1975. I wouldn't advise wearing this to a working environment or any kind of formal occassion, for the simple fact that the details, fabric and cut are all from that era and look out of place in current times. That being said, I have plenty of musician friends (mostly traveling busking musicians) who wear these suits with confidence and have made it part of their "look". In regards to what people have been saying about slimming lapels and pant legs, etc.; I think you would truly be wasting your money. No matter what you do to this suit it will always look like the era it came from because there's no changing the fabric. If this has significant personal meaning, then sure; keep it around, if not, I would advise buying a modern cut. You have to also understand that even when fashions come back, they come back anew with new innovations in fabrics and details that give it the modern aesthetic.
- Advice on hand-me-down suit. Can it be not a costume?
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Things that are pissing you off. 45 seconds ago
- › things that are making you happy 1 minute ago
- › Reasons why New York Sucks 1 minute ago
- › Herschel Supply Co. Little America Backpack (Grey) 1 minute ago
- › Linjer Leather Goods -- official affiliate thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread 3 minutes ago
- › More Versatile Color Harris Tweed? 3 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes : Reviews, Sizing, Photos and More 4 minutes ago
- › The multi-pattern Good Taste Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Office Casual - The Death of the Neck Tie?
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...