Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 1:16 pm in Classic Menswear
- What the hell is wrong with spanish tailors? (rant thread) Last post on 7/2/12 at 11:13pm in Classic Menswear
- Need advice on where to find a suit for SUPER skinny guy Last post on 9/22/11 at 8:25pm in Classic Menswear
- Suit Recommendations for Style Upgrade from Traditional HF, HSM, and BB Last post on 9/22/11 at 7:00am in Classic Menswear
David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
Last edited: 7/26/15
- What I learned from my own wedding day, and how it can help you.Last edited: 7/9/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Advice on hand-me-down suit. Can it be not a costume? - Page 2post #16 of 3210/5/11 at 7:26pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #17 of 3210/5/11 at 7:29pmpost #18 of 3210/5/11 at 7:31pmpost #19 of 3210/5/11 at 7:33pmpost #20 of 3210/5/11 at 7:44pmpost #21 of 3210/6/11 at 5:02pmThread Starter
Hey all. Thanks for the responses. As you may have recognized from the post title, I came into this kinda negative. Didn't seem like this guy could make it onto the street without "Night Fever" playing in the background to justify it. Thanks to Klobber and cptjeff in re the lapel narrowing and possibly selling it forward. With Halloween this month I might try to incorporate it, but it might be better off in some collectors' hands or something. It's a weird one to stumble upon- flipped up the lapels basically come up to my ears.
Who knows? It's been about 20 years since the 70s were back in style. Maybe a resurgence is nigh. Meantime, I'm gonna bust out my men's belted sweater and mega point collarspost #22 of 3210/6/11 at 5:18pmpost #23 of 3210/6/11 at 7:30pmpost #24 of 3210/6/11 at 7:51pmI'm a fan of bigger lapels, but the jacket is beyond anything that I would deem wearable. As others have state though, a competent tailor might be able to slim them down to your liking. Also, I kinda like the large patch pockets.
The pants are an easy alteration though, and can be trimmed down to a slimmer straight leg without much difficulty. I don't see a reason that you couldn't keep the waistcoat as an odd vest for layering purposes.post #25 of 3210/6/11 at 8:57pmpost #26 of 3210/6/11 at 10:44pmEven though Tom Ford is channelling the old YSL catalogues
... it's still smaller. I think getting the lapels trimmed down a tad will work... should you want to keep it at all.
Won't lie, I have a YSL rive gauche suit by Stefano Pilati and it's almost like yours except the lapels are the size of the Tom Ford ones above and I had the flare legs tapered in. Now it's a decent garden party suit.post #27 of 3210/7/11 at 4:13ampost #28 of 3210/7/11 at 4:58ampost #29 of 3210/7/11 at 5:04amThe waistcoat you can salvage for casual wear.
The coat lapels are simply too wide to save. You'd need a talented tailor and several hundred dollars to make it work.
The trousers are probably salvageable, but ultimately you have to ask whether you like them as odd trousers.
The advice to flip them or keep them as "costume" is good, not much alternative i'm afraid.post #30 of 322/24/12 at 8:31pm
I'm no fashion guru, but I do love suits froms the 70's.
I think it's a matter of attitude.
I've wear a blue Gucci double brested suit to weddings and it has been a hit!
From your pictures I can tell that I would defenetly wear it, specially if among friends or to a night club, even to a date. And if you dont think you are going to feel confortable wearing it, I guess you might need to limit its use to "fun" ocations.
You are young and you can put on whatever you want, just do it with style; when I have done so, I have enjoyed the fun and the luck of daring to be different ( if you get what I mean).
But, if you are still not willing to go out in the suit... well, I will always have room for it in my closet and I good ocation to wear it! (promise will send pics)
- Advice on hand-me-down suit. Can it be not a costume?
Styleforum Top Picks
- What I learned from my own wedding day, and how it can help you.
- › Things that are pissing you off. 3 seconds ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 38 seconds ago
- › All Things Hippity and Hoppity 1 minute ago
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 6 minutes ago
- › Wolf vs. Goat Official Affiliate Thread - New April 16, 2015 6 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 6 minutes ago
- › Ambrosi Napoli 7 minutes ago
- › The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Alden Color 8 Burgundy Shell Cordovan Shortwing Balmoral Brooks... 8 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...