Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Yesterday at 7:43 pm in Classic Menswear
- What the hell is wrong with spanish tailors? (rant thread) Last post on 7/2/12 at 11:13pm in Classic Menswear
- Need advice on where to find a suit for SUPER skinny guy Last post on 9/22/11 at 8:25pm in Classic Menswear
- Suit Recommendations for Style Upgrade from Traditional HF, HSM, and BB Last post on 9/22/11 at 7:00am in Classic Menswear
Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
Last edited: 8/10/15
- The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s Moral and Sartorial...Last edited: 8/10/15
- David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88Last edited: 7/26/15
- What I learned from my own wedding day, and how it can help you.Last edited: 7/9/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Advice on hand-me-down suit. Can it be not a costume? - Page 2post #16 of 3210/5/11 at 7:26pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #17 of 3210/5/11 at 7:29pmpost #18 of 3210/5/11 at 7:31pmpost #19 of 3210/5/11 at 7:33pmpost #20 of 3210/5/11 at 7:44pmpost #21 of 3210/6/11 at 5:02pmThread Starter
Hey all. Thanks for the responses. As you may have recognized from the post title, I came into this kinda negative. Didn't seem like this guy could make it onto the street without "Night Fever" playing in the background to justify it. Thanks to Klobber and cptjeff in re the lapel narrowing and possibly selling it forward. With Halloween this month I might try to incorporate it, but it might be better off in some collectors' hands or something. It's a weird one to stumble upon- flipped up the lapels basically come up to my ears.
Who knows? It's been about 20 years since the 70s were back in style. Maybe a resurgence is nigh. Meantime, I'm gonna bust out my men's belted sweater and mega point collarspost #22 of 3210/6/11 at 5:18pmpost #23 of 3210/6/11 at 7:30pmpost #24 of 3210/6/11 at 7:51pmI'm a fan of bigger lapels, but the jacket is beyond anything that I would deem wearable. As others have state though, a competent tailor might be able to slim them down to your liking. Also, I kinda like the large patch pockets.
The pants are an easy alteration though, and can be trimmed down to a slimmer straight leg without much difficulty. I don't see a reason that you couldn't keep the waistcoat as an odd vest for layering purposes.post #25 of 3210/6/11 at 8:57pmpost #26 of 3210/6/11 at 10:44pmEven though Tom Ford is channelling the old YSL catalogues
... it's still smaller. I think getting the lapels trimmed down a tad will work... should you want to keep it at all.
Won't lie, I have a YSL rive gauche suit by Stefano Pilati and it's almost like yours except the lapels are the size of the Tom Ford ones above and I had the flare legs tapered in. Now it's a decent garden party suit.post #27 of 3210/7/11 at 4:13ampost #28 of 3210/7/11 at 4:58ampost #29 of 3210/7/11 at 5:04amThe waistcoat you can salvage for casual wear.
The coat lapels are simply too wide to save. You'd need a talented tailor and several hundred dollars to make it work.
The trousers are probably salvageable, but ultimately you have to ask whether you like them as odd trousers.
The advice to flip them or keep them as "costume" is good, not much alternative i'm afraid.post #30 of 322/24/12 at 8:31pm
I'm no fashion guru, but I do love suits froms the 70's.
I think it's a matter of attitude.
I've wear a blue Gucci double brested suit to weddings and it has been a hit!
From your pictures I can tell that I would defenetly wear it, specially if among friends or to a night club, even to a date. And if you dont think you are going to feel confortable wearing it, I guess you might need to limit its use to "fun" ocations.
You are young and you can put on whatever you want, just do it with style; when I have done so, I have enjoyed the fun and the luck of daring to be different ( if you get what I mean).
But, if you are still not willing to go out in the suit... well, I will always have room for it in my closet and I good ocation to wear it! (promise will send pics)
- Advice on hand-me-down suit. Can it be not a costume?
Styleforum Top Picks
- The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s Moral and Sartorial...
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 3 minutes ago
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 3 minutes ago
- › TOJ - updates on the debacle, complaints, news about other... 4 minutes ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 5 minutes ago
- › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II 6 minutes ago
- › Australian Members 8 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 16 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 16 minutes ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 19 minutes ago
- › The Official Carmina Sizing Thread 21 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015