Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 6:57 am in Classic Menswear
- What the hell is wrong with spanish tailors? (rant thread) Last post on 7/2/12 at 11:13pm in Classic Menswear
- Need advice on where to find a suit for SUPER skinny guy Last post on 9/22/11 at 8:25pm in Classic Menswear
- Suit Recommendations for Style Upgrade from Traditional HF, HSM, and BB Last post on 9/22/11 at 7:00am in Classic Menswear
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Advice on hand-me-down suit. Can it be not a costume? - Page 2post #16 of 3210/5/11 at 7:26pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #17 of 3210/5/11 at 7:29pmpost #18 of 3210/5/11 at 7:31pmpost #19 of 3210/5/11 at 7:33pmpost #20 of 3210/5/11 at 7:44pmpost #21 of 3210/6/11 at 5:02pmThread Starter
Hey all. Thanks for the responses. As you may have recognized from the post title, I came into this kinda negative. Didn't seem like this guy could make it onto the street without "Night Fever" playing in the background to justify it. Thanks to Klobber and cptjeff in re the lapel narrowing and possibly selling it forward. With Halloween this month I might try to incorporate it, but it might be better off in some collectors' hands or something. It's a weird one to stumble upon- flipped up the lapels basically come up to my ears.
Who knows? It's been about 20 years since the 70s were back in style. Maybe a resurgence is nigh. Meantime, I'm gonna bust out my men's belted sweater and mega point collarspost #22 of 3210/6/11 at 5:18pmpost #23 of 3210/6/11 at 7:30pmpost #24 of 3210/6/11 at 7:51pmI'm a fan of bigger lapels, but the jacket is beyond anything that I would deem wearable. As others have state though, a competent tailor might be able to slim them down to your liking. Also, I kinda like the large patch pockets.
The pants are an easy alteration though, and can be trimmed down to a slimmer straight leg without much difficulty. I don't see a reason that you couldn't keep the waistcoat as an odd vest for layering purposes.post #25 of 3210/6/11 at 8:57pmpost #26 of 3210/6/11 at 10:44pmEven though Tom Ford is channelling the old YSL catalogues
... it's still smaller. I think getting the lapels trimmed down a tad will work... should you want to keep it at all.
Won't lie, I have a YSL rive gauche suit by Stefano Pilati and it's almost like yours except the lapels are the size of the Tom Ford ones above and I had the flare legs tapered in. Now it's a decent garden party suit.post #27 of 3210/7/11 at 4:13ampost #28 of 3210/7/11 at 4:58ampost #29 of 3210/7/11 at 5:04amThe waistcoat you can salvage for casual wear.
The coat lapels are simply too wide to save. You'd need a talented tailor and several hundred dollars to make it work.
The trousers are probably salvageable, but ultimately you have to ask whether you like them as odd trousers.
The advice to flip them or keep them as "costume" is good, not much alternative i'm afraid.post #30 of 322/24/12 at 8:31pm
I'm no fashion guru, but I do love suits froms the 70's.
I think it's a matter of attitude.
I've wear a blue Gucci double brested suit to weddings and it has been a hit!
From your pictures I can tell that I would defenetly wear it, specially if among friends or to a night club, even to a date. And if you dont think you are going to feel confortable wearing it, I guess you might need to limit its use to "fun" ocations.
You are young and you can put on whatever you want, just do it with style; when I have done so, I have enjoyed the fun and the luck of daring to be different ( if you get what I mean).
But, if you are still not willing to go out in the suit... well, I will always have room for it in my closet and I good ocation to wear it! (promise will send pics)
- Advice on hand-me-down suit. Can it be not a costume?
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 16 seconds ago
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD ***700usd Min*** 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 2 minutes ago
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 2 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 3 minutes ago
- › Riccardo Bestetti Bespoke projects. 4 minutes ago
- › Epaulet Wyatt Motorcycle Jacket Brown Horween Horsehide Medium 5 minutes ago
- › The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! 5 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The ten least expensive cars to insure in the US
- › The Styleforum Brief: March 2015
- › Going Places: A Brief Trip to Naples
- › One Sneaker to Rule Them All: The Rise of the...
- › People Who Make Our Lives Better: Jack...
- › CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best...
- › Fok's Pick: Quilted Vests
- › A Suit Well-Traveled: Clark Gable’s...
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...