Do you guys think a wool coat will be warm enough to survive Canadian winters? (I don't like bombers or parkas) Thanks.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Could someone please help me with what I have here? Last post on 8/24/12 at 12:42pm in Classic Menswear
- Isaia Napoli Jacket Question (With Pictures) Last post on 1/14/13 at 7:39pm in Classic Menswear
- Can't find a shirt and a jacket my size Last post on 6/13/12 at 3:01pm in Classic Menswear
- Can you dentify this red bomber jacket? Last post on 6/8/12 at 9:45am in Streetwear and Denim
- Cord Trucker Jacket Last post on 6/11/12 at 8:03am in Streetwear and Denim
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Winter Coat Thread FW11 - Page 7
Styleforum Top Picks
Yeah,the coat seems really good, I just don' know if I want to drop that much for a coat though, still thinking about it! Thanks.
Yeah, well in Monteal, the average is probably a bit higher than TO, but I still want to make sure the coat can handle harsh conditions like those.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look it up!
I actually had a Peacoat for the whole winter, last year. I survived it, but I think a bomber/parka is a better option. You can buy a wool coat though, just make sure to layer a lot.
A wool coat is warm but you want a Canada Goose parka or an N3B parka - with them, you can survive subzero Canadian winters in comfort.
Can you really compare a $200 polyester-filled Alpha N-3B Parka to a $600 100% goose down-filled Canada Goose parka??? I don't think that Alpha N-3B Parka can withstand -15C weather, but the CG can definitely do -30C...
It depends on the model, I've had 2 (chiliwack and Constable) and neither of them was warm enough for -16C (-25 with wind chill), I had to wear thermal underwear and heavy knits underneath.
That's strange, everyone in Canada swears by the CG...
But just comparing specs, I don't know how or why the Alpha N-3B Parka can even be recommended. I myself want one because I like the look of it, but what if it doesn't keep me warm???
I'm not a big fan of any fur on men's winter coats, but I do like some of the parkas. The greatest look for a man in winter is a wool pea coat like these http://www.pronto.com/shop/mens-pea-coat. They look great on most guys and are very stylish!
Yeah but they don't keep you warm.
I think you have to buy a Expedition for it be warm enough for -30c, but it all depends on how much time you spend outside and the type of cold.
I'm not skittish as I have worked outside 8 hours a day in all types of weather, but I was fairly underwhelmed with my Constable.
I didn't feel like it was warm enough and I wore it around +-0C where it went from snow to rain which resulted in my clothes underneath getting soaked, it happened again after I had it waterproofed as the Scandinavian agent recommended, so I sold it.
I have a bunch of mates who all have owned several CG coats and all of them have sold them again and gone back to Arc'teryx etc.
I agree that the CG parka and chiliwack are much warmer than most wool coats, but I find it hard to justify paying 600+ for a puffy looking jacket. I wanted to buy a Wool Trench Coat from Burberry, but too bad the boutique never has what the online web has... Any recommendations for a wool trench?
- Winter Coat Thread FW11
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Saint Laurent Paris Anthracite wool coat size 52 NWT 12 seconds ago
- › St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread 49 seconds ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › ***The Official San Francisco/Bay Area Thread*** 4 minutes ago
- › Riccardo Bestetti Bespoke projects. 5 minutes ago
- › Bourbon. 6 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 9 minutes ago
- › Shoemaking Techniques and Traditions--"...these foolish things..." 10 minutes ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 11 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015