Do you guys think a wool coat will be warm enough to survive Canadian winters? (I don't like bombers or parkas) Thanks.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0, Paul Harnden, Taichi Murakami,... Last post on 2/10/16 at 5:52pm in Streetwear and Denim
- Could someone please help me with what I have here? Last post on 8/24/12 at 12:42pm in Classic Menswear
- Isaia Napoli Jacket Question (With Pictures) Last post on 1/14/13 at 7:39pm in Classic Menswear
- Can't find a shirt and a jacket my size Last post on 6/13/12 at 3:01pm in Classic Menswear
- Can you dentify this red bomber jacket? Last post on 6/8/12 at 9:45am in Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016
Last edited: 1/29/16
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: OuterwearLast edited: 11/11/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- The Buyer's Guide to Fall JacketsLast edited: 9/7/15
- Why Flight Jackets Make the Best Autumn OuterwearLast edited: 9/8/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Winter Coat Thread FW11 - Page 7
Styleforum Top Pickspost #92 of 21711/13/11 at 8:52amQuote:Originally Posted by Gavin
Yeah,the coat seems really good, I just don' know if I want to drop that much for a coat though, still thinking about it! Thanks.
Yeah, well in Monteal, the average is probably a bit higher than TO, but I still want to make sure the coat can handle harsh conditions like those.Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look it up!post #93 of 21711/13/11 at 8:58amQuote:
I actually had a Peacoat for the whole winter, last year. I survived it, but I think a bomber/parka is a better option. You can buy a wool coat though, just make sure to layer a lot.post #94 of 21711/13/11 at 11:01pmQuote:
A wool coat is warm but you want a Canada Goose parka or an N3B parka - with them, you can survive subzero Canadian winters in comfort.post #95 of 21711/14/11 at 8:08amQuote:
Can you really compare a $200 polyester-filled Alpha N-3B Parka to a $600 100% goose down-filled Canada Goose parka??? I don't think that Alpha N-3B Parka can withstand -15C weather, but the CG can definitely do -30C...post #96 of 21711/14/11 at 8:59amQuote:
It depends on the model, I've had 2 (chiliwack and Constable) and neither of them was warm enough for -16C (-25 with wind chill), I had to wear thermal underwear and heavy knits underneath.post #97 of 21711/14/11 at 12:37pmQuote:
That's strange, everyone in Canada swears by the CG...
But just comparing specs, I don't know how or why the Alpha N-3B Parka can even be recommended. I myself want one because I like the look of it, but what if it doesn't keep me warm???post #98 of 21711/14/11 at 12:52pmpost #99 of 21711/14/11 at 12:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by arodriguez
I'm not a big fan of any fur on men's winter coats, but I do like some of the parkas. The greatest look for a man in winter is a wool pea coat like these http://www.pronto.com/shop/mens-pea-coat. They look great on most guys and are very stylish!
Yeah but they don't keep you warm.post #100 of 21711/14/11 at 2:22pmpost #101 of 21711/14/11 at 2:24pmpost #102 of 21711/14/11 at 2:33pmpost #103 of 21711/14/11 at 3:05pmQuote:
I think you have to buy a Expedition for it be warm enough for -30c, but it all depends on how much time you spend outside and the type of cold.
I'm not skittish as I have worked outside 8 hours a day in all types of weather, but I was fairly underwhelmed with my Constable.
I didn't feel like it was warm enough and I wore it around +-0C where it went from snow to rain which resulted in my clothes underneath getting soaked, it happened again after I had it waterproofed as the Scandinavian agent recommended, so I sold it.
I have a bunch of mates who all have owned several CG coats and all of them have sold them again and gone back to Arc'teryx etc.post #104 of 21711/14/11 at 4:22pmQuote:
I agree that the CG parka and chiliwack are much warmer than most wool coats, but I find it hard to justify paying 600+ for a puffy looking jacket. I wanted to buy a Wool Trench Coat from Burberry, but too bad the boutique never has what the online web has... Any recommendations for a wool trench?
- Winter Coat Thread FW11
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Outerwear
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 7 seconds ago
- › Official: Superhero, Comic Book, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror, etc...... 2 minutes ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 3 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 3 minutes ago
- › Neckties: A Discussion Thread 5 minutes ago
- › NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF FEB... 6 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 9 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 9 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 9 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 11 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Can I get the toe of my leather shoes...
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?