or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shawl Collar Sport Coat????
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shawl Collar Sport Coat????

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
I just came across this shawl collar sport coat on ebay....I thought it looked interesting but I'm not sure if it's intesting in a good way.

Opinions??


621
post #2 of 18
It looks odd, like it's trying to be a tux, but obviously isn't a tux. 
post #3 of 18

the short bald guy in Masterchef Australia always wore one.. i think he looked pretty good

post #4 of 18
I bet it would look good if worn more casually-say paired with turtleneck sweater or mock turtle, a v- neck sweater and t shirt or just a t shirt.
If it's cheap I would buy it and experiment-if you don't like it, just put it back on the bay and get some of your money back
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post

I just came across this shawl collar sport coat on ebay....I thought it looked interesting but I'm not sure if it's intesting in a good way.
Opinions??
621



Do you know how old that is? Personally I like shawl lapels and regular labels but don't like peaked. I just think that it should be a bit wider but I'm not sure if a shawl is good on that jacket. I do have a number of items with shawl collars, some RTW  or made for me. I have a sheepskin coat with a shawl collar, a heavier cardigan sweater with one and a velvet jacket and like the look but I think it's a bit too narrow on the jacket.

 

post #6 of 18
The look dates to mid-1800s. I picked up a 1950s/1960s NWT tan linen single button with the same design some time back. As stated above, it makes a good casual jacket.
post #7 of 18
Probably be useful for late afternoon/evening social events. Hard to think of daytime events it'd be good for though, unless you like to stand out with an unusual cut. Is it marine blue? Would probably look good with cream trousers and a four-in-hand on a warm-weather evening.
post #8 of 18
Unusual, but not too much so.

There have been a few others lately in RTW.

Hollander & Lexer, in Brooklyn:

467

Macy's Bar III and J Crew have also done similar things recently.
post #9 of 18
Leave it there and then the vendor might put it out of its misery.
post #10 of 18
Their popularity peaked in the late '50s - early '60s, but they seem to come around every few years. I've noticed Pat Sajack rocking the shawl collar a couple of times lately smile.gif

I have an Obedient Sons jacket from around '08 that has a skinny shawl lapel, but it's true SW.
post #11 of 18

 I saw a nice one this weekend. It was almost like Bogart's Casablanca jacket but it was single breasted. If it would've fit me I would've bought it and wore it around.

 

 Thought's and has anyone seen one of these around?

post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by FillW View Post

 I saw a nice one this weekend. It was almost like Bogart's Casablanca jacket but it was single breasted. If it would've fit me I would've bought it and wore it around.

 Thought's and has anyone seen one of these around?

Are you talking about a simple single breasted white dinner jacket (well, probably cream or ivory)? If so, they're great for black tie in a tropical climate. They can also work for summer black tie events in more temperate climates, though this is slightly more controversial.

Otherwise, not really sure what you'd do with it. I have a cream off-white linen peak lapel sport coat I wear during summers but couldn't quite picture the equivalent with a shawl collar outside of a black tie event.
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post


Are you talking about a simple single breasted white dinner jacket (well, probably cream or ivory)? If so, they're great for black tie in a tropical climate. They can also work for summer black tie events in more temperate climates, though this is slightly more controversial.

Otherwise, not really sure what you'd do with it. I have a cream off-white linen peak lapel sport coat I wear during summers but couldn't quite picture the equivalent with a shawl collar outside of a black tie event.

 

 Pretty much.

 

 I'd wear it out to a sporting event or a club just for the heck of it.

 

 I think it'd be pretty out of the ordinary without being gaudy etc.

 

 I'd wear it with a black bow tie like Tibor wears his stuff.

post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by FillW View Post

 Pretty much.

 I'd wear it out to a sporting event or a club just for the heck of it.

 I think it'd be pretty out of the ordinary without being gaudy etc.

 I'd wear it with a black bow tie like Tibor wears his stuff.

If you keep this to evenings in either summer and tropical climates only, you're good. And for goodness sakes, make sure your jacket is off-white (e.g. cream or ivory) and not pure white. It is slightly less formal than a tuxedo (should be worn with black or midnight blue black tie trousers) but just keep in mind that it is still a black tie ensemble. Personally I like the look a lot but you've got to have some self-confidence to pull it off and not mind potentially being the only guy in a white dinner jacket at an event.

These are definitely harder to find than tuxedos off the rack. Brooks Brothers makes one, though it is in their Madison cut which is a bit full (not sure if that would bother you). You can get it taken in at the waist but you still have slightly lower armholes than you'd see on a Regent model. Not sure where else you'd find one off the rack, but getting something made by a tailor is always an option. It may be a perfect project for a Hong Kong travelling tailor.
post #15 of 18

 I should just buy the one I saw and post pics of it. I was very impressed by it even though it was hanging in a thrift store (it's probably long gone though). I'm sure I could easily get my money back by selling it. Maybe someone could find one that fit me too.

 

 PS: Yeah, it's off-white and it would go good with some dark blue pants I have.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shawl Collar Sport Coat????