or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Recipe Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Recipe Thread - Page 21

post #301 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJT View Post

Not to set mm up for a rant that I believe got him banned before, but I knew a number of girls in college who were proud of the fact that they were unable to cook anything. Like not even a grilled cheese. A sort of feeble women's empowerment thing, breaking the shackles that kept their gender in the kitchen. 4 years of dining hall food and dominos pizza was not good for their figures...

I have opinions on this, but I think I'll refrain from expressing them.
post #302 of 456
Thread Starter 
I'm glad my question led to a rather philosophical post.

However, it was more meant to get some suggestions of what to put in the braising liquid in terms of flavours...
post #303 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

I'm glad my question led to a rather philosophical post.
However, it was more meant to get some suggestions of what to put in the braising liquid in terms of flavours...

Let the spirit guide you.
post #304 of 456
P, the way I braise, I basically think, Do I want this to taste Italian or French? If wop, then all red wine, no stock, plus chopped tomatoes and Italian herbs. I get muir glen canned toms out of season, they are quite good, I think the ones that come diced are cut too large so I prefer the whole ones and concasse them myself.

if frog, then the wine is only to deglaze, stock does the rest and the herbs are different.

I would use mirepoix either way and also tomato paste at your discretion.

The way i finish the liquid differs. For frog, a gentle pass through the chinios, as clean as possible, for wop, I will put it back on the stove and sort of mash it up on the heat to break down the solids, the result ends up being thicker and more rustic.
post #305 of 456
oxtail is such a peasant cut that i would do it the italian way, plus it's an old family thing for me. I don't think I have done oxtail the frog way, though there is no reason why you could not. I am more likely to do that with short ribs, a lamb shank, etc.
post #306 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

oxtail is such a peasant cut

LOL. Not anymore.
post #307 of 456
well my father's side of the family were peasants and they ate oxtail all the time.
post #308 of 456
Manton, when, and if, you make beef stock, what do you use it for in place of veal?
post #309 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

well my father's side of the family were peasants and they ate oxtail all the time.

I don't doubt it. I've just never seen it below $7.99/lb, and have seen it for as much as $12.99/lb. That's almost insulting considering the yield (or lack thereof) you get from it.
post #310 of 456
I think it is cute when they wrap it up in a nice piece of butcher paper like a flower.
post #311 of 456
I either make beef or veal stock, depending on what I want and what bones I can get. Veal bones are harder for me to get but if I must have them I can find them. Beef bones now sell for $2/lb. around here which is fucking insulting but I pay it.
post #312 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

I either make beef or veal stock, depending on what I want and what bones I can get. Veal bones are harder for me to get but if I must have them I can find them. Beef bones now sell for $2/lb. around here which is fucking insulting but I pay it.

I think the best deal on veal bones is usually to buy veal breast at fairway, where it's usually around $2.50/lb, and then trim them yourself. What's funny is that they sell meatless bones for like $1.99.
post #313 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

I either make beef or veal stock, depending on what I want and what bones I can get. Veal bones are harder for me to get but if I must have them I can find them. Beef bones now sell for $2/lb. around here which is fucking insulting but I pay it.

Is there anything specifically you'd only want to use beef for?

I was paying like $4/lb for veal. Luckily, I have found a source for free bones.
post #314 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEK View Post

I think the best deal on veal bones is usually to buy veal breast at fairway, where it's usually around $2.50/lb, and then trim them yourself. What's funny is that they sell meatless bones for like $1.99.

Have you ever just made a stock keeping the meat on the bones? I did that with 10 pounds of chicken wings and it came out great.
post #315 of 456
Certainly for soups, beef is way better. Tortellini in brodo in veal stock is lame, for instance. For meat braises it's hard to tell. I prefer veal for sauces.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Recipe Thread