or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Recipe Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Recipe Thread - Page 3

post #31 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Thanks. All lighting of in my pics are purely happenstance.
Matt, can you adapt that to not grinding the lentils? While that sounds great, and I love hummus, I prefer to have some pita or oven bread and those is nasty carbs.

You mean could you make a lentil salad with those seasonings? I don't see why not. You could even puree half, or a third, and use that as the dressing for the rest. Or you could eat your hummus with carrot sticks.
post #32 of 456
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post

You mean could you make a lentil salad with those seasonings? I don't see why not. You could even puree half, or a third, and use that as the dressing for the rest. Or you could eat your hummus with carrot sticks.

Yes, that's what I meant. Mrs. Piob recently made a lentil salad and it was exceedingly good. The carbs from legumes, as long as the portions are modest, are not ones that impact my dietary regime. Finding ways to use legumes in easy recipes is something I'm trying to do.
post #33 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post

... in your food processor, or if you have a really good blender like a Vitamix, use that. .

I have neither frown.gif
post #34 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Yes, that's what I meant. Mrs. Piob recently made a lentil salad and it was exceedingly good. The carbs from legumes, as long as the portions are modest, are not ones that impact my dietary regime. Finding ways to use legumes in easy recipes is something I'm trying to do.

Expand your vegetable horizons a bit as well. And most things really aren't hard to make. Some things are hard to make pretty, but that isn't really a problem, and some things can be quite hard to shop fo, which is a problem, but be willing to try new veggies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post

I have neither frown.gif

Sorry to hear that.
post #35 of 456
I had a food processor but I never used it so I gave it to my neighbor. Space is a premium in my small kitchen.
post #36 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

Hey, Marbear, where's our chicken leg with chickpeas recipe?

+1
post #37 of 456
+1.
post #38 of 456
o crap. sorry guise. will post later. promish.
post #39 of 456
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post

I have neither frown.gif

That's a crime. You should occupy Williams-Sonoma. wink.gif
post #40 of 456

Came across this infographic - seems the best thread for it.

 

Taste Buds - A Visualization to Help You Know the Complementary Flavours to Use When Cooking 

 

lefty

post #41 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

Came across this infographic - seems the best thread for it.

 

Taste Buds - A Visualization to Help You Know the Complementary Flavours to Use When Cooking 

 

lefty


That is a really neat chart. I just question the sample size its based off. 1000 recipes does not strike me as that many.
post #42 of 456
Heat 3T Olive Oil in dutch oven until hot but not smoking, pat 8 chicken drumsticks dry and season well with S&P. Brown chicken in batches until golden all around, and remove chicken. Stir in 1 large chopped onion, 3T of chopped fresh cilantro, 3t of minced garlic, 1t coriander, 1t of ras el hanout and cook until onion is softened, about 5 or 6 minutes (add a little chicken stock if needed to prevent sticking). Add 2 cups of chicken stock and return chicken to dutch oven. Cook at a bare simmer, covered for 30 minutes, removing cover to stir occasionally. Add 1 1/2 cups of cooked chickpeas, 1/2 cup of golden raisins, 1/2 -1t of harissa, zest of one small orange, and cook uncovered for 5 more minutes. serve over couscous and sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro.
post #43 of 456
General Question: when measuring chopped herbs do you pack them into the measuring spoon or is a lighter touch required?
post #44 of 456
What are you making? I would just season to taste. But if the recipe specifically calls for a cup of "packed" herbs, then I would press them gently into the measuring cup. Otherwise, I would just make a rough measurement. Unless you're measuring flour for a cake, it really doesn't have to be exact.
post #45 of 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm9128 View Post

What are you making? I would just season to taste. But if the recipe specifically calls for a cup of "packed" herbs, then I would press them gently into the measuring cup. Otherwise, I would just make a rough measurement. Unless you're measuring flour for a cake, it really doesn't have to be exact.

I was just referencing MarBear's recipe above and the actual technique of measuring chopped herbs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Recipe Thread