Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryBootstagged by LA Guy, 7/20/14
- topicCrockett Jonestagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- brandCrockett Jones Brandtagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicEdward Greentagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by LA Guy, 7/20/14
- topicShell Cordovantagged by LA Guy, 7/20/14
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by LA Guy, 7/20/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by LA Guy, 7/20/14
- brandTrickerstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14More
- topicVasstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
Related Forum Threads
- Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II Last post on 2/2/16 at 7:07am in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:59 am in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford Last post on 2/4/16 at 4:10pm in Classic Menswear
- Pediwear Shoes - Official Thread Last post on 1/25/16 at 4:17am in Classic Menswear
The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden Footwear
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Primer: Refinishing a pair of Crockett & Jones shoes using...Last edited: 2/1/16
- Allen Edmond Park Avenue sizingLast edited: 1/27/16
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- Primer: Things you should have known about shoes and shoe care but...Last edited: 2/1/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread - Page 44
Styleforum Top Pickspost #647 of 21843/3/14 at 4:45amQuote:
Guarded Goods (http://www.guardedgoods.com/) shows pics.
I have handled horween, clayton, and comipel shell. Not japanese/south american though.
First off, horween is more than twice the price of the others, at 180 quid a shell vs 72 for clayton, and 90 or so for comipel. Horween shell is thick, with a kinda oily, glossy finish. It was pretty soft and flexible, but not overly so. One thing I noticed is that there were lot's of marks and scratches on the shell. This might have been because I ordered a dark colour (no 8), but I was expecting a smoother finish.
Comipel shell was slightly thinner than horween, but the finish was absolutely perfect. Like, there was literally not a single mark on any of the shells. It feels really waxy, and firm, and has a more matte colour than horween.
My personal favourite though, was clayton. It is very thin, making it super easy to stitch, though kinda inappropriate for footwear (they offer heavier grades, though I have no experience with those.). It has very little shine, but the surface is really smooth and buttery. I saw a few blemishes, but nothing serious. The depth of colour is fantastic, and there's some really heavy striations in the dye.
Really, I guess my reasoning boils down to price and surface finish. Horween shell is nice (I mean, even crappy shell is a beautiful leather), but it's not that nice. I feel the major price increase is totally unsubstantiated. Also, it seems that due to increased demand, horween is loosening their qc. If comipel and clayton can make sure their shell meets certain standards, horween should too.post #648 of 21843/3/14 at 4:52amQuote:
Thanks. This is very helpful. Some of the latest horween batches do indeed look awful as compared to the ones I had ordered many years ago...I really do think that horween needs a new competitionpost #649 of 21843/10/14 at 12:19pmpost #650 of 21843/10/14 at 1:22pmpost #651 of 21843/10/14 at 1:48pmpost #652 of 21843/10/14 at 2:15pmpost #653 of 21843/10/14 at 5:44pmpost #654 of 21843/10/14 at 11:08pmpost #655 of 21843/11/14 at 4:57pmpost #656 of 21843/11/14 at 7:09pmpost #657 of 21843/18/14 at 6:25ampost #658 of 21843/18/14 at 8:03ampost #659 of 21843/18/14 at 8:05am
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread
- Primer: Refinishing a pair of Crockett & Jones shoes using...
Currently, there are 1591 Active Users (373 Members and 1218 Guests)
- › The Vintage Shell Longwing Appreciation Thread: Florsheim, Hanover,... 34 seconds ago
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 45 seconds ago
- › Things your dumb friends post on facebook 46 seconds ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 1 minute ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 1 minute ago
- › Nigel Cabourn 2 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 2 minutes ago
- › Finding affordable menswear? (chicago) 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 3 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 4 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...