Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryBootstagged by LA Guy, 7/20/14
- topicCrockett Jonestagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- brandCrockett Jones Brandtagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicEdward Greentagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by LA Guy, 7/20/14
- topicShell Cordovantagged by LA Guy, 7/20/14
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by LA Guy, 7/20/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by LA Guy, 7/20/14
- brandTrickerstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14More
- topicVasstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
Related Forum Threads
- Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II Last post on Today at 7:54 am in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 7:44 am in Classic Menswear
- The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford Last post on Today at 7:12 am in Classic Menswear
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E Last post on 7/27/15 at 9:43pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Remaining shoes are $250 each-Shoe thread-Vass, AS and Meermin Last post on 9/25/14 at 4:54am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread - Page 44
Styleforum Top Pickspost #647 of 14623/3/14 at 4:45amQuote:
Guarded Goods (http://www.guardedgoods.com/) shows pics.
I have handled horween, clayton, and comipel shell. Not japanese/south american though.
First off, horween is more than twice the price of the others, at 180 quid a shell vs 72 for clayton, and 90 or so for comipel. Horween shell is thick, with a kinda oily, glossy finish. It was pretty soft and flexible, but not overly so. One thing I noticed is that there were lot's of marks and scratches on the shell. This might have been because I ordered a dark colour (no 8), but I was expecting a smoother finish.
Comipel shell was slightly thinner than horween, but the finish was absolutely perfect. Like, there was literally not a single mark on any of the shells. It feels really waxy, and firm, and has a more matte colour than horween.
My personal favourite though, was clayton. It is very thin, making it super easy to stitch, though kinda inappropriate for footwear (they offer heavier grades, though I have no experience with those.). It has very little shine, but the surface is really smooth and buttery. I saw a few blemishes, but nothing serious. The depth of colour is fantastic, and there's some really heavy striations in the dye.
Really, I guess my reasoning boils down to price and surface finish. Horween shell is nice (I mean, even crappy shell is a beautiful leather), but it's not that nice. I feel the major price increase is totally unsubstantiated. Also, it seems that due to increased demand, horween is loosening their qc. If comipel and clayton can make sure their shell meets certain standards, horween should too.post #648 of 14623/3/14 at 4:52amQuote:
Thanks. This is very helpful. Some of the latest horween batches do indeed look awful as compared to the ones I had ordered many years ago...I really do think that horween needs a new competitionpost #649 of 14623/10/14 at 12:19pmpost #650 of 14623/10/14 at 1:22pmpost #651 of 14623/10/14 at 1:48pmpost #652 of 14623/10/14 at 2:15pmpost #653 of 14623/10/14 at 5:44pmpost #654 of 14623/10/14 at 11:08pmpost #655 of 14623/11/14 at 4:57pmpost #656 of 14623/11/14 at 7:09pmpost #657 of 14623/18/14 at 6:25ampost #658 of 14623/18/14 at 8:03ampost #659 of 14623/18/14 at 8:05am
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five Weddings
Currently, there are 1545 Active Users (313 Members and 1232 Guests)
- › ***The Official Rick Owens Thread*** 29 seconds ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 47 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › NFL 2015-16 Thread 9 minutes ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 12 minutes ago
- › Munich in the summer 13 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 14 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 14 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...