or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread - Page 178

post #2656 of 3058
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidVC View Post

Shell Cordovan AE Leeds with a custom walker rubber sole. Or resoled. There is just something wrong with the combo.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282071469469?rmvSB=true
http://www.ebay.com/itm/282071480343?rmvSB=true

The second one has a lot of wear in the inside for a new in the box shoe.
post #2657 of 3058

Self serving post, but I promised pictures. As a follow up to an earlier post about newer Florsheim cordovan shoes as opposed to the older 96305 and others. I managed to find a pair of brown cordovan long wing Kenmoors, new in box, and I was VERY pleased with the quality and appearance of the shoe. It is certainly made with Horween cordovan leather and in a very pleasing brown color. This is a nice change from the more commonly seen black and #8 / burgundy. It is unfortunate that these newer shoes do not seem to come up on Ebay with any regularity. If they do they are worth serious consideration. The WORST part about the shoe is that it does not fit me and so it is being resold to someone with 10 D feet..

 

 

post #2658 of 3058
1) if any New Yorkers wear size 11A, there are some vintage Florsheim plain toe bluchers at a vintage shop on Smith Street and 2nd Place in Brooklyn for $125.

2). What are your thoughts on Allen Edmonds' Bradley? If I'm looking for a NST, are $400 Allen Edmonds seconds worth a look, or should I save up for Aldens?
post #2659 of 3058

Gents, I have some Horween shell boots coming in and needless to say I'm excited. I'd like to think that if I paid this amount of money for boots, I'm damn well going to use them the way boots should be used.

 

With that in mind, is horween shell good at getting water spots out? Would anyone be willing to show before and after pictures? I've read the whole "use a damp cloth and get the whole shell wet, let it air dry, use some deerbone" idea but would like to see some before and after.  

post #2660 of 3058

what color?

post #2661 of 3058

Color 8

post #2662 of 3058
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbhan12 View Post

Gents, I have some Horween shell boots coming in and needless to say I'm excited. I'd like to think that if I paid this amount of money for boots, I'm damn well going to use them the way boots should be used.

With that in mind, is horween shell good at getting water spots out? Would anyone be willing to show before and after pictures? I've read the whole "use a damp cloth and get the whole shell wet, let it air dry, use some deerbone" idea but would like to see some before and after.  

Bump. Anyone?
post #2663 of 3058
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbhan12 View Post


Bump. Anyone?

 

IME, the reaction of shell cordovan to water is on a case by case basis.  Some hides that make up boots and shoes do not suffer from water welts at all and/or minimally.

 

Others seem to react harshly.

 

Here is a little thread I did not too long ago that deals with this:

 

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?229432-Carmina-Shell-Water-Spots

 

Also, here is the world famous thread here on SF that deals with this as well:

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/205531/wolverine-721ltd-shell-cordovan-1000-mile-boot-review

 

Thanks.

post #2664 of 3058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman1 View Post

IME, the reaction of shell cordovan to water is on a case by case basis.  Some hides that make up boots and shoes do not suffer from water welts at all and/or minimally.

Others seem to react harshly.

Here is a little thread I did not too long ago that deals with this:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?229432-Carmina-Shell-Water-Spots

Also, here is the world famous thread here on SF that deals with this as well:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/205531/wolverine-721ltd-shell-cordovan-1000-mile-boot-review

Thanks.

Thanks Watchman. Great post over in AAAC!
post #2665 of 3058
Not sure how many care about matching leathers, but there's a great deal on cordovan belts over at Guarded Goods. Strongly considering picking up a couple; I've never seen them cheaper than this from a merchant I trust.
post #2666 of 3058

England leaving the EU...Stock markets volatile....Terrorist attacks....Much of the US throwing their hands up over Washington and the choices in November. It's days like this I find comfort in solid footwear.

 

post #2667 of 3058


my new whiskeys. actually more ravello-ish IRL
post #2668 of 3058

posting this here to garner more opinions.  What do you think of this tear in shell.  Its on a piece of shell that attaches the lower half if the tongue to the side of the boot (not visible).  Will it just continue to run down to the stitch line and stop or should I be way more concerned?  Can it be patched in some way?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

 

 

 

 

The tear is in that small piece of unlined shell and runs upward towards the black stitch line.  In the picture below, you can best see the corresponding piece on the other side.  

 

 

post #2669 of 3058

ouch that looks pretty gnarly

 

 I wonder if tacking that side of the tongue to the boot, further up top, might help alleviate any strain on the area that the tear is at. You'd have to adjust how you slip into them, but I do not find it a bother at all on a pair of indys that I did (to prevent the tongue from shifting sideways while walking

post #2670 of 3058
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhitelaw View Post
 

ouch that looks pretty gnarly

 

 I wonder if tacking that side of the tongue to the boot, further up top, might help alleviate any strain on the area that the tear is at. You'd have to adjust how you slip into them, but I do not find it a bother at all on a pair of indys that I did (to prevent the tongue from shifting sideways while walking


Yeah I'm wondering if instead tacking the top of the tongue, if the two side of the tear could be sutured together.  When worn and laced, it wouldn't be seen, but I don't know how well that would hold.

 

Here is another picture from the top that shows both sides:

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread