or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread - Page 156

post #2326 of 3237
@Deusis is the care regimen different for unglazed shell? Does it spot just as easily as regular shell? Does it have the same pull-up effect? Damnit I have so many questions.
post #2327 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

@Deusis is the care regimen different for unglazed shell? Does it spot just as easily as regular shell? Does it have the same pull-up effect? Damnit I have so many questions.

 

Haha. Regimen TBD!

 

I wore them yesterday and got some water/snow on them. Didn't really have much of an effect. Same type of shell feel but a bite more natural feeling. I wouldn't say regular shell has a pull-up but that is just me.

 

I ordered about 25 sq. ft. of unglazed natural shell from Horween for my leather business so I can do some more testing if you have anything specific in mind when it arrives.


Edited by Deusis - 3/18/16 at 5:44am
post #2328 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deusis View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

@Deusis is the care regimen different for unglazed shell? Does it spot just as easily as regular shell? Does it have the same pull-up effect? Damnit I have so many questions.

 

Haha. Regiment TBD!

 

I wore them yesterday and got some water/snow on them. Didn't really have much of an effect. Same type of shell feel but a bite more natural feeling. I wouldn't say regular shell has a pull-up but that is just me.

 

I ordered about 25 sq. ft. of unglazed natural shell from Horween for my leather business so I can do some more testing if you have anything specific in mind when it arrives.

 

 

hmm shoot me a PM when you can about a card holder in this material.. need something for business cards

 

also, unrelated, but got my order of laces and shell keyfob thingy today. awesome products :cheers:

post #2329 of 3237

Recent pickups from other members- 4 different makers

 

post #2330 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcam8 View Post


That is a nice green, Jazzy.
Always a great look.


Thanks..

post #2331 of 3237

For those of you with MTO AE and standard stock Carmina cordovan experience (@peppercorn78, et al)... if price is the same, who do you choose?  In the end, I find myself trying to decide if AE's recraft and local SA's are of greater value than my perception of Carmina's better quality.

 

I'm not posing this as a hypothetical - I will likely be making an investment informed by this feedback.  Thanks!

post #2332 of 3237
Choose the one that fits you best. The only Carmina last that fits my foot is Detroit, and they only make two models on that last, PTB and LWB, both of which I have. The Carnina LWB is way more attractive than the AE MacNeil, IMO. Plus there's the clearly superior finishing and detailing. But other models on other lasts like Simpson or Rain or Forest wouldn't work for me, so I would chose AE or Alden, I suppose, in those cases.

AEs clear advantage is the ability to easily return pairs that don't fit you, and have a pair that does quickly made for you if not in stock.

If fit and knowledge of fit is removed as an issue, I would chose Carmina every time.
post #2333 of 3237
Btw, Carmina PTBs today:

post #2334 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post

Btw, Carmina PTBs today:

 

 

 

Me too

post #2335 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkebh979 View Post
 

For those of you with MTO AE and standard stock Carmina cordovan experience (@peppercorn78, et al)... if price is the same, who do you choose?  In the end, I find myself trying to decide if AE's recraft and local SA's are of greater value than my perception of Carmina's better quality.

 

I'm not posing this as a hypothetical - I will likely be making an investment informed by this feedback.  Thanks!

AE IMO, they both have issues but with Carmina it's a huge hassle when things go wrong. I like AEs finishing but Carmina has better build quality. With Carmina you risk running into the 'dry shell'. 

 

Of course I'd take the company which shall not be named over either :-)

post #2336 of 3237

Not exactly a traditional shoe for this thread but it is shell...

 

Horween Mahogany Shell Cordovan Sneakers from Rider Boot Company -- Full Image Album Here

 

So here is something fun and different. A few months ago I emailed Ron Rider about the possibility of getting some shell cordovan sneakers made. We briefly emailed back and forth about it and he mentioned he thought about doing it before but didn't know how reasonably priced they could be made (with Horween shell). We both had a lot on our plate at the time so he just said he'd think about it.

 

Fast forward to about a month ago when he was in Italy, he starts emailing me some pictures while he is at the Cortina factory of different variations of sneakers... cap toe, plain toe, low profile sole, high profile sole... He ends up giving me a call and we start talking through some of the details. He says they can make them in shell and wanted to know which type of specs I thought would look good.

 

I immediately chose the plain toe style (I didn't think the cap toe looked particularly appealing) and couldn't really decide between the low profile or high profile. I end up asking if he can make me a pair in both so I can see and compare the differences. I really wanted to see how the soles will wear too. Ron made up two pairs for me in the Horween Mahogany Shell Cordovan color since he had a bit on hand so I could compare and test.

 

High Profile Sole

 

 

 

Lower Profile Sole

 

 

Higher profile on the feet

 

 

 

post #2337 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by wklq76a View Post
 


Rider Boot Co., in British Racing Green shell for the holiday! :cheers:

 

Great boot. What last are these on? 

post #2338 of 3237
High profile sole! How much?
post #2339 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deusis View Post

Not exactly a traditional shoe for this thread but it is shell...

Horween Mahogany Shell Cordovan Sneakers from Rider Boot Company -- Full Image Album Here

So here is something fun and different. A few months ago I emailed Ron Rider about the possibility of getting some shell cordovan sneakers made. We briefly emailed back and forth about it and he mentioned he thought about doing it before but didn't know how reasonably priced they could be made (with Horween shell). We both had a lot on our plate at the time so he just said he'd think about it.



 



Fast forward to about a month ago when he was in Italy, he starts emailing me some pictures while he is at the Cortina factory of different variations of sneakers... cap toe, plain toe, low profile sole, high profile sole... He ends up giving me a call and we start talking through some of the details. He says they can make them in shell and wanted to know which type of specs I thought would look good.



 



I immediately chose the plain toe style (I didn't think the cap toe looked particularly appealing) and couldn't really decide between the low profile or high profile. I end up asking if he can make me a pair in both so I can see and compare the differences. I really wanted to see how the soles will wear too. Ron made up two pairs for me in the Horween Mahogany Shell Cordovan color since he had a bit on hand so I could compare and test.



 



High Profile Sole






 







 



Lower Profile Sole






 






 



Higher profile on the feet






 



 


I really like the idea of shell sneakers, but I can't get behind paying for it if it can't be resoled.
post #2340 of 3237
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post

High profile sole! How much?

 

Price will probably be around $600 - $650.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchill W View Post


I really like the idea of shell sneakers, but I can't get behind paying for it if it can't be resoled.

 

I'm going to confirm 100% that they can't be resoled. I don't think it'd be fair to say they can never be resoled since Randy the Cobbler could probably do it for a fee.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread