or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread - Page 9

post #121 of 965
^One thing I noticed with my Darlton/Marlows is that the heel pad loses most of its spring after 10-20 wearings, while the Aldens keep going strong well past that mark. That's most of the comfort difference for me.
post #122 of 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by forex View Post

Did anyone notice that CJ cordovan is much rougher than Alden cordovan? My alden cordovans mold to my feet and fit like gloves whereas CJ cordovans are substantially rougher, I don't know if it is the double sole or any other construction feature, CJs don't feel as comfortable as Aldens.
Hard for me to say. I've had a pair of Alden PTBs for about a year, and a brand new pair of Darlton's. The latter last fits me better than the Barrie (which is a bit loose), so it's hard to isolate out comfort issues specific to the leather/construction. I'm hoping you're wrong though.
post #123 of 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

1252

dude what are those wingtip boots, alden? nice going namor
post #124 of 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Lee View Post

Have you ever seen this pair before?


glad, i haven't seen this disaster before. thanks for posting, though.
post #125 of 965

Can I join your club? Brand new light cognac boots with Dainite soles from Carmina. (Apologies for the iPhone image quality.)

 

42b0deec_photo-1.jpeg

 

They're actually more brown/less orange than this.

post #126 of 965
man Carmina always nails the proportions. Nice
post #127 of 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post

glad, i haven't seen this disaster before. thanks for posting, though.

why disaster? Cheaney generally good value eh.gif
post #128 of 965
Among all middle-tier factories, Carmina has the most contoured and beautiful lasts. No competition. mymil, good luck trying to break those shell cordovan boots!
post #129 of 965
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymil View Post

Can I join your club? Brand new light cognac boots with Dainite soles from Carmina. (Apologies for the iPhone image quality.)

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
42b0deec_photo-1.jpeg

 

They're actually more brown/less orange than this.

Very nice, Mymil - post pics after you've worn them a while.
post #130 of 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

man Carmina always nails the proportions. Nice

talking about sleek lasts on boots. paging spoo...
post #131 of 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny View Post

why disaster? Cheaney generally good value eh.gif

proportions are totally off. in i-gent language: frankenshoe.
post #132 of 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post

proportions are totally off. in i-gent language: frankenshoe.

I'll have to agree with you there. Those Cheaneys are a bit of an abomination IMO.
post #133 of 965
Thanks, gents! I was hunting for a svelte boot, and knew these were the ones as soon as I saw them. Carmina has recently opened up an online store, but last time I checked these weren't on it.

As for breaking them in, that process will unfortunately be delayed, as I think I'm going to be sending them back for them to darken them with some sort of shoe magic spell. Has anybody heard of altering the color of cordovan post-tanning? I assume Betty's (of Carmina) suggestion is sound, and that they have the specialized supplies.

On another note, the only pain point of ordering from Carmina was the timezone difference--we could only email every other day! One from Betty at 1 am, and one from me after she'd gone home for the day. happy.gif
post #134 of 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymil View Post

Thanks, gents! I was hunting for a svelte boot, and knew these were the ones as soon as I saw them. Carmina has recently opened up an online store, but last time I checked these weren't on it.
As for breaking them in, that process will unfortunately be delayed, as I think I'm going to be sending them back for them to darken them with some sort of shoe magic spell. Has anybody heard of altering the color of cordovan post-tanning? I assume Betty's (of Carmina) suggestion is sound, and that they have the specialized supplies.
On another note, the only pain point of ordering from Carmina was the timezone difference--we could only email every other day! One from Betty at 1 am, and one from me after she'd gone home for the day. happy.gif

They'll darken on their own, wear them and enjoy the process.
post #135 of 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

They'll darken on their own, wear them and enjoy the process.

+1
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread