or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rhett)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum,... - Page 264

post #3946 of 6215
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeSpiffington View Post

Not at all my friend. I've got the J Crew pct and the Leffot #8 Naval boots, two completely different animals.

You need at least 50 pairs to be able to say this out loud with a straight face
post #3947 of 6215
Thread Starter 
..
Edited by NAMOR - 11/3/13 at 2:01pm
post #3948 of 6215
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

You need at least 50 pairs to be able to say this out loud with a straight face
Agreed! It's hard enough keeping a straight face while reading this thread.
Edited by BeSpiffington - 11/3/13 at 3:19pm
post #3949 of 6215
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post


They just happen to the most versatile. I would rank Gianni up top.

Gianni
Galway
Lindrick
BB Captoe
Various Alden

Not so fast my friend. biggrin.gif

Reasonable people can disagree ....

I assume by versatility we are talking everything from denim to twills to flannels to a suit (or at least a blazer/sport coat).

I have four pairs of Alden color 8 boots on the Plaza last (plaintoe, NST, Wing Tip, and captoe). I would rank each one of them at the top of that list.
post #3950 of 6215
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

You need at least 50 pairs to be able to say this out loud with a straight face

This is a club for which I sometimes wonder if I should be ashamed to be a member.
post #3951 of 6215

X post from the Non-Alden shell cordovan thread: Gianis today, with flannels.  

 

 

post #3952 of 6215
These Gianni photos are outstanding, guys. I've neglected RL/C&J for too long.
post #3953 of 6215
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

Not so fast my friend. biggrin.gif

Reasonable people can disagree ....

I assume by versatility we are talking everything from denim to twills to flannels to a suit (or at least a blazer/sport coat).

I have four pairs of Alden color 8 boots on the Plaza last (plaintoe, NST, Wing Tip, and captoe). I would rank each one of them at the top of that list.

shocking. my statement is based on personal experiences with all of the boots i listed so I dont make the statement lightly. I love Alden but C&J is just hands down a superior product, even if Alden does make a handful of more attractive and care-friendly shell shoes.

To your point, Alden Plaza is damn attractive. in a C&J-free I world id be perfectly happy with Alden, thinking it was the greatest boot on earth. And all my opinions would reflect this.

edit - Hell ive been after the plaza wingtip boot forever and even tried to organize a similar model through Carmina. Its still at the bottom of the list though
Edited by NAMOR - 11/4/13 at 7:13am
post #3954 of 6215
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybrowne View Post

???? What about your Galways?!

the gianni remind me in many ways of the EG nevis; not as sleek and without the nst however proportions are awfully similar and I can see myself wearing these boots more casually than the galway. if i was going a 2 week trip and could bring just one boot, it would be the gianni
post #3955 of 6215
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

shocking. my statement is based on personal experiences with all of the boots i listed so I dont make the statement lightly. I love Alden but C&J is just hands down a superior product, even if Alden does make a handful of more attractive and care-friendly shell shoes.

To your point, Alden Plaza is damn attractive. in a C&J-free I world id be perfectly happy with Alden, thinking it was the greatest boot on earth. And all my opinions would reflect this.

edit - Hell ive been after the plaza wingtip boot forever and even tried to organize a similar model through Carmina. Its still at the bottom of the list though

And so is mine. biggrin.gif

No need for sarcasm.

I own or have owned all the boots you listed, with the exception of the Gianni, which I ordered, considered, and returned. The boot's size was too large, but I would not have ordered a size smaller even if they had it. Still a bit too Indy-like for what I was looking for. While it is more streamlined than the Indy, it is still a relatively wide boot on a relatively wide last. But of course that is what some are after, and I have no problem with that.

I like C&J shell and have plenty of it. My post went to the issue of versatility - not quality - and nowhere did I claim Alden made a superior product to C&J. However, speaking of quality, I have had to return 4 C&J shell models - shoes and boots - for QC issues. Alden, without doubt, has its own QC issues.

But back to versatility. I stand by my original post. If you disagree, I have no problem with that.
post #3956 of 6215
Thread Starter 
post #3957 of 6215

Sorry Sevenfold .....This is the more versatile boot as I see it.  No question.  Sevenfold has narrow width feet, I think he forgot to mention this fact so I understand him not liking the Gianni, it would be a poor fit for him.  I like the fit of this boot better than any of my other boots.  BB Cap, Harleck.  I off loaded the Lindricks to make room for this makeup, again more versatility was the thinking.  At the end of the day, we should all be thankful for what we have.  Most get by on much less in life.

post #3958 of 6215
On the "versatility" scale (i.e. looking perfectly in place with a wool suit, chinos, and denim), the Marlow wingtip boots and Alden captoe boots either in Plaza and Grant and in black or color 8, seem to take the cake. This Gianni looks beautiful but IMO the three shoes I listed work better with suits and equally as well with chinos and denim.

EDIT - I meant "Marlow wingtip shoes"
Edited by Alcibiades - 11/4/13 at 11:37am
post #3959 of 6215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcibiades View Post

On the "versatility" scale (i.e. looking perfectly in place with a wool suit, chinos, and denim), the Marlow wingtip boots and Alden captoe boots either in Plaza and Grant and in black or color 8, seem to take the take. This Gianni looks beautiful but IMO the three shoes I listed work better with suits and equally as well with chinos and denim.

Ahh, I thankfully no longer wear suits, I see your point.   

post #3960 of 6215
Thread Starter 
i totally understand where both 7ftg and Alci are coming from. fortunately none of us have to make the difficult decision of choosing just one
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rhett)