or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rhett)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum,... - Page 180

post #2686 of 6198
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoit1981 View Post

So I finally have my Marlows. They really are things of beauty and I'll be sure to post some photos at some point soon. At the moment I'm buffing and wearing them around the apartment, sticking to areas where I have carpet / rug. The soles really are stiff and I can only imagine they'll take a age to break in.
Congratulations on the new Marlows. Did you get the wingtips, PTB's, or the loafers? Silly question I know, but they are all designated as Marlow on the RL website. Your right on with the buffing, they do come with a car load of wax on them. Surprisingly my wingtips didn't take very long at all to feel comfortable. Nice score!
post #2687 of 6198
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeSpiffington View Post

Congratulations on the new Marlows. Did you get the wingtips, PTB's, or the loafers? Silly question I know, but they are all designated as Marlow on the RL website. Your right on with the buffing, they do come with a car load of wax on them. Surprisingly my wingtips didn't take very long at all to feel comfortable. Nice score!

The wingtips. Beautiful. Only issue is some heel slippage with the right shoe - the left is perfect. Would you happen to have a decent solution to that perchance sir?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredandTired View Post

I've been eyeing one of the belts from Equus leather. The color is either the oak or dark harness. Both have a rich color, the oak is lighter and I would imagine the Marlows would patina to match the lighter shade with time.

Mmmm... that Oak Brown looks nice. Thanks for the info.
post #2688 of 6198
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoit1981 View Post

The wingtips. Beautiful. Only issue is some heel slippage with the right shoe - the left is perfect. Would you happen to have a decent solution to that perchance sir?
Mmmm... that Oak Brown looks nice. Thanks for the info.
As you've mentioned the double leather soles are quite stiff and as such a certain amount of heel slippage is to be expected. Nobody's feet are the same size, and we all walk with a gate that is either right or left foot dominant. As you settle into your new shoes they'll begin to mold to the the shape of your feet.
post #2689 of 6198
I finally received my Marlow Wingtips from the recent sale.

I'm on the fence about whether I want to keep them.

First, the color isn't nearly as lovely as a lot of the pictures I've seen, which make them out to be a nice mahogany shade. Mine are more greenish like cigar.

Here they are next to my brown shell strands (AE), which are not really that red at all in true light. This is my smartphone 'flash'


The second issue is that the flaps close together when they're tied. I'm wearing thin socks, but there is no room to make it tighter, and in my experience shell will stretch a bit over the top, perhaps making them too loose over time.

Thoughts?
post #2690 of 6198
If you're not sold on the colour ... return for refund.
If you keep and they do loosen over time, a band-aid solution would be the use of a tongue pad.
post #2691 of 6198
RL accept returns also for creased shoes? just for curiosity
post #2692 of 6198
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexSF View Post

RL accept returns also for creased shoes? just for curiosity

They came creased and with slightly scuffed soles, so yes, they must. The right shoe was tried on obviously. The left was more virgin.
post #2693 of 6198
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgleason View Post

The second issue is that the flaps close together when they're tied. I'm wearing thin socks, but there is no room to make it tighter, and in my experience shell will stretch a bit over the top, perhaps making them too loose over time.

Thoughts?

I have the opposite issue where it doesn't close enough for me. If you are not happy with how much they close, I think they might be too wide for you. Don't think there is really a solution for this unless you are able to size down.
post #2694 of 6198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston S. View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgleason View Post

The second issue is that the flaps close together when they're tied. I'm wearing thin socks, but there is no room to make it tighter, and in my experience shell will stretch a bit over the top, perhaps making them too loose over time.

Thoughts?

I have the opposite issue where it doesn't close enough for me. If you are not happy with how much they close, I think they might be too wide for you. Don't think there is really a solution for this unless you are able to size down.

There is no way I could size down. These are relatively narrow in the first place, and are snug on the sides, just not on top, and my smaller toes are very close to the edge.

I think a tongue pad or thicker socks should suffice for the ability to tie it tighter.

Now I just need to determine if I want to keep the greenish hue. Why oh why couldn't they look like these from another member (countingsheep)?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countingsheep View Post

As promised, a few examples of what Venetian can do. I can't say enough how great their product is.

vyhe3yne.jpg

yzaru9ut.jpg

zu3emupe.jpg
post #2695 of 6198
I noticed that old stock of these shoes (Polo branded) have the same color as above.

The actual stock are much darker, almost dark chocolate except under the sun, probably for a different finish that cover the original colour.
post #2696 of 6198
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexSF View Post

The actual stock are much darker, almost dark chocolate except under the sun, probably for a different finish that cover the original colour.

Mine from November are darker like you have noticed.
post #2697 of 6198

I understand your fit issues.  I have wingtips, PTBs, and two different versions of loafers (Marlow and Prescott) from RL. The cordovan will definitely stretch over time!  

 

I recommend visiting a store to exchange the ones you received for a better fitting pair; RL is always accommodating about this in my experience. I find that the fit and color between pairs of Marlows in the same size can vary dramatically.  It seems like the shade of brown cordovan sold by RL has become darker over the years.  Keep in mind it is possible to alter the color through a polishing regimen.  Good luck. 

post #2698 of 6198
Gsg just return them you don't seem to be satisfied with these shoes. How many pairs have you gone through now?
post #2699 of 6198
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post

Gsg just return them you don't seem to be satisfied with these shoes. How many pairs have you gone through now?

Touche, sir. I will continue to mull it over.
post #2700 of 6198
Thought I'd post a quick (edited) photo of my Marlows. Still have some buffing to perform - they coloring is quite uneven in some areas. I'm glad that they don't have any green hues, just a beautiful, rich mahogany happy.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rhett)