or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rhett)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum,... - Page 173

post #2581 of 6296
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post

BeSpiffington: Are you experiencing the same fit as with the wngtips? I hope to get a pair if the next sale incudes them AND has a kicker! biggrin.gif
Deacon, I would say they fit differently even though they are the same size 11D. Here's a photo comparison. The PTB feels fuller and looks wider in the photo. I suspect that it comes down to who made, or do you say lasted, the shoes. I've read discussions concerning the different lasts of the two shoes, 341 PTB vs. 325 wingtip. But, unless you had a couple pairs of each to try on at the same time I think you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. I know, I'm killing you with the laces.
Edited by BeSpiffington - 4/18/13 at 3:51pm
post #2582 of 6296
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeSpiffington View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post

BeSpiffington: Are you experiencing the same fit as with the wngtips? I hope to get a pair if the next sale incudes them AND has a kicker! biggrin.gif
Deacon, I would say they fit differently even though they are the same size 11D. Here's a photo comparison. The PTB feels fuller and looks wider in the photo. I suspect that it comes down to who made, or do you say lasted, the shoes. I've read discussions concerning the different lasts of the two shoes, 341 PTB vs. 325 wingtip. But, unless you had a couple pairs of each to try on at the same time I think you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. I know, I'm killing you with the laces.


Great pickup B-Spiff! How do these compare to the Alden PTB?  Do you have a pair of Alden cigar PTB's (or any of the alden shell PTBs)? Which do you prefer to wear? My 990 and 9901 are two of the most comfortable leather soled shoes I've ever owned.  Thinking of pulling the trigger on a cigar PTB, but the Marlow may be a better option, no?  What do you think?  Thanks my friend!

post #2583 of 6296
which last is the penny on again?
post #2584 of 6296
What C&J last is the Marlow wingtip on?

How does it differ from the C&J Swansea besides the sole and cordo?
post #2585 of 6296
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben View Post

which last is the penny on again?
314 I think? It's tts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

What C&J last is the Marlow wingtip on?

How does it differ from the C&J Swansea besides the sole and cordo?

325
post #2586 of 6296
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post


Great pickup B-Spiff! How do these compare to the Alden PTB?  Do you have a pair of Alden cigar PTB's (or any of the alden shell PTBs)? Which do you prefer to wear? My 990 and 9901 are two of the most comfortable leather soled shoes I've ever owned.  Thinking of pulling the trigger on a cigar PTB, but the Marlow may be a better option, no?  What do you think?  Thanks my friend!
RTP, I've got a pair of #8 Alden 990's. The Marlows are significantly different than the Alden PTB's. Not in the way they are constructed per say, but in the overall finish for sure. If you look at both side by side you can see that the RL's are just a little nicer. From the welt, to the lining, to the detail in the stitching the Marlows look better to my eye and feel more sumptuous on my feet. The Alden's are akin to driving a Lincoln Town Car. They're a big and comfortable ride with some quality control issues. The Marlow PTB's are like a four door V-12 Jaguar, a proper salon motorcar. You should decide for yourself if it justifies the almost $200 difference in price. I like the way Alden does their shell, but I love the way C&J makes their shoes. One mans humble opinion.
Edited by BeSpiffington - 4/19/13 at 12:25pm
post #2587 of 6296

This is mine on a maiden voyage

Unexpectable very comfotable after the full day wearing at client site (13 hours actually!)

 

1000

post #2588 of 6296
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdolina View Post

This is mine on a maiden voyage
Unexpectable very comfotable after the full day wearing at client site (13 hours actually!)

Your experience with the comfort level of the Marlow wingtips was similar to mine. I wore them for almost an entire weekend and my feet were the last thing I was concerned with.
post #2589 of 6296
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeSpiffington View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppTiePrepster View Post


Great pickup B-Spiff! How do these compare to the Alden PTB?  Do you have a pair of Alden cigar PTB's (or any of the alden shell PTBs)? Which do you prefer to wear? My 990 and 9901 are two of the most comfortable leather soled shoes I've ever owned.  Thinking of pulling the trigger on a cigar PTB, but the Marlow may be a better option, no?  What do you think?  Thanks my friend!
RTP, I've got a pair of #8 Alden 990's. The Marlows are significantly different than the Alden PTB's. Not in the way they are constructed per say, but in the overall finish for sure. If you look at both side by side you can see that the RL's are just a little nicer. From the welt, to the lining, to the detail in the stitching the Marlows look better to my eye and feel more sumptuous on my feet. The Alden's are akin to driving a Lincoln Town Car. They're a big and comfortable ride with some quality control issues. The Marlow PTB's are like a four door V-12 Jaguar, a proper salon motorcar. You should decide for yourself if it justifies the almost $200 difference in price. I like the way Alden does their shell, but I love the way C&J makes their shoes. One mans humble opinion.


Thanks for the analysis Spiff.  I haven't seen the RL PTB yet, but I will look for them.  Still looking for my Porsche! smile.gif

post #2590 of 6296



post #2591 of 6296
Can someone with a size 10.5 tassel loafer measure the outsole width and length for me? Be MUCH appreciated!
post #2592 of 6296
Thought someone would appreciate these eBay rarities. Both 12D


DUB Monk boots: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RALPH-LAUREN-12-D-BURNISHED-CHESTNUT-WOODCOAT-SHOE-BOOTS-NIB-ON-SALE-TODAY-/360462139007?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item53ed37be7f

$(KGrHqZ,!rgE-dKvgiFNBPwpPl7M7Q~~60_12.JPG

These things are WHACK
post #2593 of 6296
Quote:
Originally Posted by md2010 View Post




md2010, dude no you didn't. A fine family you have there. Having now both the wingtips and the PTB's I'm seriously considering the penny loafers. How comfortable are they with their double leather soles, and do they get much wear? Did you get them in the same size as your PTB's and short wings? Do you really like the RL Marlow shoes that much, or did just want to collect them all. I guess you can never have too many brown shell cordovan shoes. Nice lineup!
Edited by BeSpiffington - 4/21/13 at 7:29am
post #2594 of 6296
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeSpiffington View Post

md2910, dude no you didn't. A fine family you have there. Having now both the wingtips and the PTB's I'm seriously considering the penny loafers. How comfortable are they with their double leather soles, and do they get much wear? I guess you can never have too many brown shell cordovan shoes. Nice lineup!
Thanks. Double leather sole is a pain is the @$$. In my current rotation they get maximum 1-2 wear a month. Double leather needs at least 20 wear before they get comfortable.
I am looking for a pair of wingtip and lindrick. Waiting for 40% off sale !!!
post #2595 of 6296
Quote:
Originally Posted by md2010 View Post

Thanks. Double leather sole is a pain is the @$$. In my current rotation they get maximum 1-2 wear a month. Double leather needs at least 20 wear before they get comfortable.
I am looking for a pair of wingtip and lindrick. Waiting for 40% off sale !!!
I guess I'd like to hear from someone who gets a lot of pavement time with their penny's as to how they wear. The Lindricks are a very nice looking boot. It's only the end of April so they can wait until November.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rhett)