or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rhett)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum,... - Page 169

post #2521 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post

If you want a fit close to Barrie last, size up from Barrie. In fact my 8.5D Marlows are actually still a bit smaller than my 8D Barrie LWBs. 

Another one here to say go half size up from Barrie last size

And because it was mentioned I'm now on the hunt for the reasoning behind the heel of a shoe not sitting flat until your weight is in/on it... I know I read or heard it from a repudible source that this is expected and proper. Obviously if its uncomfortable then it's too much but if anyone remembers why this is built into a good shoe, please share

I'll keep looking and post anything I can find
post #2522 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by david3558 View Post

I just got my Marlows in the mail direct from RL - beauties I say. The double leather sole is pretty intense, heel slip for days thanks to the stiffness. I can't wait to get them broken in.

I actually went 8.5 for these bad boys, that's half size down. Definitely smaller than the 8.5 Barrie overall but it fits more like a glove, I know once the foot settles into the footbed it'll feel a lot better. Heel is annoyingly wide just like the Barrie but not AS wide.

well, are you a 8.5E barrie or 8.5D barrie, if you're "E", I would imagine you would be wearing 9D in Marlow (not like you have a choice in width in marlow in the US anyway).
post #2523 of 5806
Regarding heel raise, looked at my pair today during reno time and saw none on my pair after 25 wears or so


And the power of Saphir reno one without on with, damn the shell gets dry
post #2524 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by david3558 View Post

I just got my Marlows in the mail direct from RL - beauties I say. The double leather sole is pretty intense, heel slip for days thanks to the stiffness. I can't wait to get them broken in.

I actually went 8.5 for these bad boys, that's half size down. Definitely smaller than the 8.5 Barrie overall but it fits more like a glove, I know once the foot settles into the footbed it'll feel a lot better. Heel is annoyingly wide just like the Barrie but not AS wide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediahound View Post

If you want a fit close to Barrie last, size up from Barrie. In fact my 8.5D Marlows are actually still a bit smaller than my 8D Barrie LWBs. 

 

Looks like I'm going to be returning for a half size smaller, after wearing the shoes around on the carpet for about 15 minutes.  It didn't feel quite right, bit too loose across the top of the foot even with tight lacing.  I imagine they'd loosen up even more after break-in.  I pushed my heel into the back of the shoe and located where the toes ended, it looks like I can size down another half size for a better fit.  I'm probably on the narrower side of a D width.  

 

I think I probably don't want to go through the hassle of returns and everything, but I got to give a half size down a try and nail down the fit.

 

The wingtips are a beautiful color and finely detailed, though the shape of the last is not as sleek as I would've imagined.  I may change my mind after I hopefully put some miles into a properly fitted pair.  

post #2525 of 5806
Got my Marlow Plain Toe Blutcher (PTB) in the mail today during the Giving in Style promotion. Special thanks to Dastig (Robert) for helping finding my size in his store. These shoes are such beauties.

Now I have to get them shipped off to Nick at B.Nelson for flush metal toe caps!
post #2526 of 5806
kdv10, pics please of your great new score would be nice. Congratulations!
post #2527 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post

Regarding heel raise, looked at my pair today during reno time and saw none on my pair after 25 wears or so


And the power of Saphir reno one without on with, damn the shell gets dry

What are the shoes above the Marlow/Darltons in your picture, Stevent?
post #2528 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countingsheep View Post

And because it was mentioned I'm now on the hunt for the reasoning behind the heel of a shoe not sitting flat until your weight is in/on it... I know I read or heard it from a repudible source that this is expected and proper. Obviously if its uncomfortable then it's too much but if anyone remembers why this is built into a good shoe, please share

I'll keep looking and post anything I can find

In this case it did not flatten out when I put my full weight on them (220 lbs). I could feel the pressure at that pivot point and I could rock back and forth.

The replacements are scheduled to be delivered next week, at which point I will test and post photos.

Also, the pair I sent back was obviously tried on already (creases and slight worn outsole, not that I cared about that), and came with an extra set of laces, which I kept.

These were the best laces of any dress shoe I own. They are waxed yet very soft and malleable and are actually an oval shape instead of round. I wish I could get more!
post #2529 of 5806
This morning I called RL Madison ave. in NYC about a return and impulsively ordered the PTB in 11D, same size as my Marlow wingtips. Are the PTB's close the Marlow wingtips in colour? Anyone have a comparison pic? Thanks
post #2530 of 5806
They were both the same color in the Boston RL store when I tried them on last month.
post #2531 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdv10 View Post

Got my Marlow Plain Toe Blutcher (PTB) in the mail today during the Giving in Style promotion. Special thanks to Dastig (Robert) for helping finding my size in his store. These shoes are such beauties.

Now I have to get them shipped off to Nick at B.Nelson for flush metal toe caps!

Please post pics of the soles after getting flush metal toe caps

Thanks,
post #2532 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgleason View Post

What are the shoes above the Marlow/Darltons in your picture, Stevent?

Lindricks
post #2533 of 5806
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post

They were both the same color in the Boston RL store when I tried them on last month.
I gotta ask, did you find that you'd wear the same size in both the wingtips and PTB's?
post #2534 of 5806
I could wear same in both but I hear the fit varies. I was ok in 13D in either the ptb or the shortwing.
post #2535 of 5806
^ Thanks Deacon, that ameliorates my sizing anxiety for the moment.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rhett)