or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rhett)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum,... - Page 104

post #1546 of 5266
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post

you rarely see this on Vass, any reason?

I don't know. I own only one pair of Vass shoes and they're not shell cordovan. Unfortunately, I've never made it to Budapest. I really like the U and F lasts and would like to buy more Vass shoes.

Edit: Does the Vass shell cordovan crease more like calfskin? That would seem strange to me. I own shell cordovan shoes from Alden, C&J, and Martegani and they all show the broad creases similar to NAMOR's picture.
post #1547 of 5266
^^I think shell creasing depends on how the shoes fit you. I have some pairs that almost don't have ugly creasing. Penny loafers (RL) are not one of them, my left shoe has ugly creases and right shoe looks great so it must be the fit. I even tried the pen break in method,which I think is bullshit.
post #1548 of 5266
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinman View Post

I don't know. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I own only one pair of Vass shoes and they're not shell cordovan. Unfortunately, I've never made it to Budapest. I really like the U and F lasts and would like to buy more Vass shoes.
Edit: Does the Vass shell cordovan crease more like calfskin? That would seem strange to me. I own shell cordovan shoes from Alden, C&J, and Martegani and they all show the broad creases similar to NAMOR's picture.

i see. thank you for taking your time.

actually, i wouldn't mind it on a loafer, though.
post #1549 of 5266
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post

you rarely see this on Vass, any reason?

I don't know for sure, but I've read that there is a noticeable difference in the shell depending on the supplier. Sounds like Comipel is softer and does not crease as much as Horween. I'm pretty sure Alden and C&J use Horween; some European makers like Trickers use Comipel. Could that be it?
post #1550 of 5266
Quote:
Originally Posted by forex View Post


I have several pairs of shoes and for some reason do not reach out to wingtips often. They fit me very well though and I should start wearing them more often.

 

It's all about context and personal preference. Your non-preference for wingtips is equally valid as someone who wears them all the time.

 

We all like different things smile.gif

post #1551 of 5266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post

It's all about context and personal preference. Your non-preference for wingtips is equally valid as someone who wears them all the time.

We all like different things smile.gif

I've worn wingtips 4/4 days so far, probably gonna make it 5 tmrw
post #1552 of 5266

I keep checking this thread to get notification of the aforementioned sale - might jump on the Lindrick and the Darlton wingtip to go with my PTBs and tassels.  I admit I am a sucker for brown shell.

 

As far as the brown Lindrick being shell / calf - my recollection is that it didn't state whether it was shell back when they made their first appearance (last year) either.  In fact, I think there was a question posted about whether they were shell, and no one was absolutely sure until they started arriving on doorsteps. 

post #1553 of 5266
For those who own Darlton (aka Marlow) wingtips on C&J's 325 and Lindricks, do you wear the same size in both?
Edited by Morgan - 8/31/12 at 12:05pm
post #1554 of 5266
Thread Starter 
ime, the boots runs 1/2 size big. the wingtip is to 1/4 sizes big
post #1555 of 5266
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post

I keep checking this thread to get notification of the aforementioned sale - might jump on the Lindrick and the Darlton wingtip to go with my PTBs and tassels.  I admit I am a sucker for brown shell.

 

As far as the brown Lindrick being shell / calf - my recollection is that it didn't state whether it was shell back when they made their first appearance (last year) either.  In fact, I think there was a question posted about whether they were shell, and no one was absolutely sure until they started arriving on doorsteps. 

 

That was then though - why wouldn't they be consistent with the other shell shoes on their site. e.g.

 

Marlow Penny Loafer

Details: "Handsome and versatile penny loafer, constructed in dark brown shell cordovan with double-needle-stitch detail."

Color: "Dark Brown Cordovan"

 

Lindrick Boot

Description: "The Lindrick lace-up boot is crafted in England of durable leather with wingtip-inspired perforation for a classic heritage look."

Color: "Dark Brown"

 

We won't know for sure till someone actually buys a pair but two questions come to mind:

  1. If the Lindrick is shell, why not advertise the fact given the $1100 price?
  2. If the Lindrick is calf, why charge $1100 (Epaulet's similar offering in cognac shell will cost a few hundred dollars less)?
post #1556 of 5266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post

That was then though - why wouldn't they be consistent with the other shell shoes on their site. e.g.

Marlow Penny Loafer
Details: "Handsome and versatile penny loafer, constructed in dark brown shell cordovan with double-needle-stitch detail.
"
Color: "Dark Brown Cordovan
"

Lindrick Boot
Description: "The Lindrick lace-up boot is crafted in England of durable leather with wingtip-inspired perforation for a classic heritage look.
"
Color: "Dark Brown
"

We won't know for sure till someone actually buys a pair but two questions come to mind:
  1. If the Lindrick is shell, why not advertise the fact given the $1100 price?
  2. If the Lindrick is calf, why charge $1100 (Epaulet's similar offering in cognac shell will cost a few hundred dollars less)?

Cause it's RL and the brand itself is good enough to sell. GQ mentioned Marlows and didn't mention cordovan but did mention RL and the $850 price tag.
post #1557 of 5266
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I don't know for sure, but I've read that there is a noticeable difference in the shell depending on the supplier. Sounds like Comipel is softer and does not crease as much as Horween. I'm pretty sure Alden and C&J use Horween; some European makers like Trickers use Comipel.
Could that be it?

yes
post #1558 of 5266
spam[1].gif posted another marlow and a rhett in b&s, just giving you guys the heads up first
post #1559 of 5266
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post


As far as the brown Lindrick being shell / calf - my recollection is that it didn't state whether it was shell back when they made their first appearance (last year) either.  In fact, I think there was a question posted about whether they were shell, and no one was absolutely sure until they started arriving on doorsteps. 


On 29 Oct 11 -
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Awesome cordovan? No indication on the site

On 29 Oct 11 -
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Yep, shell. I got the Horween logo on the inside of one of my tongues.

On 29 Oct 11 -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braughn View Post

If the Lindrick is shell cordovan why doesn't the product description say it is?


On 29 Oct 11 -
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

I think the price tells you that.

Good memory, m8. Gingko biloba?

If the A/W '12 - '13 brown Lindrick is indeed shell gotta wonder why the black calf fake Lindrick is the same price.
post #1560 of 5266
Thread Starter 
most people dont know of the difference between shell and calf. period. the guys at rl dont even know the difference. to them shell just means the brown one. some previous models made in brown and black:

tassel loafer
darlton wingtip
lindrick
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton, Gifford, Garran, Lindrick, McCallum, Rhett)