or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread - Page 65

post #961 of 2072
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlSarge View Post

Ooo, black white and grey with yellow and magenta accents . . . verrra nice, laddie.

Thank you OlSarge! The yellow and magenta are my favorite part of the jacket. Only a few threads here and there but I think it is very unique. With Harris Tweed being a very 'hand crafed process' Is this (random threads of color) intentional or have they made their way into the cloth by fluke?
post #962 of 2072

Oh, it's deliberate.  If you go on YouTube and look for Harris Tweed, there's a three part program by a British comic about tweed.  He loves the stuff as much as we do and sets off on an expedition to have one 'bespoke' made out custom fabric.  And it turns out to be both doable and no big deal.  Expensive, of course, but doable.  He went to the main Harris wool storehouse, picked out (with advice) the main, secondary and accent colors and then they were woven into twelve kilometers of thread.  The thread went to a weaver who made it up and then the customer drove back south to London and gave the cloth to h is tailor.  Three fittings later, voila'!  A three-piece suit made from a cloth that no one else has ever had.  Talk about custom?  Yeah, baby.

post #963 of 2072
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlSarge View Post

Oh, it's deliberate.  If you go on YouTube and look for Harris Tweed, there's a three part program by a British comic about tweed.  He loves the stuff as much as we do and sets off on an expedition to have one 'bespoke' made out custom fabric.  And it turns out to be both doable and no big deal.  Expensive, of course, but doable.  He went to the main Harris wool storehouse, picked out (with advice) the main, secondary and accent colors and then they were woven into twelve kilometers of thread.  The thread went to a weaver who made it up and then the customer drove back south to London and gave the cloth to h is tailor.  Three fittings later, voila'!  A three-piece suit made from a cloth that no one else has ever had.  Talk about custom?  Yeah, baby.

Great piece, thank you for referencing it. I'd already been considering a tweed jacket soon, despite living in San Diego ;)

 

This video certainly adds to my understanding of the process involved. What a wonderful tradition. Cheers.

post #964 of 2072
Cross post from the WAYWRN thread:


Tweed suit: Paul Stuart
Silk tie: Kiton
Macclesfield silk pocket square
Shoes: Bespoke Vass boxcalf Budapester
Shirt: Jos A Bank







post #965 of 2072

Sir, if you are an attorney I pity opposing counsel.  Well turned out, that man.

post #966 of 2072
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcritchlow View Post

Great piece, thank you for referencing it. I'd already been considering a tweed jacket soon, despite living in San Diego ;)

 

This video certainly adds to my understanding of the process involved. What a wonderful tradition. Cheers.

 

 

 

A twelve to fourteen ounce tweed jacket will be just the ticket for winter evening walks along the Embarcadero, around Shelter Island and along the beach in front of the Hotel del Coronado.  Cool weather and damp sea air cry for tweed.  A meershaum pipe wouldn't hurt, either, even if it's just for atmosphere.

post #967 of 2072
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlSarge View Post

 

 

A twelve to fourteen ounce tweed jacket will be just the ticket for winter evening walks along the Embarcadero, around Shelter Island and along the beach in front of the Hotel del Coronado.  Cool weather and damp sea air cry for tweed.  A meershaum pipe wouldn't hurt, either, even if it's just for atmosphere.

I like the way you think, OlSarge. And you're correct, of course. I just have to remember on these 80+ degree days in November that there will be those cool weather days again soon. However few there may be. I'm getting my first suit made at the moment by MyTailor. Assuming a positive result (I'm optimistic after the meeting with Joe), such a jacket may be the next commission. I'll certainly keep your recommendation of weight in mind, as it seems very sensible. 

post #968 of 2072

I like the Hemrajanis.  I've six shirts by them and just ordered a three-piece light navy herringbone with all the trimmings.  When you get ready to order the tweed, have a good look in the H. Bill fabric books.  There is a forest green herringbone in there and a blue donegal that just make my mouth water.

post #969 of 2072
On my drive to work today a basketweave and a dongal.



post #970 of 2072
From Thomas Mahon's English Cut blog (headed to one of my fellow San Franciscans!):

post #971 of 2072
When you going to pull the trigger?
post #972 of 2072

Kind of hacking jackety, isn't it?  I kind of like the combination of peak lapels and windowpane pattern.  Different.

post #973 of 2072
This one was new to me, I didn't know Mahon could go all Huntsman-like if the client only wants to. His MTM service is also promising.
post #974 of 2072
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRaivio View Post

This one was new to me, I didn't know Mahon could go all Huntsman-like if the client only wants to. His MTM service is also promising.

I'm willing to bet that it doesn't look very Huntsman-like on a human being.

Any tailor can give you wide peaked lapels.

Mahon will have drape in the chest and a softer shoulder line than Huntsman. Seems like any British tailor will do a nipped waist for a client who has a waist himself.
post #975 of 2072
Anyone know if a tweed basically like this exists in any books? This was a photo of an LL cloth that unfortunately was not made.

5397117623_93c057c601_b.jpg
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread