or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread - Page 161

post #2401 of 2408

Sometime in Feb I believe. Couldn't get over the fit and pattern matching at the last try on.

post #2402 of 2408
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderline View Post

Also looking for a lightweight, partially lined herringbone tweed sport coat. I had something from RL that had a weird fit, and now can't find anything else....Is it too much of a stretch given that tweeds are usually heavy and designed for Scottish winters or whatever?

Tbh I've settled on just having some lighter things adjusted to fit me better now, and the next one I'll have made will be a 550g blue donegal tweed. As that'll round my wardrobe better, even if I can't wear it for a few months!

I think partially lined lightweight tweed would be pretty versatile though. Often, it feels like the lining can be what stops you breathing properly.

I did see some Worsted Alsport and Lambswool tweed but never looked at any samples. I've had very lightweight lambswool before and I'm not sure I'd like to pay to have one made from something like that (just me).
post #2403 of 2408
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavideMiguel85 View Post

Tbh I've settled on just having some lighter things adjusted to fit me better now, and the next one I'll have made will be a 550g blue donegal tweed. As that'll round my wardrobe better, even if I can't wear it for a few months!

I think partially lined lightweight tweed would be pretty versatile though. Often, it feels like the lining can be what stops you breathing properly.

I did see some Worsted Alsport and Lambswool tweed but never looked at any samples. I've had very lightweight lambswool before and I'm not sure I'd like to pay to have one made from something like that (just me).

Yeah maybe there's not enough demand for this to have anything readily available off the rack.
post #2404 of 2408
I think most people (depending upon climate) would just keep tweed for autum/winter/spring and something much lighter for summer, like linen. An unlined tweed is quite niche. You might be able to find yourself a good lightweight OTR tweed jacket that you like (one of my favourites is a simple dark blue herringbone which is OTR and relatively light, but I don't know the exact weight of the fabric), and have the lining partially removed... But you'd have to see what your tailor thought. The inside can be a bit messy if it's fully lined and never intended to be 'on display'.



This is what I plan to have made next. Around 550g. A medium blue donegal. Will keep it quite simple, flap pockets, no ticket, 2 button, no elbow patches. But as it's warmed up now it can wait a little whilst I get other things sorted smile.gif
post #2405 of 2408
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavideMiguel85 View Post

I think most people (depending upon climate) would just keep tweed for autum/winter/spring and something much lighter for summer, like linen. An unlined tweed is quite niche. You might be able to find yourself a good lightweight OTR tweed jacket that you like (one of my favourites is a simple dark blue herringbone which is OTR and relatively light, but I don't know the exact weight of the fabric), and have the lining partially removed... But you'd have to see what your tailor thought. The inside can be a bit messy if it's fully lined and never intended to be 'on display'.



This is what I plan to have made next. Around 550g. A medium blue donegal. Will keep it quite simple, flap pockets, no ticket, 2 button, no elbow patches. But as it's warmed up now it can wait a little whilst I get other things sorted smile.gif

Nice tweed indeed. What weaver is this from? DL-

post #2406 of 2408

David, excuse my fabric & tweed naivety, I am a mere notice. When you say weaver, what do you mean? Do you simply mean who created it the fabric itself? 

 

If so, it is a Molloy & Sons Donegal. Beyond that, I am not sure. I haven't yet commissioned the piece but I'm pretty set on this fabric!

post #2407 of 2408
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavideMiguel85 View Post
 

David, excuse my fabric & tweed naivety, I am a mere notice. When you say weaver, what do you mean? Do you simply mean who created it the fabric itself? 

 

If so, it is a Molloy & Sons Donegal. Beyond that, I am not sure. I haven't yet commissioned the piece but I'm pretty set on this fabric!

That is all I needed. I am looking for a (not navy) blue donegal for a SC next season. I may have to consider this as an option. 

 

Thank you,

 

DL-

post #2408 of 2408

Great. That's part of why I liked it, didn't want a plain navy. Something a little richer and brighter, and with the donegal you get those lovely flecks as well.

 

I'm also considering this Harris tweed below (roughly the same weight). But I do prefer the donegal one above.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread