or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread - Page 105

post #1561 of 2051

Another one now on its way to me. Probably a 50s/60s era style? Donegal Tweed. 

 

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.M1


 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.M1

 

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.M1

 

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.M1

post #1562 of 2051
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post


eBay? Share your secrets!

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?57921-AAAC-Informal-Trad-Thrift-Store-Exchange/page879

post #1563 of 2051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvitz81 View Post

Another one now on its way to me. Probably a 50s/60s era style? Donegal Tweed. 

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.M1



  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.M1


Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.M1


Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.M1

Mid to late 1970's...and please undo that top & bottom button wink.gif
post #1564 of 2051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint View Post


Mid to late 1970's...and please undo that top & bottom button wink.gif

 

I will when wearing. Those are just pics from the eBay auction. 

post #1565 of 2051
post #1566 of 2051
Quote:

Even cartoon characters dressed well way-back-when.

post #1567 of 2051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewfoot View Post


Even cartoon characters dressed well way-back-when.

 

What a great fit. Must have a great tailor.

:worship:

post #1568 of 2051

Childhood origins of my own interest in tweed:

 

post #1569 of 2051
I liked "The Wind in the Willows."

post #1570 of 2051

I read it to a class of second graders.  The other teachers poo-poohed the idea saying that it was 'way over their heads.  Hah!  The little ones sat on the rug entranced, mouths opened and examined each picture in detail.  Great story.  Not only the original but the Disney cartoon and the BBC claymation version with Ian Carmichael.  They're all wonderful.

post #1571 of 2051

 

 

 

post #1572 of 2051
If one were to commission one's first tweed suit - most probably a three-piece - which patten/fabric should be recommended? The problem with tweed is that the range of patterns is bewildering and the strictures that usually obtain for business suits - and that make the choice of first business suits easier - don't apply.
post #1573 of 2051

The short answer is, use a pattern that you like! Herringbone and houndstooth are pretty uncontroversial patterns and would make a good first suit. Honking loud checks, like the Harris Tweed Tartans, are perhaps best left for when you feel more adventurous.

 

Some family-owned mills which make excellent, very reasonably priced tweeds without merchants' markups can be viewed below. I have garments made from each of their tweeds and I am very happy with them.

 

Islay Woollen Mill, Scotland http://www.islaywoollenmill.co.uk/

Trefriw Woollen Mill, Wales http://www.t-w-m.co.uk/

Molloy and Sons, Donegal, Ireland http://molloyandsons.com/

Isle of Harris, Harris Tweed, Scotland http://www.harristweedisleofharris.co.uk/index.php/aboutus

 

Enjoy! 


Edited by Simon A - 9/11/13 at 5:35am
post #1574 of 2051
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlSarge View Post

I read it to a class of second graders.  The other teachers poo-poohed the idea saying that it was 'way over their heads.  Hah!  The little ones sat on the rug entranced, mouths opened and examined each picture in detail.  Great story.  Not only the original but the Disney cartoon and the BBC claymation version with Ian Carmichael.  They're all wonderful.

I remember the claymation series. That was great. Another series with a lot of tweed in it was "All Creatures Great and Small." Apart from the fact that Siegfried Farnon's fly seems to have been damaged in the line of duty, this is a nice picture:

post #1575 of 2051

I am posting this:

 

http://www.scottishtweeds.co.uk/

 

 

because of this

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread