or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread - Page 101

post #1501 of 2029
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isbister View Post
 

Yes, I am referring to research that was carried out years ago concerning the complementarity of various fibres.

 

In essence, at a subatomic level, all fibres have their own electronic field. Similar fibres can be woven together without disturbing this field, whereas fabrics which blend unlike fibres having differing electronic fields disturb this pattern. This will manifest itself in the form of excessive wear, misalignment of fibres, and even a sensation of discomfort in the wearer of such fabrics.

 

It is not research that I personally was involved in, but I am prepared to accept the findings at face value as they happen to coincide with my own preconceptions - just as I am prepared to accept, without having personally investigated the matter, that the Earth is round and not flat. I do not wish to prevent others from experimenting with whatever mixtures of fibres they deem advisable, although my own advice would be to avoid combinations of natural fibres and synthetic substances, such as cotton and polyester.

 

I am unclear why you think I should not be giving advice to forum members - almost every other posting here seems to be giving advice on this or that, often with far less justification than I have just provided here. Finding my statements 'vague' or 'suspect' may not be a bad starting point, but by all means do your own investigations into the subject too and then you too may be able to contribute something to the discussion. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermynStreet View Post
 

 

You are referring to research that you have seen not that you have directly contributed to. In other words, you have no qualifications to come to the conclusions you profferedNow, if you had said that you read in X book that Y research was true, your conclusion might be somewhat justified.

 

Listen, I told you that is not personal, but I think giving advice on the basis of hearsay actually takes away from the conversation. If we are having a conversation about molecular biology, and someone comes in to the conversation and says "You know, I read that all anaerobic cells do not use the Krebs Cycle to generate energy," a little research would uncover that statement to be absolutely false. We could also agree that that statement would take away from the general scientific discourse, first, because it is false, second, because people have to correct the false statement, and third, and worst of all, people who are listening to you and taking your advice as fact now have false information. Likewise, because you have neither sufficiently explained the science behind what makes a "mongrel" fiber nor offered your own experience indicating that such fabric is indeed inferior, you literally have no basis on which to make that conclusion.

 

You say I take away from the conversation; let me ask you which is worse, making a definitive proclamation without basis to an impressionable group of people seeking answers, or questioning whether someone is indeed qualified to make a definitive statement on a topic.

 

The reason why I pointed this out is because this is often what happens on StyleForum. Incredible theories get started about different sartorial subjects and people offer their opinions on them-only they are not their opinions, the speakers are merely acting as proxies on behalf of original speakers. Just like we do not and should not allow hearsay in the court system, people should have either direct or expert knowledge before making a claim...especially when that claim is in response to a question asked, as is the case here. 

 

Lastly, your explanation is patently ridiculous. Your argument reads, in essence, 1.) all fibers have electronic fields at the atomic level, 2.) similar fabrics have similar electronic fields 3.) the components fibers of blended fabrics have have different electronic fields, 4.) blended fabrics' fields will disturb this pattern (pattern?! what pattern?!:facepalm: ), 5.) conclusion, therefore blended fabrics degrade faster.

 

If we are speaking chemistry here, you have neglected to explain about 50 necessary steps in the whole chemical reaction that could lead to this result and any high school debater would tear this logical sequence to bits. Contributions like this are a disservice to members on here who are genuinely seeking scientific or personal anecdotal answers. I would have had no problem if you had said, "I had a blended fabric coat, and it fell apart after 15 wears," but that's not what you said. You made a proclamation on the basis of reading something else...the science of which you have failed to prove that you can adequately explain and also cannot seem to cite. 

 

This applies to you, me, and anyone else on here, that unless you have direct or expert knowledge about a subject, you should not offer your advice.

 

Man, I love tweed!

post #1502 of 2029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willin View Post

Very commonly single vented or side vented?

Both. Nearly all of mine are double.
post #1503 of 2029
For new tweed jackets (not eBay etc) where can I get nice donegal tweed for under 250 or so. (If its possible)
post #1504 of 2029
Quote:
Originally Posted by JermynStreet View Post
 

 

You are referring to research that you have seen not that you have directly contributed to. In other words, you have no qualifications to come to the conclusions you profferedNow, if you had said that you read in X book that Y research was true, your conclusion might be somewhat justified.

 

Listen, I told you that is not personal, but I think giving advice on the basis of hearsay actually takes away from the conversation. ....

If we are speaking chemistry here, you have neglected to explain about 50 necessary steps in the whole chemical reaction that could lead to this result and any high school debater would tear this logical sequence to bits. Contributions like this are a disservice to members on here who are genuinely seeking scientific or personal anecdotal answers. I would have had no problem if you had said, "I had a blended fabric coat, and it fell apart after 15 wears," but that's not what you said. You made a proclamation on the basis of reading something else...the science of which you have failed to prove that you can adequately explain and also cannot seem to cite. 

 

This applies to you, me, and anyone else on here, that unless you have direct or expert knowledge about a subject, you should not offer your advice.

 

The phenomena I was attempting to explain, perhaps rather poorly - fibre degradation, discomfort, yellowing etc arising from injudicious fabric content - are quite widely reported and understood. I'm sorry that you seemed to find my explanation so lacking in persuasive force but invite you to google a few terms such as 'blended fabrics degrade' if you wish.

post #1505 of 2029
Interestingly, I just googled "blended fabrics degrade" and found nothing remotely relevant. It's all stuff about biodegradability of synthetic fabrics.

Isbister, I'm with Jermyn on this--just waving your hands and saying "theyre bad because SCIENCE! Oh, but I can't show you that science" is a pretty poor argument. Given that blended fabrics have been around forever, I'm very skeptical that there is some reason why combining fibers is bad.
post #1506 of 2029

^ Biodegradability and differential rates of wear or stress tolerance may be side issues for some people, but it is perhaps something you might want to bear in mind. For anyone who prefers to shuffle around in trousers that have become alternately scratchy and shiny, or that spark and crackle from the presence of synthetic fibres in the fabric, don't let me spoil your party.

post #1507 of 2029
??

No one is advocating wearing synthetic fabrics...
post #1508 of 2029
Quote:
Lastly, your explanation is patently ridiculous. Your argument reads, in essence, 1.) all fibers have electronic fields at the atomic level, 2.) similar fabrics have similar electronic fields 3.) the components fibers of blended fabrics have have different electronic fields, 4.) blended fabrics' fields will disturb this pattern (pattern?! what pattern?!facepalm.gif ), 5.) conclusion, therefore blended fabrics degrade faster.

I agree with the following:
1.) all fibers have electronic fields at the atomic level
2.) similar fabrics have similar electronic fields

Mostly because all atoms have (1) and (2) is vague enough to be true depending on the definition of "similar".
post #1509 of 2029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isbister View Post

^ Biodegradability and differential rates of wear or stress tolerance may be side issues for some people, but it is perhaps something you might want to bear in mind. For anyone who prefers to shuffle around in trousers that have become alternately scratchy and shiny, or that spark and crackle from the presence of synthetic fibres in the fabric, don't let me spoil your party.
Sparky crackle panty are fun party pants. Why do you judge us?
post #1510 of 2029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Squirrel View Post


Sparky crackle panty are fun party pants. Why do you judge us?

 

Judge? Last thing I would dream of doing ...

post #1511 of 2029
I am still waiting for an answer to my question: Is this like directional audio cable or using green Sharpies to decrease error rates for CDs?
post #1512 of 2029
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

I am still waiting for an answer to my question: Is this like directional audio cable or using green Sharpies to decrease error rates for CDs?

 

I'm not the speaking clock tell-me-my-weight machine.

post #1513 of 2029
Random Tumblr image to remind us of when there was tweed in this thread:

post #1514 of 2029
Fewer pics.

More electron microscopes.
post #1515 of 2029
Not my size, but I love the colo(u)rs.



New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread