or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread - Page 88

post #1306 of 2281
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Personally, I dont find that particularly versatile and would prefer a herringbone, but I know there are some who will disagree. IIRC, Slewfoot has a jacket made up in that fabric that he likes.

When you say "versatile" do you mean from a colour coordination point of view or wearable in more situations (or both)?
post #1307 of 2281

Well, I don't know what Aravenal means but I would agree that a grey herringbone is a better neutral ground for putting together with almost anything.  As it happens, I actually don't have a grey herringbone and do have a brown houndstooth.  I love my houndstooth because of the complete 'shooting jacket' features it has.  However, before next cool season, I will definitely have either a grey or a blue herringbone because so much of my wardrobe is slanted toward the 'winter' coloration.
 

post #1308 of 2281
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan'l View Post

Color me confused, but is there a general consensus on which is more versatile (all other factors being equal), tweed in a houndstooth or a herringbone pattern? I've been looking for a brown houndstooth but see a lot more brown herringbone available.

If I had to choose between herringbone and houndstooth as my only tweed jacket I will take the former. Herringbone pattern is more subtle it will blend in easily with most odd pants especially in brown.
post #1309 of 2281
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchoy View Post

If I had to choose between herringbone and houndstooth as my only tweed jacket I will take the former. Herringbone pattern is more subtle it will blend in easily with most odd pants especially in brown.

I would concur
post #1310 of 2281
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlSarge View Post

Well, I don't know what Aravenal means but I would agree that a grey herringbone is a better neutral ground for putting together with almost anything.  As it happens, I actually don't have a grey herringbone and do have a brown houndstooth.  I love my houndstooth because of the complete 'shooting jacket' features it has.  However, before next cool season, I will definitely have either a grey or a blue herringbone because so much of my wardrobe is slanted toward the 'winter' coloration.

 


OlSarge, I have just added lots more herringbone jackets in grey and blues with many more to be added this week ....and some very nice checks wink.gif
post #1311 of 2281


Harris Tweed, Southwick for Haberdash
post #1312 of 2281
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoManualOfStyle View Post


Harris Tweed, Southwick for Haberdash


Thats a very nice bold check smile.gif
post #1313 of 2281

I think I must sadly relate some problems I am having with Bookster for the forum. I've bought 4 tweed garments off Bookster over the past 3-4 years, and been very happy. But I placed a substantial order for a MTM tweed 3 piece back at the end of August '12. I left it a few months (they have always been at least 3 months, not the 6-8 weeks as advertised) then had to start chasing : Dec,Jan,Feb... the stock reply was "we havn't forgotten". Come March I chased again, only to find they HAD forgotten, and it was still not even started. So I despaired and I cancelled. Now, despite similar assurances, my refund is still not forthcoming. Latest state of play is " a refund cheque is in the post"... been in the post for 10 days now, even Royal Mail isn't that slow :/

 

Sad really, I have been an evangalist for Bookster ever since they did my first garment, which like all the others made by them subsequently is excellent. Just a shame their customer management is so poor. Has anyone suffered similar problems from Bookster recently or am I alone?

post #1314 of 2281
I find Bookster's communication to be abysmal. I have two jackets in the works, and I dread having to ask them a question, as it means having to chase down a reply. I'm afraid I won't be going back to them in the future, no matter how well the jackets turn out, as I can't abide by this.
post #1315 of 2281

 So what is the main reason for people to stop wearing tweed every year?

 

 Is it the weather that turns too warm or is it the fact that moths will start coming out and attack the wool jackets?

 

 Still wearing some of my tweed jackets for the time being. biggrin.gif

post #1316 of 2281
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbdeng4 View Post

I was never all that interested in tweed but it's still pretty chilly here in Northern California and I found this for cheap at a local thrift store..how does this look?

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Be brutal!


 I think that looks pretty good except for the sleeves being too long. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

post #1317 of 2281

Here in SoCal we are coming to the end of the tweed season.  We don't get moths but we do get hot and even the lightest of true tweed is simply to warm to wear.  So we send then in for their annual cleaning and put them away until Autumn.
 

post #1318 of 2281
Quote:
Originally Posted by FillW View Post

 So what is the main reason for people to stop wearing tweed every year?

 Is it the weather that turns too warm or is it the fact that moths will start coming out and attack the wool jackets?

 Still wearing some of my tweed jackets for the time being. biggrin.gif

You mean like for the season? Because it gets warm outside, and tweed is quite warm wearing... I don't think moths have anything to do with it--it's just that wearing a 14 oz shaggy Harris Tweed is about the last thing I want to do when it is 90 degrees and humid outside.
post #1319 of 2281

 I've been wearing a couple of light brown tweed jackets I have at work this week and other guys have said they think they look really good on me. Even people I wouldn't expect to say something like that.

 

 They keep it cold where I work so I should be able to keep wearing them but I guess I won't be able to go outside with them on in a few weeks.

post #1320 of 2281
Soon it will be too hot for tweed here. Summer icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread