or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Morbidly Obese in the Public Eye, Is It Possible to Look Professional?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Morbidly Obese in the Public Eye, Is It Possible to Look Professional? - Page 7

post #91 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post

ok, I get what you are saying but I have to smile - I haven't eaten 3500 calories a day in years. I spent a lot of my time trying to keep below 1200 calories a day when I'm not traveling.

Unless you're a teenage girl 1200 calories is dangerous. Honestly talk to a doctor/dietican/somebody.
post #92 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola View Post

Unless you're a teenage girl 1200 calories is dangerous. Honestly talk to a doctor/dietican/somebody.

I can go 2 weeks on 1200 calories a day, running 4 miles every other day and lifting every other day. and, yes, I have worked with a dietitian and a doctor.




look, I'm going to pull out of this thread - but the basic message is that I think most of you, and possibly all of you, are grossly underestimating the work involved in loosing the type of weight that we are talking about, while managing a family and a career.

somebody mentioned the biggest losers - well, they take months off of work, and have almost one on one personal trainers and a whole staff to support them, and don't have any family responsiblies. on top of that, the producers of the show select people who are very likely to succeed.


it is definatly possible to lose the weight, and people should stay fat, I'mm not arguing that, but the idea that if you eat a little less bread you are going to go from 400 pounds to 160 pounds, while running the state of new jersey, is not very realistic.
post #93 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter View Post

the idea that if you eat a little less bread you are going to go from 400 pounds to 160 pounds, while running the state of new jersey, is not very realistic.

I don't think anyone was arguing that. It doesn't help the discussion if you turn everything anyone says into a caricature. In any case, I'm pulling out too, since this is a clothing forum, not a diet forum.
post #94 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

It's pretty difficult to eat 1 lb of butter by itself. Much of the calories in ice cream comes from sugar.

You've never been on a polar expedition.

Thanks for the discussion guys it was informative.
post #95 of 115
He should quit, work on losing the weight and then come back.
post #96 of 115
It looks like he has made his decision. After reviewing this thread I'm sure.
post #97 of 115

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-30/requiem-for-a-governor-before-he-s-in-the-ring-michael-kinsley.html

 

 

Quote:
Look, I’m sorry, but New Jersey Governor Chris Christie cannot be president: He is just too fat. Maybe, if he runs for president and we get to know him, we will overlook this awkward issue because we are so impressed with the way he stands up to teachers’ unions. But we shouldn’t overlook it -- unless he goes on a diet and shows he can stick to it.

 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/post/christies-weight-is-irrelevant/2011/03/29/gIQAbkeDDL_blog.html

 

 

Quote:
Let me first observe the gross hypocrisy at work here. President Obama smokes. While in office Bill Clinton was overweight and had high cholesterol. I never heard any of these folks raise a peep. So long as there was no evidence that they could not fulfill their duties over the course of their term, liberals (being nonjudgmental in all things except the behavior of conservatives) didn’t seem to mind. (I suppose they’d have insisted that Winston Churchill stay in the wilderness with that smelly cigar?)

 

 

http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/culturegabfest/2011/10/prohibition_ikea_and_chris_christie_s_weight_on_this_week_s_cult.html

 

 

Quote:
Listen to Slate's show about the new Ken Burns documentary Prohibition, Ikea, and the corpulence of Chris Christie.

 

post #98 of 115

I am a fat guy - height is 5'7 and I used to weigh 245 pounds. One of the main reasons I wanted to lose weight so I could dress better - I am now down to 205 and it definitely feels easier to dress. People have told me that I don't look as bad now when wearing dress pants and tucked in shirts. As Christie's pics show the middle bulge looks awful. I am hoping to lose another 25-30 at least. 

post #99 of 115
i have been thinking of posting a thread for input on the weight range that desirable for looking good in clothes. I was 218 and am now cruising through 205 and trying to decide where to level off (6 foot tall). I am probably also averaging 1200 to 1500 cal/day, and expend approximately 3000 cal per day according to the calculators when I include 5 mi/day of running. (its actually not all that hard, oatmeal and egg beaters for breakfast, 3 cups of tomato salad for lunch with soup, smaller dinner portions, and nonfat pudding for dessert) Although guys like spoo look great with a very lean profile, I'm not sure thats entirely necessary. I am currently going on the theory that if I get down to a flat stomach, then clothes will look pretty decent on me, but your input would be much appreciated. I am not asking about health benefits here, just looking good in clothes. Thanks
Edited by PTWilliams - 10/5/11 at 10:01pm
post #100 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTWilliams View Post

i have been thinking of posting a thread for input on the weight range that desirable for looking good in clothes. I was 218 and am now cruising through 205 and trying to decide where to level off (6 foot tall). I am probably also averaging 1200 to 1500 cal/day, and expend approximately 3000 cal per day according to the calculators when I include 5 mi/day of running. (its actually not all that hard, oatmeal and egg beaters for breakfast, 3 cups of tomato salad for lunch with soup, smaller dinner portions, and nonfat pudding for dessert) Although guys like spoo look great with a very lean profile, I'm not sure thats entirely necessary. I am currently going on the theory that if I get down to a flat stomach, then clothes will look pretty decent on me, but your input would be much appreciated. I am not asking about health benefits here, just looking good in clothes. Thanks

We've met at Bay Area Meet-Ups. Clothes already look pretty decent on you. I had no idea that you were carrying that much weight.
Re: flat stomach. After a certain age, depending on the person, it gets very hard to maintain the physique you had years before.
I used to run 20- 30 miles a week. I had to stop more than 10 years ago due to disc problems (probably from running) I've put on
10-12 lbs,. If I lost that much I doubt that I would be able to fit into the clothes I wore 10+ years ago.
post #101 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTWilliams View Post

i have been thinking of posting a thread for input on the weight range that desirable for looking good in clothes. I am currently going on the theory that if I get down to a flat stomach, then clothes will look pretty decent on me, but your input would be much appreciated.

It's not about weight. Your build will matter. How you store your fat will matter. You could take ten guys all the same weight and height and they could easily look quite differently. Honestly just use the mirror. OTOH if you're going for a truely flat stomach you're going to find the weight is much lower then you think. If you're unlucky enough to store weight in the midsection it'll be even lower.
post #102 of 115
5'9" 155lbs. You may add or subtract 10 lb per inch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola View Post

It's not about weight. Your build will matter. How you store your fat will matter. You could take ten guys all the same weight and height and they could easily look quite differently. Honestly just use the mirror. OTOH if you're going for a truely flat stomach you're going to find the weight is much lower then you think. If you're unlucky enough to store weight in the midsection it'll be even lower.
I am fortunate that I store weight in my genitals.
post #103 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJ View Post

5'9" 155lbs. You may add or subtract 10 lb per inch.
I am fortunate that I store weight in my genitals.

And you only add 10lbs per inch? I guess some guys are skinny shog[1].gif
post #104 of 115
Me...2 years ago at 270 lbs. and a 44" waist.

344



Me... day before yesterday at 165 lbs. and 5' 9" wearing 30" waist pants.

467


"Take Shape For Life" featuring Medifast products and I was bad. Very little exercising. I lost 100 lbs. in 6 months. It was stupid easy compared to ANYTHING (diet, exercise, phen-fen) that I had ever tried previously. I eat a "meal" every 3 hours (bars, bags of pretzels, stew, oatmeal, etc) and one good sized salad with chicken strips daily. No counting calories (totals up to around 1000 to 1200/day) or points or anything. I just make sure that I eat every 3 hours. Make no mistake, a true commitment is involved and I do suffer from cravings occasionally. I fall off the wagon for a couple of days but so far, I climb back on every time.

My doctor has followed me every step of the way and has removed me from two blood pressure meds and something else that I have since forgotten.

My stress is of the everyday life variety and yes, it would have been more difficult if someone was shoving a buffet dinner/rubber chicken banquet at me several times a week.

Here's a before and after from 2010. Wife led the way and I just followed her.


These photos are 1 year apart but we started about 3 months after the BEFORE photo.
293
Edited by Digmenow - 10/6/11 at 4:32am
post #105 of 115

Put on the jacket to look more professional. There are thousands of obese people, it is about dressing well regardless of your weight.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Morbidly Obese in the Public Eye, Is It Possible to Look Professional?