or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › New York restaurant adds 18% service charge for Indians because they don't tip.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New York restaurant adds 18% service charge for Indians because they don't tip.

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 
No word on how they treat Canadians.


http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/queens/restaurant_imposes_ethnic_tips_suit_X3zcz6Zc8DhbgOBmsOdQkI?utm_campaign=OutbrainA&utm_source=OutbrainArticlepages&obref=obinsource
Quote:
Restaurant imposes ‘ethnic’ tips: suit
By BRUCE GOLDING
Last Updated: 3:07 AM, September 13, 2011
Posted: 1:57 AM, September 13, 2011

This Indian dinner allegedly came with an extra-large helping of discrimin-ation and a side of assault.
Two patrons filed suit against the Baluchi’s restaurant chain yesterday over claims that their bill was illegally padded with an “automatic” 18 percent gratuity reserved for South Asian customers.
Abe Shah and Hema Virani also charge that they were physically attacked by a worker after leaving Baluchi’s eatery in Forest Hills, Queens, without paying the alleged ethnic surcharge.
The Brooklyn federal court suit seeks unspecified damages over what the duo’s lawyer, Denise Shulman, called the “shameful and appalling” incident.
According to court papers, Shah, who is of Pakistani descent, and Virani, who is Indian, were slapped with the mandatory gratuity when they got their check on May 12.
Shah demanded to speak with the manager, who admitted that the restaurant added the charge for “Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi customers because ‘they never tip,’ ” the suit says.
A woman who answered the restaurant’s phone last night said no one was available to comment.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/queens/restaurant_imposes_ethnic_tips_suit_X3zcz6Zc8DhbgOBmsOdQkI#ixzz1ZAc4G
ECe
post #2 of 34
soooo they still didn't tip? confused.gif
post #3 of 34
Thread Starter 
Apparently, they were too indignant to. I'm sure it can be deducted from the settlement.
post #4 of 34
Cheap basterds.
post #5 of 34
So, when can I bring up black people and how they don't tip?




Now? Cool.
post #6 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

So, when can I bring up black people and how they don't tip?


Now? Cool.

Have you ever worked in hospitality?
post #7 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan View Post


Have you ever worked in hospitality?

Hell no! Are you nuts? icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #8 of 34
Thread Starter 
Well, you should know the worst tippers are called "Canadians".
post #9 of 34
Seriously?

I bet Fuuma just leaves ashes in the check book and considers the waiter lucky to receive it.
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

So, when can I bring up black people and how they don't tip?
Now? Cool.

 

Racist ass dudes on this forum huh? Where's the hate towards blacks on this site coming from? This isn't the first instance.
 

I tip 30% on everything, man. Haircuts, dinners, anything that has a gratuity/tip line. And I got the habit from my dad.

Maybe some HOOD and GHETTO black people, or people in general, don't tip well, but you can't make a generalization.

People like you are the reason we still see color. Sad.

post #11 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacKidLA View Post

 

Racist ass dudes on this forum huh? Where's the hate towards blacks on this site coming from? This isn't the first instance. 


There is an inverse relationship between generosity of tips and how evil a group of people is, which is why white men tip the most. Fight the power.
post #12 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacKidLA View Post

 

Racist ass dudes on this forum huh? Where's the hate towards blacks on this site coming from? This isn't the first instance. 

I tip 30% on everything, man. Haircuts, dinners, anything that has a gratuity/tip line. And I got the habit from my dad.

Maybe some HOOD and GHETTO black people, or people in general, don't tip well, but you can't make a generalization.

People like you are the reason we still see color. Sad.


Did you really just pull the "seeing color" card? Are you actually implying that you don't see color? laugh.gif I thought only old white people trotted out that delusional shit.

And saying "you can't make a generalization" right before you say "people like you"? Classic. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan View Post


Did you really just pull the "seeing color" card? Are you actually implying that you don't see color? laugh.gif I thought only old white people trotted out that delusional shit.
And saying "you can't make a generalization" right before you say "people like you"? Classic. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif


Actually, I don't see color. I think everyone should be given a chance to prove themselves regardless of color, and I give people that chance. If you feed into the stereotype, then so be it.

 

And I didn't make a generalization, he just proved that he buys into stereotypes. So yes, PEOPLE LIKE HIM are the reason WE CAN'T GET PAST COLOR. 

post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacKidLA View Post

Actually, I don't see color. I think everyone should be given a chance to prove themselves regardless of color, and I give people that chance. If you feed into the stereotype, then so be it.

 

And I didn't make a generalization, he just proved that he buys into stereotypes. So yes, PEOPLE LIKE HIM are the reason WE CAN'T GET PAST COLOR. 


Quality comeback playa
post #15 of 34
So one is expected to pay a fifth of the bill AS A TIP?!
They'd have to impose it on not only "Indians" if I visited the home of the free.
Go, America, Go!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › New York restaurant adds 18% service charge for Indians because they don't tip.