or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Rock hard leather inner and outer soles can beat your poor feet to a pulp. Here's what I do....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rock hard leather inner and outer soles can beat your poor feet to a pulp. Here's what I do.... - Page 2

post #16 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevolving View Post

DWFII, it's simply a matter of basic physics. A first grader can understand this, if he allows himself to remove his bias. It's not about the brand. Compare the density & hardness of hard cured leather inside an AE or any quality shoe (The shoes in question are $800 C&J Darlton/Marlow's, but apply to ALL high end ($500+) leather soles I own... vs. a fluffy soft sneaker insole (Or a padded insole of a Johnston & Murphy shoe. It's like walking on air, literally) If you have veritable rocks under your feet, a minor fit issue does not trump the obvious and blatant difference in materials involved.

comfort is subjective you mook. Walking on a hard surface that is molded to your foot can be as comfortable as walking on a pillow. Not to mention, having good structure and support is the most important for overall body comfort.
post #17 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

you, as a runner, should know that soft is not always the most comfortable nor the best for your feet/body.



Thanks for telling me what I 'should' know. I suspect, however, that I have rather more experience than you in this area. And please don't try to drag me into your personal grudge match with Reevolving simply because I recognise that he has a point on this particular issue. .

 

 

post #18 of 131
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post


comfort is subjective you mook. Walking on a hard surface that is molded to your foot can be as comfortable as walking on a pillow. Not to mention, having good structure and support is the most important for overall body comfort.

If it's subjective, then what's your point, troll?
MY feet were beat to shit after wearing my rock solid $800 shoes today, despite the heel inserts.
Hard leather heels + Hard leather outers + Hard leather inners + Gel inserts = pain after 7 hours.
If it's subjective, your mileage may vary.

You can have all the damn "structure" you want.
Doesn't change the simple 1st grade observation that leather soles are hard as fuck, to put it bluntly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

Walking on a hard surface that is molded to your foot can be as comfortable as walking on a pillow.

Right, a pillow.
You keep telling yourself that.
post #19 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevolving View Post

There is simply nothing soft about leather dress shoes. They crush your feet after a few hours. Period. I don't know a single person who thinks dress shoes are comfortable. The only nutjobs who push this are a handful of delusional mental patients on SF .... ("They are like slippers!")

Count me as a delusional nutjob, but allow me to ask if you have ever worn Edward Greens?
post #20 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevolving View Post

DWFII, thanks for your reply. However, it's simply a matter of basic physics. A small child can even understand this, if he allows himself to remove his bias.

First, it's not about the brand. Compare the density & hardness of ANY hard cured leather inside an AE or ANY quality shoe (The shoes in question are $800 C&J Darlton/Marlo

I think you are the one with the bias. What kinds of surfaces do you think our ancestors evolved to walk on...run on? The answer is dern sure not neoprene. Dirt, hard packed in most cases. Rock. Gravel. And only rarely daily watered golf courses.

I know a little about leather and leather insoles. Some leathers are harder than others...period. The better quality insole leathers will not be rock hard...period.

Whats more, at the price point you quote, the chances approach certainty that they are GY welted and that means that the insoles have at least an eighth inch of cork between the insole and the outsole. Is this a case of "the Princess and the Pea?"

You may not like leather shoes...fair enough. But I suspect you haven't thought this through or that you know just enough about shoemaking and leather to be dangerous.

PS...hides are "cured" with salt to become "raw hide.' Raw hide is not leather. Leather is "tanned."

PPS...99.9% of women's shoes...at any price point...have fiberboard insoles.

PPSS...bias only develops when you don't know what you're talking about. We're all born ignorant but staying ignorant is stupidity.

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov, column in Newsweek (21 January 1980)
post #21 of 131
One further comment...I really do sympathize with you...your whole attitude comes across as someone who has had aching feet all day long...for weeks and weeks. It would seem to me that the obvious answer is to wear running shoes, if you can't handle leather shoes.

But with all due respect, the very fact that many, many people wear leather shoes and never experience the discomfort you cite...don't agree with your extreme hyperbole...ought to move you to question both your assumptions and your conclusions.

That you feel pain is not at issue here. No one doubts that.

Your categorization of leather and leather shoes, however, is suspect at best.
post #22 of 131
Put rubber sole protectors on or buy bespoke shoes with rubber soles. Darltons are pretty bad shoes with non-existent heel pocket that is constantly slipping and super-tough soles that woudl not develop hinge in 20 wears. The fact that they are made of extra-thick shell does not help the issue. Darltons are hands down the most uncomfortable shoes that I still own.
post #23 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post


I think you are the one with the bias. What kinds of surfaces do you think our ancestors evolved to walk on...run on? The answer is dern sure not neoprene. Dirt, hard packed in most cases. Rock. Gravel. And only rarely daily watered golf courses.

+1. My leather-soled shoes are more comfortable than my sneakers. Soft != comfortable, at least for more than 30 mins of wear.

You have to be meticulous with getting a perfect fit though.
post #24 of 131
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

What kinds of surfaces do you think our ancestors evolved to walk on...run on? The answer is dern sure not neoprene. Dirt, hard packed in most cases. Rock. Gravel.

Yes, and they also died at 25.
Life was nasty, brutish, and short.
Give me the neoprene any day of the week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

. Some leathers are harder than others...period. The better quality insole leathers will not be rock hard...period.

Well, I have classic Florshiem's, Vass, C&J, and several pairs of Allen Edmonds.
ALL destroy my feet after a full day. Without exception. Only those with a rubber sole (or heel) are more forgiving.
I guess one needs to either drop down to the $100 Johnston and Murphy range
(Heavenly insoles. TOPS in the industry, bar none, unless you're a brainwashed groupthink SF labelwhore)
or the mythical $1000+ range to get a comfortable pair of shoes. (I wouldn't bet my money on that, however)
For me, I will stick to $10 gels to make do with my shoddy collection of shoes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov, column in Newsweek (21 January 1980)
[/quote]

LOL. Like I said, it's 1st grade physics.
Hard leather is way forgiving than puffy soft cloth and rubber padding.
Ignorance, indeed. (Or just plain bullshit of the most brazen caliber)
[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

It would seem to me that the obvious answer is to wear running shoes, if you can't handle leather shoes.

Ok, NOW we're getting somewhere. Yes, I certainly can't handle wearing leather soles. They are hard as shit on every shoe I own. Looking fabulous is what it's all about, but my feet need a vacation from all this leather soled glamour! Even the ladies can't wear their brutal heels EVERY day. I will be shifting to my workhorse J&M's for the next few days. Thank GOD for $100 shoes with rubber soles and padded inner. Real footwear. Not impractical decorations. Just like high heels. In fact, maybe I should carry a 2nd pair of shoes in my manpurse, just like the smart women do.
post #25 of 131
Honestly if you can fit one of those gel insoles in your shoes they were probably too big to begin with. hence the fit issues.
post #26 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post


It's hardly asinine, it's a real issue.


only, if they are not fitted, imo.
post #27 of 131
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

Honestly if you can fit one of those gel insoles in your shoes they were probably too big to begin with. hence the fit issues.

Good point, but these are the very smallest and thinnest heel gels.
http://www.amazon.com/Scholls-Massaging-Heel-Cushions-Womens/dp/B00099E8W8
They are from the women's section, in fact. (flame on, trolls)
They are not like the big footlong inserts you need to cut to size.
Those kind do not fit in my shoes, like you said.

Regardless, I've already addressed the mythical fit issue.
I bet I could drive a nail with the insoles, if the shoe were somehow turned inside out.
Take your pick: Vass AE C&J Florsheim. All could drive a nail, I bet.
Edited by Reevolving - 9/26/11 at 7:28pm
post #28 of 131
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwed View Post

Put rubber sole protectors on or buy bespoke shoes with rubber soles. Darltons are pretty bad shoes with non-existent heel pocket that is constantly slipping and super-tough soles that woudl not develop hinge in 20 wears. The fact that they are made of extra-thick shell does not help the issue. Darltons are hands down the most uncomfortable shoes that I still own.

Ok, some actual reality & facts. Thanks. The shoes do feel bulletproof and thick. I love them. I can tell they're going to last forever.
The fact that I can only endure wearing them perhaps twice a week should make them last a solid 20 years.
So, your soles never broke in? Is that b/c you gave up on them? I love how these shoes look.
I can pay the price of looking fabulous, and if that means feet that are beat to shit, so be it !
I will break these in, esp, considering that they are $800 shoes. I don't give up that easily !

Quote:
Originally Posted by well-kept View Post

Count me as a delusional nutjob, but allow me to ask if you have ever worn Edward Greens?

No, I have not. Do they have padded insoles like Johnston and Murphy?
(the most comfortable shoe in my collection, bar none (Vass/AE/C&J/Florsheim/Cheaney)
post #29 of 131
meh, they're comfortable for me so i guess all i can say is i'm sorry for your situation.

If finances allowed i'd suggest trying bespoke. As we have a similar collection and i feel no discomfort, it is likely an issue of fit.
post #30 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

meh, they're comfortable for me so i guess all i can say is i'm sorry for your situation.

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

If finances allowed i'd suggest trying bespoke. As we have a similar collection and i feel no discomfort, it is likely an issue of fit.

this

imo, bespoke wouldn't help as he hasn''t comprehended the concept of shoes and their fit, yet.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Rock hard leather inner and outer soles can beat your poor feet to a pulp. Here's what I do....