or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Have you ever had an occasion where SF mentality/attitude/uniform etc. been a detriment for you?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Have you ever had an occasion where SF mentality/attitude/uniform etc. been a detriment for you? - Page 11

post #151 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDiaz View Post

Last time I wore a SC for going out at night I got robbed, and on top of that a friend told me that I didn't score at all because everyone thought I looked like an old man (blue blazer, jeans and white shirt with top 2 buttons undone, how on earth is that old mannish?). I had to go back to baggy cargos and hoodie for going out. lol8%5B1%5D.gif

If you were in a nice jacket or suit, robbers think you're loaded...

Old stereotypes are difficult to die..
Edited by lasbar - 11/13/12 at 10:53am
post #152 of 180
So when going out everybody suits up and SF should suit down? biggrin.gif
post #153 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis XIV View Post

So when going out everybody suits up and SF should suit down? biggrin.gif

Sounds about right....
post #154 of 180

Why would it be detrimental? I don't go around shxtting on people and looking down on them because they don't care about showing a little cuff. I'd guess that most of the users here are a lot more critical of and outspoken about the pictures that they see here than they are in real life situations. I know that I am. I'd say that if this site has been detrimental to your real life, then you take this too seriously, and you need to reconnct with reality. Then again, I'm not a "hardcore" member.

post #155 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post

Why would it be detrimental? I don't go around shxtting on people and looking down on them because they don't care about showing a little cuff. I'd guess that most of the users here are a lot more critical of and outspoken about the pictures that they see here than they are in real life situations. I know that I am. I'd say that if this site has been detrimental to your real life, then you take this too seriously. Then again, I'm not a "hardcore" member.

You made a very valid point...

I can be critical of certain outfits posted here when in real life,I barely pay attention at the clothes worn around me...

I tend only to notice terrible and great outfits..

You stand more chance being hustled /robbed if you wearing a great suit thsn s hoodie..

On the other hand, you have more chance being arrested or stop search if you have a hoodie on..

Can't win either way.
post #156 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis XIV View Post

So when going out everybody suits up and SF should suit down? biggrin.gif

 

I don't know about your place, but people here only dress up for new years eve. You could even wear a tux at a non-black tie party and no one would say anything lol8[1].gif

post #157 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDiaz View Post

Last time I wore a SC for going out at night I got robbed, and on top of that a friend told me that I didn't score at all because everyone thought I looked like an old man (blue blazer, jeans and white shirt with top 2 buttons undone, how on earth is that old mannish?). I had to go back to baggy cargos and hoodie for going out. lol8%5B1%5D.gif

get new friends and go to new places. foo.gif
post #158 of 180
Buy a nice leather and have it both ways. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #159 of 180

Here in Mexico, people that normally wear a suit or some business outfit are called "Godinez". This is mainly becuase most of the people hate to wear a suit and they buy a cheap suit that doesn´t fit, they use a mix of colours that are harmful to the eye, they use suits with drivers shoes, tie knots horribly made, I bet that if some of them uploaded some pics to the forum, most of you will be feeling sick of what you are watching haha. So when someone dares to call me a "Godinez"... I kinda explode hehehe.

 

Also a few monts ago I was kinda dating a girl, and one day I told her that the tailor came to visit me so he can adjust some shirts and jackets. She laughed because of that and told me that she didn't like to see guys in a suit... I love to wear a suit or jacket, so I stopped talking to her... and I'm still single hahahaha.

post #160 of 180
I can never shop in person after SF.

There was this one occasion my friend asked me advice for what shoes to get. I asked him his budget, he said $150-200 and I said "sorry I don't know anything around that range" and immediately realized what a douche I sounded like.
post #161 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbar View Post

You made a very valid point...
I can be critical of certain outfits posted here when in real life,I barely pay attention at the clothes worn around me...

I most certainly pay attention to what others around me are wearing, and I can be rather judgmental - but only in my mind, I would never comment on it the way I would comment on something posted in, say, the WAYWT thread where people post specifically to get comments and feedback.
post #162 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastyle View Post

I get more compliments from guys than the ladies frown.gif. This is of course hilarious to my friends who claim I am gay for not dressing like a total slob.


Same here. I don't remember ever getting a compliment from a female stranger. Men often do compliment my style, particularly when I have a moustache.

 

This is Finland though. A collared shirt, jeans with no holes and clean sneakers will put you on the top 5% best dressed person list in most situations. Just wearing a tie

in a bar often gets you some compliments.

post #163 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingson View Post

I most certainly pay attention to what others around me are wearing, and I can be rather judgmental - but only in my mind, I would never comment on it the way I would comment on something posted in, say, the WAYWT thread where people post specifically to get comments and feedback.

I'm in my forties..

A few moons ago,I was really bothered by such issues ,sometimes stereotyping people accordingly to their clothing...

Now,I tend to notice only extremes and to be fair,It doesn't affect as much my judgement on that particular person..

You can be a twat in skinny jeans or in a Savile Row's suit..
post #164 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbar View Post

I'm in my forties..
A few moons ago,I was really bothered by such issues ,sometimes stereotyping people accordingly to their clothing...
Now,I tend to notice only extremes and to be fair,It doesn't affect as much my judgement on that particular person..
You can be a twat in skinny jeans or in a Savile Row's suit..

Well, I am generally not bothered by what other people wear. I'm perfectly happy wearing what I like and I think others should be allowed to be too. That doesn't mean I'm not having internal discussions with myself along the lines of "what on Earth is that guy wearing...."
post #165 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingson View Post

Well, I am generally not bothered by what other people wear. I'm perfectly happy wearing what I like and I think others should be allowed to be too. That doesn't mean I'm not having internal discussions with myself along the lines of "what on Earth is that guy wearing...."

It's easier now to feel comfortable wearing clothes according to my own tastes than in my youth for obvious peer pressure issues and desire to be accepted..

When you feel comfortable wearing what you really like,it is the clothing's nirvana..

I have just seen an obese teen wearing a miniskirt and I loled.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Have you ever had an occasion where SF mentality/attitude/uniform etc. been a detriment for you?