Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sportcoat Fit question Last post on 9/14/11 at 5:50pm in Classic Menswear
- Allowances for alterations to tailored clothing Last post on 6/17/13 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
- Hickey by Hickey Freeman on Gilt, $400... worth it? Last post on 9/26/11 at 10:06am in Classic Menswear
- 6/29 Hermes Linen Coat,Alden 9.5, BB Suit,STEALTHEM Paul Stuart $200 Suits $150 Coats Last post on 7/21/11 at 1:20pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- OFFICIAL Best of WAYWT/Favorite fits Last post on 1/24/15 at 10:16pm in Streetwear and Denim
What it Means to be Made in Italy
Last edited: 2/9/15
- The Current State of AmericanaLast edited: 2/10/15
- The Styleforum Brief: February 2015Last edited: 2/9/15
- The Pleasures and Perils of the Long CoatLast edited: 1/12/15
- Knit Blazers: What Even Are They?Last edited: 2/9/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Have you ever had an occasion where SF mentality/attitude/uniform etc. been a detriment for you? - Page 10
Styleforum Top Pickspost #137 of 1812/26/12 at 7:09pmpost #138 of 1812/26/12 at 7:14pmpost #139 of 1812/27/12 at 2:52ampost #140 of 1812/27/12 at 7:39ampost #141 of 1812/27/12 at 11:18amQuote:
generally girls that approach me first are going to be better looking/stylish. As far as "more compatible" idk. .More compatible in the sense that theyre more the type i fuck YES.. .More compatible that theyre the type i would date NO. Down side is a decent amount of the girls attracted to a well dressed guy (esp in nyc or hobokon) are either very superficial, stuck up, high maintenance, gold diggers, or just have shit for brains & are painful to have a conversation with unless mildly sedated &/0r intoxicatedpost #142 of 1812/27/12 at 11:20ampost #143 of 1812/27/12 at 11:21ampost #144 of 1812/27/12 at 1:30pmpost #145 of 1812/27/12 at 8:34pmpost #146 of 1812/27/12 at 8:39pmpost #147 of 1812/28/12 at 7:02pmpost #148 of 18111/13/12 at 4:24amA lot of my friends ask for my opinion about their clothes/clothes they plan about buying.
I try to be honest regarding stylistic details without bragging about quality of construction and fabrics because most of them are still students and all of them don't want to or can't efford to spend as much as I do.
Thus a situation I feel very uncomfortable in is talking about prices for shoes, shirts etc.
I catch myself justifying my purchases "This shirt is made to my unusual personal measurements and I will wear it for years" or downplaying costs "oh, this pair of shoes? yes, it was expensive, I saved for some time, I think it was something like 200€", when in fact it might have cost several times the amount I tell them, yet they still think I spend incredibely much on clothes.
Also there is a great misconcept amoungst German people who consider an "expensive" 400€ Hugo Boss suit in black the epitome of a business outfit thus its very complicated to tell them "Personally I would prefer and advise you to wear a navy or grey suit..." without getting into the most ridiculous discussions.
Two ironical comments of my friends that I hear repeatedly and that make me smirk are:
"Oh, the fine gentleman is wearing his Burberry scarf today" when I wear my vintage checkered Aquascutum cashmere scarf that I thrifted from a second hand seller of ebay for 1/5 of its original price and for a fraction of what one of those fugly Burberry ones sales for.
"You polished your nazi boots this morning?" when ever I wear my Alfred Sargent Kirkhams which are in fact a boot made by one of the allied forces .
Another classic is:
"You are a young guy, why do you dress like a pensioner?"post #149 of 18111/13/12 at 6:01amQuote:
Ha, sorry for the 8 month reply time, but this one I only use if it's a lady that I know and where it's obvious that the flirtatiousness is a joke.post #150 of 18111/13/12 at 9:22am
Last time I wore a SC for going out at night I got robbed, and on top of that a friend told me that I didn't score at all because everyone thought I looked like an old man (blue blazer, jeans and white shirt with top 2 buttons undone, how on earth is that old mannish?). I had to go back to baggy cargos and hoodie for going out.
- Have you ever had an occasion where SF mentality/attitude/uniform etc. been a detriment for you?
- The Current State of Americana
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 4 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard 7 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 10 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 13 minutes ago
- › Wings + Horns SS14 13 minutes ago
- › Nick's Boots 14 minutes ago
- › NIKE Thread 14 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 15 minutes ago
- › New Viberg for Styleforum GMTO makeups 16 minutes ago
- › The New Official Wolf vs. Goat Thread 19 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...
- › Knit Blazers: What Even Are They?
- › Fok’s Pitti Pick: Wear Coat, Get Blogged
- › What it Means to be Made in Italy
- › How to Smell Fabulous in Florence (and Beyond)
- › The Current State of Americana
- › The Styleforum Brief: February 2015
- › The Styleforum Brief: January 2015
- › Styleforum Interviews Yasuto Kamoshita of...