Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 5:07 am in Classic Menswear
- Sportcoat Fit question Last post on 9/14/11 at 5:50pm in Classic Menswear
- Allowances for alterations to tailored clothing Last post on 6/17/13 at 6:49am in Classic Menswear
- Hickey by Hickey Freeman on Gilt, $400... worth it? Last post on 9/26/11 at 10:06am in Classic Menswear
- 6/29 Hermes Linen Coat,Alden 9.5, BB Suit,STEALTHEM Paul Stuart $200 Suits $150 Coats Last post on 7/21/11 at 1:20pm in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016
Last edited: 1/29/16
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: OuterwearLast edited: 11/11/15
- What it Means to be Made in ItalyLast edited: 2/9/15
- The Current State of AmericanaLast edited: 2/10/15
- The Styleforum Brief: February 2015Last edited: 2/9/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Have you ever had an occasion where SF mentality/attitude/uniform etc. been a detriment for you? - Page 10post #137 of 1812/26/12 at 7:09pmpost #138 of 1812/26/12 at 7:14pmpost #139 of 1812/27/12 at 2:52ampost #140 of 1812/27/12 at 7:39ampost #141 of 1812/27/12 at 11:18amQuote:
generally girls that approach me first are going to be better looking/stylish. As far as "more compatible" idk. .More compatible in the sense that theyre more the type i fuck YES.. .More compatible that theyre the type i would date NO. Down side is a decent amount of the girls attracted to a well dressed guy (esp in nyc or hobokon) are either very superficial, stuck up, high maintenance, gold diggers, or just have shit for brains & are painful to have a conversation with unless mildly sedated &/0r intoxicatedpost #142 of 1812/27/12 at 11:20ampost #143 of 1812/27/12 at 11:21ampost #144 of 1812/27/12 at 1:30pmpost #145 of 1812/27/12 at 8:34pmpost #146 of 1812/27/12 at 8:39pmpost #147 of 1812/28/12 at 7:02pmpost #148 of 18111/13/12 at 4:24amA lot of my friends ask for my opinion about their clothes/clothes they plan about buying.
I try to be honest regarding stylistic details without bragging about quality of construction and fabrics because most of them are still students and all of them don't want to or can't efford to spend as much as I do.
Thus a situation I feel very uncomfortable in is talking about prices for shoes, shirts etc.
I catch myself justifying my purchases "This shirt is made to my unusual personal measurements and I will wear it for years" or downplaying costs "oh, this pair of shoes? yes, it was expensive, I saved for some time, I think it was something like 200€", when in fact it might have cost several times the amount I tell them, yet they still think I spend incredibely much on clothes.
Also there is a great misconcept amoungst German people who consider an "expensive" 400€ Hugo Boss suit in black the epitome of a business outfit thus its very complicated to tell them "Personally I would prefer and advise you to wear a navy or grey suit..." without getting into the most ridiculous discussions.
Two ironical comments of my friends that I hear repeatedly and that make me smirk are:
"Oh, the fine gentleman is wearing his Burberry scarf today" when I wear my vintage checkered Aquascutum cashmere scarf that I thrifted from a second hand seller of ebay for 1/5 of its original price and for a fraction of what one of those fugly Burberry ones sales for.
"You polished your nazi boots this morning?" when ever I wear my Alfred Sargent Kirkhams which are in fact a boot made by one of the allied forces .
Another classic is:
"You are a young guy, why do you dress like a pensioner?"post #149 of 18111/13/12 at 6:01amQuote:
Ha, sorry for the 8 month reply time, but this one I only use if it's a lady that I know and where it's obvious that the flirtatiousness is a joke.post #150 of 18111/13/12 at 9:22am
Last time I wore a SC for going out at night I got robbed, and on top of that a friend told me that I didn't score at all because everyone thought I looked like an old man (blue blazer, jeans and white shirt with top 2 buttons undone, how on earth is that old mannish?). I had to go back to baggy cargos and hoodie for going out.
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Outerwear
- › things that are making you happy 38 seconds ago
- › Double Breasted Style. 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Artisanal "streetwear" footwear (boots, shoes,... 5 minutes ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Size 8 OTC Dark Grey Wool Socks -- In a Rush 7 minutes ago
- › WTB Alden Whisky or Ravello LHS size 8.5D 11 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 15 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 16 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 18 minutes ago
- › Show us how you roll in Engineered Garments 19 minutes ago
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding