or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Places for fabric in NYC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Places for fabric in NYC

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Does anyone have a few places that they could recommend one pick up some cashmere, wool fabrics? I am inspired by the "I Made a Tie" thread, but don't know where I could pick up a few yards of different, decent quality fabric.
post #2 of 13
for 1 yard of fabric which should yield several ties.
go to the garment district.
38th-40th st btw 7-8th ave
better stores
Rosen & chadick
B & J
beckenstein
Mood
Paron
elegant
there are others as well
post #3 of 13
i picked up some linen for a blanket from Elegant Fabrics. They have a huge selection, but I wasn't looking specifically for cashmere or wool.
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post

Does anyone have a few places that they could recommend one pick up some cashmere, wool fabrics? I am inspired by the "I Made a Tie" thread, but don't know where I could pick up a few yards of different, decent quality fabric.

Watch Project Runway.
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven View Post

for 1 yard of fabric which should yield several ties.
go to the garment district.
38th-40th st btw 7-8th ave
better stores
Rosen & chadick
B & J
beckenstein
Mood
Paron
elegant
there are others as well

Thanks, have you thought about going into the tie-making business as well?
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post


Thanks, have you thought about going into the tie-making business as well?

are you going into the tie making business Gyasi? smile.gif
post #7 of 13

I am thinking of going into the pocket square business after reading that thread... i got some fabric and then realized... "OH BOY!! Its hard to hand roll a pocket square!!!"

post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Nah, it may be cheaper to get ties in colors and fabrics that I actually want. I am getting the fabric, now need a seamstress. Military only taught me to sew buttons.
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post

Nah, it may be cheaper to get ties in colors and fabrics that I actually want. I am getting the fabric, now need a seamstress. Military only taught me to sew buttons.

looking forward to see what you make!
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post


Thanks, have you thought about going into the tie-making business as well?

I have made ties over the years when can buy silk at very good prices.
in the last few years, the local tie makers I have used have gone out of business.

also I have not been able to buy silk at very sharp pricing. I will not make ties from shirting .

Pocket squares: machine sewn is fine use a baby hem foot
post #11 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shirtmaven View Post
Pocket squares: machine sewn is fine use a baby hem foot


sewing isnt the problem i have, rolling the edges is REALLY HARD in the beginning

post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesmith View Post

Quote:


sewing isnt the problem i have, rolling the edges is REALLY HARD in the beginning

Watch the Hermès master seamstress in action:

post #13 of 13

^ This video is almost hypnotic...love it. It looks easy enough, but clearly she is a master.

 

It's always a pleasure watching fine craftsmenship (be it watching a master tailor/seamstress, shoe shiner, watchmaker, etc). 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Places for fabric in NYC