or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › A.P.C Jeans... Where made?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A.P.C Jeans... Where made? - Page 4

post #46 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Well I should apologize for not being clear and explain what I really meant when I said it left a bad taste in my mouth. I just meant that I felt mislead to find out that a French company whose jeans sell for more than $100 were being produced in Macau for a slight fraction of that amount. It didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth simply because they were made in Macau; rather, it was a combination of the French name and the high price tag coupled with the fact that they're made in Macau. To further clarify, it wouldn't have left a bad taste in my mouth if I had found out that a pair of Gap or Banana Republic jeans selling for $40 were made in Macau. So what makes A.P.C. jeans cost/worth $100 more than other jeans made in Macau? Is it the quality of the denim? Are the French owners of A.P.C. pulling in over $100 for every pair of jeans they sell, all other costs (advertising, design, materials, management, etc.) included? I'd love to know the profit margins... If I hadn't asked the question of where they're made, I also (like you) would have continued to assume that APC were made in France. Rest assured, I have nothing against the citizens of Macau personally. I guess what it comes down to is the bottom line... i.e., cost. The other day I happened across a Zegna pullover on sale for only $25 at Filene's Basement, and was all set to buy it until I saw the "Made in China" tag... (I also have nothing against the citizens of China). It also left a bad taste in my mouth that Zegna has cheapened itself so much that some of their products are now being made in China. I'm not against a company trying to maximize profits by having their goods produced for the cheapest prices possible, but there is a definite trade-off in the eyes of discriminating consumers who know that "Made in Macau" is not exactly synonymous with "quality". If a Louis Vuitton product sports a "Made in Macau" or "Made in China" or "Made in Hong Kong" tag, then is it still a Louis Vuitton? No - it's a counterfeit. (which begs the question -- where are counterfeit A.P.C. jeans made? France?) So I'll buy a pair of A.P.C.'s for $140 knowing that they were made in Macau because I support the developing world, but I'll also buy a pair of $800 45rpms -- because I support the arts.
You know, after explaining it like this, I really see where you're coming from. It's pretty frustrating to me when a company that I liked cuts their costs but does not transfer that cost saving to their customers in any way. Even if its something like more interesting packaging or nicer retail stores, not necessarily a cut in the end price. haha, glad to see we are in agreement
post #47 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by quid
haha, glad to see we are in agreement

Yeah... we're on the same team!

Let's take ringring's advice and raise a festive glass to all the wonderful people of Macau. Merry Christmas!
post #48 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Well I should apologize for not being clear and explain what I really meant when I said it left a bad taste in my mouth. I just meant that I felt mislead to find out that a French company whose jeans sell for more than $100 were being produced in Macau for a slight fraction of that amount. It didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth simply because they were made in Macau; rather, it was a combination of the French name and the high price tag coupled with the fact that they're made in Macau. To further clarify, it wouldn't have left a bad taste in my mouth if I had found out that a pair of Gap or Banana Republic jeans selling for $40 were made in Macau. So what makes A.P.C. jeans cost/worth $100 more than other jeans made in Macau? Is it the quality of the denim? Are the French owners of A.P.C. pulling in over $100 for every pair of jeans they sell, all other costs (advertising, design, materials, management, etc.) included? I'd love to know the profit margins...

If I hadn't asked the question of where they're made, I also (like you) would have continued to assume that APC were made in France. Rest assured, I have nothing against the citizens of Macau personally.

I guess what it comes down to is the bottom line... i.e., cost. The other day I happened across a Zegna pullover on sale for only $25 at Filene's Basement, and was all set to buy it until I saw the "Made in China" tag... (I also have nothing against the citizens of China). It also left a bad taste in my mouth that Zegna has cheapened itself so much that some of their products are now being made in China. I'm not against a company trying to maximize profits by having their goods produced for the cheapest prices possible, but there is a definite trade-off in the eyes of discriminating consumers who know that "Made in Macau" is not exactly synonymous with "quality". If a Louis Vuitton product sports a "Made in Macau" or "Made in China" or "Made in Hong Kong" tag, then is it still a Louis Vuitton? No - it's a counterfeit. (which begs the question -- where are counterfeit A.P.C. jeans made? France?)

So I'll buy a pair of A.P.C.'s for $140 knowing that they were made in Macau because I support the developing world, but I'll also buy a pair of $800 45rpms -- because I support the arts.

So you would rather pay $200 for a quality that may not be a higher than what they have now, just so they can be made in France?
post #49 of 54
It doesn't matter where something is made - there are talented people all around the world. What matters is finding the desired level of quality at the price you're willing to pay.
post #50 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
So you would rather pay $200 for a quality that may not be a higher than what they have now, just so they can be made in France?

There is a certain sense of satisfaction I get when I wear something that I know was made in France... it's largely psychological, I'm sure. Is it worth it to me to pay more for something that has a "made in France" tag as opposed to a "made in China" tag? Yes, definitely. It's hard to put an exact price on it, becuase it differs from piece to piece. If A.P.C.'s were made in France, I would easily pay $200 for them, even if I could get the exact same pair (but made in Macau) for $140.

I'm trying to change my thinking on this, because I've been enlightened by people like Brian who let me know that the "made in" tags aren't that telling because oftentimes clothes are made in one place, but finished in another place just so they can put a "made in France" or "made in Italy" or "made in England" tag on it.

I should focus more on determining the true quality of things, rather than just using the "made in wherever" label to deduce quality.
post #51 of 54
i gave up new balances and levi's once they shut down shop in the USA. just something i've always supported i guess.
post #52 of 54
yeah... id pay a premium for made in the usa just to support the buisness that is willing to stay and provide jobs here. ill pay a premium for made in japan too, because of the level of quality from my personal experience. the rest i could care less about.
post #53 of 54
Samurai denim co use one of the greatest Samurai warrior strategists to have ever lived; Miyamoto Musashi on their leather patches. I bet he gave a very big shit about who and where his swords and clothes were made!

Can you imagine such an immensely important person reading a stamped tag on his sword which read 'Japanese steel, designed in Japan, crafted in Macau'? The message is clear enough. If you claim to be great, you had better be great or else you're just being deceitful.

If a company needs to produce eg. Jeans (for those who lost the plot, jeans are just a pair of trousers made from denim) for sale at hundreds of pounds/dollars, then that company has a duty to their staff and customers to ensure that both groups are equally cared for. I consider it to be a matter of simply taking the piss out of workers and consumers to charge three hundred pounds for jeans, while paying enslaved workers a pittance!

Nobody can blame anyone for trying to ensure the welfare of others through conscious shopping.
post #54 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimosabe View Post

Samurai denim co use one of the greatest Samurai warrior strategists to have ever lived; Miyamoto Musashi on their leather patches. I bet he gave a very big shit about who and where his swords and clothes were made!

Can you imagine such an immensely important person reading a stamped tag on his sword which read 'Japanese steel, designed in Japan, crafted in Macau'? The message is clear enough. If you claim to be great, you had better be great or else you're just being deceitful.

If a company needs to produce eg. Jeans (for those who lost the plot, jeans are just a pair of trousers made from denim) for sale at hundreds of pounds/dollars, then that company has a duty to their staff and customers to ensure that both groups are equally cared for. I consider it to be a matter of simply taking the piss out of workers and consumers to charge three hundred pounds for jeans, while paying enslaved workers a pittance!

Nobody can blame anyone for trying to ensure the welfare of others through conscious shopping.

Thank you for contributing to a very timely discussion, the OP was awaiting your input.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › A.P.C Jeans... Where made?