or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Winter Gloves and Winter Hat: Your "best in class & totally worth every penny" keepers ...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Winter Gloves and Winter Hat: Your "best in class & totally worth every penny" keepers ... - Page 2

post #16 of 37
Thread Starter 
I might go for these for $79
http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=39HT&dir_id=885&group_id=920&cat_id=7916&subcat_id=7917
350
Edited by Reevolving - 11/18/11 at 8:45pm
post #17 of 37
Thread Starter 
Bumping this thread for the upcoming winter.
Anyone see any good deals on some quality stuff?

I'd like up upgrade both my gloves and hat this year.
post #18 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevolving View Post

Are there "best in class" higher end gloves and hats that are "totally worth every penny" to you? I am looking to spend some money and upgrade both these items for this winter, SF style. Anyone who knows me here knows that I can spend big, but only if I see value. I do not play the designer logo game, and I am acutely aware of diminishing returns (and overpaying) Is it worth spending more for winter hats and winter gloves? If so, can you post links?

Again, I don't want standard $10 stuff that is just marked up to $50 b/c they're being sold under a well known brand. Paying more just to pay more is dumb. It's gotta either have some real style points, or be made like nothing else, or I will gladly stick to $5 gloves and hat if nothing is compelling, (or is just a flagrant designer ripoff) or if hat/gloves are just not the segment to spend extra money for quality.

Think $300 for a Hudson's Bay Company wool blanket that is 8lbs heavy. Think $800 for shell cordovan that will last for years, etc.

Thanks!

Gloves and a Hat (except for rain) in San Francisco?
Are you anemic?
post #19 of 37
Thread Starter 
I will be spending this winter in Edmonton
post #20 of 37
post #21 of 37
Cashmere lined peccary.

For hats, it's hard to beat a cashmere cap





For hats, it's hard to beat a cashmere cap

My favorites come from here:

http://www.golightlycashmere.com/products/the-lightweight-performance-hat
post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevolving View Post

Are there "best in class" higher end gloves and hats that are "totally worth every penny" to you? I am looking to spend some money and upgrade both these items for this winter, SF style. Anyone who knows me here knows that I can spend big, but only if I see value. I do not play the designer logo game, and I am acutely aware of diminishing returns (and overpaying) Is it worth spending more for winter hats and winter gloves? If so, can you post links?

No shit. This seems like your one preoccupation.

For gloves, I would look to this guide:

http://putthison.com/post/13212369067/fall-and-winter-gloves-depending-on-where-you
post #23 of 37

I just found a trapper/aviator hat I liked at Needless Markups and traced it back to the source, a company in Canada called Crown Cap: http://crowncap.com/

 

I bought a different (better than at NM and cheaper on the site) shearling hat, which is on the way. Can't speak to the quality just yet but they seem to have an excellent cost:quality ratio.

 

I am so sick of gloves that only last a season. Anyone have a line on good leather gloves that can still operate a touch screen?

post #24 of 37
Delete
post #25 of 37
Thread Starter 
Bumping this thread for the coming winter season.
Please post some things you've bought or are considering.

Is this forum as active as it was back in 2010 ?
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevolving View Post

Bumping this thread for the coming winter season.
Please post some things you've bought or are considering.

Is this forum as active as it was back in 2010 ?

 

I would love to see some activity here. I've about had it with department store and designer gloves. Every pair of Nordstrom gloves I've had has lasted two seasons at best. And so it is time to invest in something nicer and sturdier.

 

I'm curious about people's opinions on the matter of hairsheep leather Vs. peccary. It seems as if hairsheep is more visually attractive and will fit itself better to your hand's natural shape, while peccary is classic and damn near indestructible. I am certainly leaning toward unlined gloves, because every pair of lined gloves I've had have seen the lining degrade much faster than the leather. Better, I think, to purchase separate liners. For color, I am leaning toward gentlemanly cork, or perhaps a nice, safe oxblood. 

 

From the research I've done, the top choices for my next pair of gloves are Dents, Chester Jeffries or - for a curveball - Rapha Town Gloves. The Raphas (made of hairsheep)  appeal to the motorcyclist in me.

 

But in the midst of all this, I discovered this fellow on eBay making peccary gloves for the bargain price of $99. He asks each customer for their glove size and the length of their middle finger so that the gloves are more or less guaranteed to fit. This begs the question, why pay $300 for a pair of Dents? Is the craftsmanship really that much better? I mean better, most certainly, but triple price better?

 

There Reevolving, that should be a bit to get going on. 

post #27 of 37
Thread Starter 
The Ebay seller seems to make gloves for grip. Like riding gloves.
I am looking for insulated winter gloves.
Please post some more links.
post #28 of 37
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonHedonist View Post

I would love to see some activity here. I've about had it with department store and designer gloves. Every pair of Nordstrom gloves I've had has lasted two seasons at best. And so it is time to invest in something nicer and sturdier.

I'm curious about people's opinions on the matter of hairsheep leather Vs. peccary. It seems as if hairsheep is more visually attractive and will fit itself better to your hand's natural shape, while peccary is classic and damn near indestructible. I am certainly leaning toward unlined gloves, because every pair of lined gloves I've had have seen the lining degrade much faster than the leather. Better, I think, to purchase separate liners. For color, I am leaning toward gentlemanly cork, or perhaps a nice, safe oxblood. 

From the research I've done, the top choices for my next pair of gloves are Dents, Chester Jeffries or - for a curveball - Rapha Town Gloves. The Raphas (made of hairsheep)  appeal to the motorcyclist in me.

But in the midst of all this, I discovered this fellow on eBay making peccary gloves for the bargain price of $99. He asks each customer for their glove size and the length of their middle finger so that the gloves are more or less guaranteed to fit. This begs the question, why pay $300 for a pair of Dents? Is the craftsmanship really that much better? I mean better, most certainly, but triple price better?

There Reevolving, that should be a bit to get going on. 

Do you own a pair?
post #29 of 37
Also curious - what's warmer, rabbit fur lined or cashmere lined?

I just checked out Chester Jeffries, and considering that you can get Bespoke for only £20 more I say that's a deal. I noticed Peccary is like £170 extra - holy Hell! Is that really worth the difference?
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reevolving View Post

The Ebay seller seems to make gloves for grip. Like riding gloves.
I am looking for insulated winter gloves.
Please post some more links.

 

He makes peccary gloves as well and will put in a (no-doubt Chinese) cashmere lining for no extra charge. Just look at "all listings" for more info.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
 

Do you own a pair?

 

I do not yet. I'm heading to S.E. Asia for the remainder of this month. I'll very likely order a pair when I return to the States.

 

Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PECCARY-LEATHER-GLOVES-All-Colors-All-Sizes-/171138948334?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Gloves_Mittens&var=&hash=item27d8ad1cee

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Winter Gloves and Winter Hat: Your "best in class & totally worth every penny" keepers ...