or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › More Carmina Shoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

More Carmina Shoes - Page 6

post #76 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by quar View Post

Fair enough.
I just feel Carmina are the flavour of the month here, and over-rated. They are good shoes. But they are not super high-quality compared to the likes of Vass, EG, St. Crispin's, JL Prestige, etc.

To me, Carmina is not a flavour, but a reality that I can compare to the two pairs of EG, 1 pair of Lobb MTO, 2 of Crockett & Jones mainline, 1 of Vass (having sold another one) etc that I own.
Construction and skins are very good on the Carminas, and have nothing to fear in comparison with EG for instance. And in Paris, a pair of EG cost 800 euros, vs 370 euros for Carmina.
More, on the Carmina's Simpson last, the form is quite close to those that can be observed on bespoke shoes.

Of course, personnal tastes are another thing.

And regarding Vass and the quality, permit me to show you my last pair of Vass in the state I received them :

263

263
post #77 of 105
I just got a quote from Betty on two pairs of MTO shoes:

Model 80201 (Rain punchcap)
Brown calf/leather sole/size 6
423 Euros

Model 80216 (Rain chelsea)
Brown calf/leather sole/size 6
520 Euros.

50 Euros shipping to US

She said that these were prices excluding VAT, but that would mean that MTO is more than 30% extra. When I check the online shop, I see:

A pair of Rain oxfords for 325 Euros tax included : 325*1.3=422.5

A pair of Simpson chelseas for 400 Euros tax included
: 400*1.3=520

Did she make a mistake and quote me prices including VAT?
Edited by Liquidus - 3/14/12 at 9:54am
post #78 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

You're nuts. I like these better than EGs.
YEAH I SAID IT WHAT

200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo View Post

Carmina better be really REALLY good to be better than EG.

They are good, but not EG good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Sure, that I know. But (to me)I prefer the way they look compared to a lot of those, and actually are more comfortable for me, thats all.

Some like Lobb, others like EG. You know where I stand.

With 2 pairs of Carminas making up my limited stable they are solid shoes for the price, but no where near EG on any front. Also, I hate that they really don't have names for their shoe models but just last names.
post #79 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidus View Post

I just got a quote from Betty on two pairs of MTO shoes:
Model 80201 (Rain punchcap)
Brown calf/leather sole/size 6
423 Euros
Model 80216 (Rain chelsea)
Brown calf/leather sole/size 6
520 Euros.
50 Euros shipping to US
She said that these were prices excluding VAT, but that would mean that MTO is more than 30% extra. When I check the online shop, I see:
A pair of Rain oxfords for 325 Euros tax included : 325*1.3=422.5

A pair of Simpson chelseas for 400 Euros tax included
: 400*1.3=520
Did she make a mistake and quote me prices including VAT?

Yeah, my guess is you're right. The price for the first pair should be roughly 350 euro. (btw, I'm also currently in the process of placing an mto order.)
post #80 of 105
I understand where the feeling that Carmina is a passing fad comes from - it seems like their profile in the US (or at least SF) has increased dramatically in a relatively short period of time. However, I think this has more to do with good quality at a very competitive price, ease of access (through Armoury and now the online store), and that they are just nice-looking shoes. I don't know how to judge "quality" objectively - I'm not going to rip apart any of my Carminas to compare them to EG or JL. I think for most people - not all but most - once you get above a certain level of construction quality it becomes academic. I've seen a number of EG shoes in person (at Leffot FWIW) and I prefer the look of Carmina's lasts from what I've seen. And I've never been tempted to try on any EG because of the great fit I get from Carmina. And that is aside from the difference in price. I have no problem with someone saying EG or JL are "better" in any sense of the word, they probably are, I'm just going by what I like.

If my shoes fall apart in a year or so I may change my tune...shog[1].gif
post #81 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_horton View Post

I understand where the feeling that Carmina is a passing fad comes from - it seems like their profile in the US (or at least SF) has increased dramatically in a relatively short period of time. However, I think this has more to do with good quality at a very competitive price, ease of access (through Armoury and now the online store), and that they are just nice-looking shoes.

Also, it's the nature of the forum. For a while C&Js were the fair-priced forum favorites. Then Marteganis. Then off-price Vass. Now Carmina. Eventually some new flavor will come along, but that doesn't mean people won't continue to buy, wear and enjoy all of those brands.
post #82 of 105
Interesting debate - still in Barcelona and actually was out shopping at Carmina on Tuesday - picked up a pair of split toe loafers in Burdios or Bordeaux shell cordovan (a very rich dark brown). Also took my group (consisting of wife, brother-in-law and wife, and 2 year old) to Bel Y Cia afterward to see the Edward Green offerings. This is somewhat unscientific, but I have to say that none of them were particularly impressed with the Carmina offerings. I'm sure they thought the models on display were beautiful but nothing they havent seen in my closet before. On the other hand, at B&G, they were all blown away by the EG wholecuts in dark green leather calf - I have no idea what EG calls that leather. Carmina's burnishing or patina treatment of the calf leather is quite bland when compared directly with Edward Green.

For me, the Carmina shoes are certainly impressive, but I wouldnt say they're better than EG. If you're factoring price into the equation, Carmina is definitely worth a look. And, of course, if the Carmina lasts fit better, that should also factor in to your decision. But as far as I know, Carmina doesnt make anything remotely resembling a Falkirk, so the conversation about which is "better" would probably end there, for me anyway.

Of course, I think where Carmina is making its reputation is with the shell cordovan. In my opinion, shell offerings from C&J for RL and Alden are just too unwieldy, bordering on blob-like. But the Carmina's shell offerings that I saw in the shop were sleek and quite elegant to look at. The Forest last fit my foot perfectly and just had a great look to it. The stitching was top notch, and the sole appeared to be very well done, with a bit of a bevelled waist to go with the channeled sole - miles ahead of what you see on Alden and C&J's stuff.

Just my opinion - I'll post more pics of the shoes when I get back.

263

263
post #83 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by quar View Post

Fair enough.
I just feel Carmina are the flavour of the month here, and over-rated. They are good shoes. But they are not super high-quality compared to the likes of Vass, EG, St. Crispin's, JL Prestige, etc.

how can you put EG in the same sentence as Vass and St. Crispin's? different sport, totally.
post #84 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiloVance View Post

I have no idea what EG calls that leather. Carmina's burnishing or patina treatment of the calf leather is quite bland when compared directly with Edward Green.

what's, if your not into these gimmicks. i for once want to develop the patina myself.

have been to a store who had various brands on display. EG have been the bland of the bland. hourses for courses.
post #85 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiloVance View Post

Interesting debate - still in Barcelona and actually was out shopping at Carmina on Tuesday - picked up a pair of split toe loafers in Burdios or Bordeaux shell cordovan (a very rich dark brown).
263
263

Philo - Is this the same shoe that's on your blog? The shoe on the blog looks chocolate brown and the one above looks burgundy.
post #86 of 105
Sorry, cuttingboard - I just realized that the pic on the blog was from the display in the shop, these are the pair that I picked up. I'm not sure what color that is but its definitely lighter than my pair. According to the sales associate, that was the same color leather although it was lighter (if that makes sense).

These look darker brown to me than the Burgundy models that I saw in the shop. These have a hint of red but the burgundy was much redder.
post #87 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post


how can you put EG in the same sentence as Vass and St. Crispin's? different sport, totally.

On an extremely minor level. Kobe and LeBron, not Kobe and a D-leaguer.
post #88 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpooPoker View Post

Sure, that I know. But (to me)I prefer the way they look compared to a lot of those, and actually are more comfortable for me, thats all.

I concur with this.
post #89 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiloVance View Post

Sorry, cuttingboard - I just realized that the pic on the blog was from the display in the shop, these are the pair that I picked up. I'm not sure what color that is but its definitely lighter than my pair. According to the sales associate, that was the same color leather although it was lighter (if that makes sense).
These look darker brown to me than the Burgundy models that I saw in the shop. These have a hint of red but the burgundy was much redder.

That is odd...I really want a pair of tan or chocolate brown slip-ons for summer. I would be disappointed if I received a burgundy pair instead. Although, the name bordeaux to me indicates burgundy instead of brown.
post #90 of 105
Anyone have to size up when moving from the Inca to the Simpson last? If so, how much?
Edited by Cuttingboard - 3/14/12 at 6:45pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › More Carmina Shoes