or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Drive
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Drive

post #1 of 204
Thread Starter 
Watch this film.
post #2 of 204
Thread Starter 
Really, like... I haven't been coiled up/had as much fun at the movies in years. It's got as much tension as Munich and as an exercise in style it's probably the first post-Tarantino movie other than Lock, Stock, & Two Smoking Barrels and a handful of other films to be as well done. Amazing, amazing, amazing.

No one else has seen this thing or been excited about it?
post #3 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogaboogabooga View Post

Really, like... I haven't been coiled up/had as much fun at the movies in years. It's got as much tension as Munich and as an exercise in style it's probably the first post-Tarantino movie other than Lock, Stock, & Two Smoking Barrels and a handful of other films to be as well done. Amazing, amazing, amazing.

No one else has seen this thing or been excited about it?

I'm excited to see it. Might be the first movie I see in an actual theater in years. Refn is great.
post #4 of 204
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwyhajlo View Post


I'm excited to see it. Might be the first movie I see in an actual theater in years. Refn is great.

Prepare to be amazed. Incredible. The audience I watched it with was transfixed and dead silent for good 20 minute blocks. Some incredible, incredible scenes. And I'm not talking the car chases. A party scene, a scene in a club, a normal conversation in a kitchen. Incredible cinematography, great score, great lighting, great sets, great blocking, wardrobe, acting. Refn films night time L.A. like he's taking nude photos of his girlfriend. It's the first film I've been really excited about in years. I think it will go down as a classic.
post #5 of 204
Saw this. It rules. Someone said the first fifteen minutes are the best part of any movie this year, and that's probably right. But the rest of the movie is amazing as well.

Albert Brooks as a villain is ASTOUNDING. I love him in this role.
post #6 of 204
Seriously, who would have expected Albert Brooks as a bad guy? But he's the best bad guy I can recall in a long time.
post #7 of 204
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

Seriously, who would have expected Albert Brooks as a bad guy? But he's the best bad guy I can recall in a long time.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I liked that he was an antagonist via utility. By no means was he a good person, but it's nice to see someone capable of doing what he did in a film, minus some form of psychosis. Very believable (though realism really isn't what this film is after) and distinctive in terms of characterization.

Edited by boogaboogabooga - 9/17/11 at 2:13pm
post #8 of 204
the brutality in some of the scenes......
post #9 of 204
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by limping_decorum View Post

the brutality in some of the scenes......

Yeah, it was almost absurd.
post #10 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogaboogabooga View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by limping_decorum View Post

the brutality in some of the scenes......

Yeah, it was almost absurd.


You guys sound like you haven't seen any of Refn's other films before.
post #11 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwyhajlo View Post



You guys sound like you haven't seen any of Refn's other films before.

i haven't seen any of his other films.....i thought the few scenes of brutality in the movie were outstanding.
post #12 of 204
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwyhajlo View Post



You guys sound like you haven't seen any of Refn's other films before.

I've seen his earlier efforts. I think. The Pusher movies, right? I haven't seen Valhalla Rising or whatever.
post #13 of 204
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by limping_decorum View Post


i haven't seen any of his other films.....i thought the few scenes of brutality in the movie were outstanding.

I thought what occurred around the brutality was way more fascinating. Jesus. The elevator scene in the film equivalent of mixed mania.
post #14 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogaboogabooga View Post


I thought what occurred around the brutality was way more fascinating. Jesus. The elevator scene in the film equivalent of mixed mania.

the look on goslings face looking out of the bathroom in the motel......
post #15 of 204
Brooks was great but I don't think the storyline was all that special. I was a bit disappointed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Drive