I've seen Casablanca and DB was popular back in the day. Maybe that's why people claim it's making a comeback, but it never really went away.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 6/25/12
Related Forum Threads
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF MAR 23, 2015 Last post on Yesterday at 3:56 pm in Classic Menswear
- San Francisco Bay Area, SF, Styleforum Meetup Hosted by Khaki's Of Carmel- Ring Jacket... Last post on Today at 5:18 am in Classic Menswear
- Three-piece suits: waistcoats & side-tabs Last post on 2/21/15 at 7:32pm in Classic Menswear
- Sicilian tailors Last post on 2/21/15 at 11:48pm in Classic Menswear
- FRIDAY CHALLENGE February 20, 2015 - "Dress down your suit" Last post on 2/26/15 at 5:37am in Classic Menswear
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Return of the Double Breasted Suit... - Page 5post #61 of 796/29/12 at 12:51pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #62 of 797/5/12 at 10:19ampost #63 of 797/5/12 at 1:55pmpost #64 of 797/6/12 at 7:42ampost #65 of 797/6/12 at 7:45ampost #66 of 797/6/12 at 11:54ampost #67 of 797/6/12 at 1:00pmpost #68 of 797/12/12 at 7:46pmI was reading somewhere about Ralph Lauren's fondness for the 6x2 DB with the lower button, rather than the middle button, fastened. It seemed to be indicative of his general appreciation/appropriation of various elements of classic men's style from the 1920s-1940s - It has also been said that the Duke of Windsor popularized the style in the late 1930s/early 1940s. I thought it was interesting to see that Lucky Luciano was photographed wearing his 6x2 DBs in the same manner as early as 1936 - perhaps both men appreciated the supposedly elongating effect that the lower button position was supposed to create.
http://uptowndandy.blogspot.com/2012/07/of-pimps-peaked-lapels-or-short-history.htmlpost #69 of 798/17/12 at 3:42pm
Just to resurrect this thread because, having got myself a DB blazer, I have changed my mind about how DB coats looks on shorter guys like me. However, one thing has been puzzling me and perhaps the more knowledgeable style historians on the forum can help here: in the photographs of classic DB suits, the peaked lapel appears to be dominant. However, I've seen plenty of DB suits 'in the wild' with a notched lapel. Although I prefer the peaked lapel on a DB suit coat, I don't think the notched lapel looks terrible. But is the notched lapel a faux-pas? Does anyone here have a DB suit with a notched lapel?post #70 of 798/17/12 at 3:52pmpost #71 of 798/17/12 at 3:56pmpost #72 of 798/17/12 at 4:06pmpost #73 of 798/17/12 at 4:15pmThread Starterpost #74 of 798/17/12 at 4:31pmQuote:
Having done a bit of digging, I don't think it is a classic style. In the 20s-30s, there appears to have been a fad for 'fishmouth' or 'Parisian' lapels on coats whether SB or DB, but these are not the same as standard notch lapels. And they still don't look as 'right' as a peak lapel on a DB.
- Return of the Double Breasted Suit...
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 37 seconds ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 37 seconds ago
- › ***The Official eBay / B&S / eShop Someone-Should-Kop Thread*** 1 minute ago
- › Barbour Japanese SL Bedale - Black - Medium - BNWT 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 1 minute ago
- › The Architecture Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shoes : Reviews, Sizing, Photos and More 2 minutes ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 4 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The ten least expensive cars to insure in the US
- › The Styleforum Brief: March 2015
- › Going Places: A Brief Trip to Naples
- › One Sneaker to Rule Them All: The Rise of the...
- › People Who Make Our Lives Better: Jack...
- › CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best...
- › Fok's Pick: Quilted Vests
- › A Suit Well-Traveled: Clark Gable’s...
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...