I've seen Casablanca and DB was popular back in the day. Maybe that's why people claim it's making a comeback, but it never really went away.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 6/25/12
Related Forum Threads
- Are there any brands, clothiers, or retailers, that cater to the short (5'8"/1.70m)... Last post on Today at 1:40 pm in Streetwear and Denim
- All you need to know about Pitti Uomo -- @dirnelli adds to SF's coverage of Pitti 86 Last post on 6/30/14 at 11:33pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 5:59 pm in Classic Menswear
- NWOT Tom Ford Base B Black Suit EU48R US38R Last post on 7/20/14 at 5:54pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- 45 R Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece Navy Pinstripe Suit 45R Last post on 3/24/14 at 7:55am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Return of the Double Breasted Suit... - Page 5post #61 of 796/29/12 at 12:51pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #62 of 797/5/12 at 10:19ampost #63 of 797/5/12 at 1:55pmpost #64 of 797/6/12 at 7:42ampost #65 of 797/6/12 at 7:45ampost #66 of 797/6/12 at 11:54ampost #67 of 797/6/12 at 1:00pmpost #68 of 797/12/12 at 7:46pmI was reading somewhere about Ralph Lauren's fondness for the 6x2 DB with the lower button, rather than the middle button, fastened. It seemed to be indicative of his general appreciation/appropriation of various elements of classic men's style from the 1920s-1940s - It has also been said that the Duke of Windsor popularized the style in the late 1930s/early 1940s. I thought it was interesting to see that Lucky Luciano was photographed wearing his 6x2 DBs in the same manner as early as 1936 - perhaps both men appreciated the supposedly elongating effect that the lower button position was supposed to create.
http://uptowndandy.blogspot.com/2012/07/of-pimps-peaked-lapels-or-short-history.htmlpost #69 of 798/17/12 at 3:42pm
Just to resurrect this thread because, having got myself a DB blazer, I have changed my mind about how DB coats looks on shorter guys like me. However, one thing has been puzzling me and perhaps the more knowledgeable style historians on the forum can help here: in the photographs of classic DB suits, the peaked lapel appears to be dominant. However, I've seen plenty of DB suits 'in the wild' with a notched lapel. Although I prefer the peaked lapel on a DB suit coat, I don't think the notched lapel looks terrible. But is the notched lapel a faux-pas? Does anyone here have a DB suit with a notched lapel?post #70 of 798/17/12 at 3:52pmpost #71 of 798/17/12 at 3:56pmpost #72 of 798/17/12 at 4:06pmpost #73 of 798/17/12 at 4:15pmThread Starterpost #74 of 798/17/12 at 4:31pmQuote:
Having done a bit of digging, I don't think it is a classic style. In the 20s-30s, there appears to have been a fad for 'fishmouth' or 'Parisian' lapels on coats whether SB or DB, but these are not the same as standard notch lapels. And they still don't look as 'right' as a peak lapel on a DB.
- Return of the Double Breasted Suit...
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 39 seconds ago
- › Oakley Bottle Rocket 4.0 Eyeglasses 53/18/120 1 minute ago
- › What Movies Are You Watching Lately 1 minute ago
- › Reasons why New York Sucks 2 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 3 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts 3 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The new official TOJ thread, 2011 6 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread 6 minutes ago
- › CARPE DIEM REVERSE CALF S23M 5 HOLE LACEUP BOOTS Size 41 (US8-8.5) 6 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)