or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Return of the Double Breasted Suit...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Return of the Double Breasted Suit...

post #1 of 79
Thread Starter 
For the last couple of months, I've noticed that both GQ and Esquire have featured the double suit or sport coat as the "hot new" item that every well dressed man "must have". I have long been a fan of the look but only one designer has ever done it right in my book and that's why I've owned and worn several Ralph Lauren "Polo" line double breasted suits for years.

This past summer (it is over, isn't it?!), I even purchased a very nice seersucker double breasted jacket and pants combo that drew raves from friends and the wife! I'm lucky because the cut of these suits fits me damn near perfectly ROTR. When I've been able to find a 43R on ebay I'm especially happy because these have drawn questions like "is that custom made"? They fit that well!

Anyway, it's nice to see the trend towards this type of suit again. It's my personal favorite look and I never feel more well attired than in a well cut double breasted suit.

It's cool in N.Y. today so I decided to go with my birds eye number with a touch of cashmere in the fabric. nod[1].gif

Just wondered if you guys are appreciative of the look as well...
post #2 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebonyman View Post

For the last couple of months, I've noticed that both GQ and Esquire have featured the double suit or sport coat as the "hot new" item that every well dressed man "must have". I have long been a fan of the look but only one designer has ever done it right in my book and that's why I've owned and worn several Ralph Lauren "Polo" line double breasted suits for years.

This past summer (it is over, isn't it?!), I even purchased a very nice seersucker double breasted jacket and pants combo that drew raves from friends and the wife! I'm lucky because the cut of these suits fits me damn near perfectly ROTR. When I've been able to find a 43R on ebay I'm especially happy because these have drawn questions like "is that custom made"? They fit that well!

Anyway, it's nice to see the trend towards this type of suit again. It's my personal favorite look and I never feel more well attired than in a well cut double breasted suit.

It's cool in N.Y. today so I decided to go with my birds eye number with a touch of cashmere in the fabric. nod[1].gif

Just wondered if you guys are appreciative of the look as well...

It's a great look, especially if you have a rectangular or triangle physique. I would also add Isaia to the list of designers that do a stellar double-breasted suit.
post #3 of 79
Would love to see some pictures of a double breasted seersucker piece!

Do you think it works with the whole summery feeling of the fabric having to have the jacket buttoned at all times?

I have been considering a three piece seersucker myself...
post #4 of 79
For many of us, it never left.
post #5 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by luftvier View Post

For many of us, it never left.

+1 . I have worn double breasted suits in professional setting in the last 10 years when many days went by before I saw anyone else wearing one.
post #6 of 79
Return? Where did it go? It never left my wardrobe.

I'm with Leftvier.
Edited by RSS - 9/16/11 at 3:38pm
post #7 of 79
Its has never really left some people's wardrobe but it is very welcome in fashionable shops if it replaces the rather silly current wave of skinny trouser/short jacket combinations that these magazines were peddling recently.

That however sums up the fickle nature of all of this - classics however never disappear.
post #8 of 79
I am the opposite of Luftvier. I have never liked double-breasted anything (except peacoats) and will never own or wear any of them, regardless of how trendy they may become.

The exception is a two-button DB jacket or suit -- I want one of those, but I expect most of you who champion conventional DB hate the mere idea of such a thing.

Some examples (though none are flawless in my opinion):

4wwtY.jpg
post #9 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe View Post

I am the opposite of Luftvier. I have never liked double-breasted anything (except peacoats) and will never own or wear any of them, regardless of how trendy they may become.

The exception is a two-button DB jacket or suit -- I want one of those, but I expect most of you who champion conventional DB hate the mere idea of such a thing.

Some examples (though none are flawless in my opinion):



None are flawless? They're all abhorrent.
Edited by uniesse - 9/17/11 at 7:31am
post #10 of 79
Thread Starter 
Here's a pic of the suit I wore today. It's a wool and cashmere blend Polo by RL.263263

I have nothing positive to say about the variants posted above....
post #11 of 79
I support the two-button DB, can you say DJ? Roar
post #12 of 79
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM View Post

I support the two-button DB, can you say DJ? Roar

????puzzled.gif
post #13 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniesse View Post


None are flawless? They're all abhorrent.

Thanks for sharing -- and for quoting an enormous image immediately after it was posted (durr). That's precisely the same way I feel about your four- and (especially) six-button DB jackets.

Welcome to subjectivity.

The obtuseness in display on this forum continues to amaze me.

And for what it's worth, none of those examples of the 2B DB are what I want. If the one at bottom left wasn't glen plaid and didn't have such fucked up quarters, it would be roughly what I would like.
post #14 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe View Post


Thanks for sharing -- and for quoting an enormous image immediately after it was posted (durr). That's precisely the same way I feel about your four- and (especially) six-button DB jackets.

My bad, edited out the image quote.

Sentiment stands.
post #15 of 79
Thread Starter 
I'd love to hear of other designers you guys think turn out a nice DB.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Return of the Double Breasted Suit...