Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
- categoryCuff Linkstagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
- categoryTiestagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
- brandZegnatagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
Related Forum Threads
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 2:53 pm in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my new custom jacket Last post on 11/12/12 at 5:59pm in Classic Menswear
- The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions Last post on Yesterday at 6:07 am in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200Last edited: 11/24/15
- Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015Last edited: 10/6/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Which Interview Outfit Is Better? With PICS - Page 3post #31 of 999/14/11 at 4:21pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #32 of 999/14/11 at 5:08pmQuote:
Jesus, in America about anything more refined than sweatpants and Affliction t-shirts are considered elitist. And if he is interviewing with a hedge fund I think they've been to the circus and seen the elephant, they aren't WalMart.
But I will say that you want your wardrobe to be professional and forgettable at the same time.
post #33 of 999/14/11 at 6:21pmpost #34 of 999/14/11 at 6:29pmpost #35 of 999/14/11 at 7:08pmpost #36 of 999/14/11 at 7:26pmpost #37 of 999/14/11 at 7:50pmOP, im in the same boat as you - got a few interviews lined up.
I had an interview the other day, and I wore:
- White shirt
- Regular cuffs, not sure that wearing FC is a big deal but best to avoid any misconceptions.
- clean simple tie bar
- white pocket square tv fold
Interview went well, and i'm going in for round 2.
Dress professional and smart, don't over do the accessories, but know what you are doing.post #38 of 999/14/11 at 11:05pmpost #39 of 999/15/11 at 1:25ampost #40 of 999/15/11 at 6:08am
Edited by RSS - 9/15/11 at 6:53ampost #41 of 999/15/11 at 6:20amEither is fine - even getting this far will probably put you ahead of most of the "software guys", the way I understand that culture. If you have time though, get a good tailor to work on the right shoulder line of that jacket. It may require a collar adjustment. Also, get it pressed, as someone else said.
Personally, I think you're fine with french cuffs, tie bar, and PS. And I'm American. If this is a software company that works with hedge funds, it's possible one of the rare skills for interviewees to have is to be able to fit in to some extent with the hedge fund crowd...the accessories send signals in that direction. Unless you're just out of college and interviewing for an entry level position, I see nothing wrong with it.post #42 of 999/15/11 at 7:02ampost #43 of 999/15/11 at 7:24amWhy is everyone fussing about the cufflinks but few people are elaborating on the PS? In my office setting, I see people wearing cufflinks all the time. However, wearing PS's is an easy way to be the subject of a few water cooler jokes (I feel that for most people, cufflinks still retain a business vibe whereas pocket squares have a dandy'ish vibe). I would say ditch the PS for sure (it's always going to be right there in the bosses peripheral vision). The cufflinks are probably not going to add anything, but I don't think it's going to hurt your chances of getting the job either.
And in terms of other accessories, I think the tie bar adds to the outfit. I feel like it subconsciously sends an image of organization/dependability (your tie will remain in place despite how hectic your day is). In general, the pocket squares have no real utilitarian value (are you going to offer it to your boss to blow his nose?) With a double barrel shirt, cufflinks DO have a purpose, but might make someone question why you need to wear a double barrel shirt. The tie bar/watch have clear business purposes - to keep you organized/up-to-par when your day starts to get busy.post #44 of 999/15/11 at 7:30am
- Which Interview Outfit Is Better? With PICS
Styleforum Top Picks
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 46 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 53 seconds ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 1 minute ago
- › Church's Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 3 minutes ago
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 4 minutes ago
- › ***The Official eBay / B&S / eShop Someone-Should-Kop Thread*** 5 minutes ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 8 minutes ago
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › What Kind of Wedding Tie Should I Buy?
- › Price list for Vass shoes and boots for 2016
- › Paris: Men's Fashion Week, Part 1
- › Advice on care and maintenance of Alden...
- › Help, the back of the inside of my shoes are...
- › Getting rid of a black spot on Wolverine boots
- › Removing a scratch from a pair of shoes
- › How to fix a scratch in Allen Edmond Park...
- › The 5 Best Dress Watches Under $5,000 - as...
- › The 5 best Sport Watches under $1000 - as...