Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
- categoryCuff Linkstagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
- categoryTiestagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
- brandZegnatagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
Related Forum Threads
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 7:39 am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my new custom jacket Last post on 11/12/12 at 5:59pm in Classic Menswear
- The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions Last post on Today at 6:17 am in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I Hate ItLast edited: 5/7/15
- Lanieri Presents: Deep Into the BlueLast edited: 4/13/15
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Which Interview Outfit Is Better? With PICS - Page 3post #31 of 999/14/11 at 4:21pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #32 of 999/14/11 at 5:08pmQuote:
Jesus, in America about anything more refined than sweatpants and Affliction t-shirts are considered elitist. And if he is interviewing with a hedge fund I think they've been to the circus and seen the elephant, they aren't WalMart.
But I will say that you want your wardrobe to be professional and forgettable at the same time.
post #33 of 999/14/11 at 6:21pmpost #34 of 999/14/11 at 6:29pmpost #35 of 999/14/11 at 7:08pmpost #36 of 999/14/11 at 7:26pmpost #37 of 999/14/11 at 7:50pmOP, im in the same boat as you - got a few interviews lined up.
I had an interview the other day, and I wore:
- White shirt
- Regular cuffs, not sure that wearing FC is a big deal but best to avoid any misconceptions.
- clean simple tie bar
- white pocket square tv fold
Interview went well, and i'm going in for round 2.
Dress professional and smart, don't over do the accessories, but know what you are doing.post #38 of 999/14/11 at 11:05pmpost #39 of 999/15/11 at 1:25ampost #40 of 999/15/11 at 6:08am
Edited by RSS - 9/15/11 at 6:53ampost #41 of 999/15/11 at 6:20amEither is fine - even getting this far will probably put you ahead of most of the "software guys", the way I understand that culture. If you have time though, get a good tailor to work on the right shoulder line of that jacket. It may require a collar adjustment. Also, get it pressed, as someone else said.
Personally, I think you're fine with french cuffs, tie bar, and PS. And I'm American. If this is a software company that works with hedge funds, it's possible one of the rare skills for interviewees to have is to be able to fit in to some extent with the hedge fund crowd...the accessories send signals in that direction. Unless you're just out of college and interviewing for an entry level position, I see nothing wrong with it.post #42 of 999/15/11 at 7:02ampost #43 of 999/15/11 at 7:24amWhy is everyone fussing about the cufflinks but few people are elaborating on the PS? In my office setting, I see people wearing cufflinks all the time. However, wearing PS's is an easy way to be the subject of a few water cooler jokes (I feel that for most people, cufflinks still retain a business vibe whereas pocket squares have a dandy'ish vibe). I would say ditch the PS for sure (it's always going to be right there in the bosses peripheral vision). The cufflinks are probably not going to add anything, but I don't think it's going to hurt your chances of getting the job either.
And in terms of other accessories, I think the tie bar adds to the outfit. I feel like it subconsciously sends an image of organization/dependability (your tie will remain in place despite how hectic your day is). In general, the pocket squares have no real utilitarian value (are you going to offer it to your boss to blow his nose?) With a double barrel shirt, cufflinks DO have a purpose, but might make someone question why you need to wear a double barrel shirt. The tie bar/watch have clear business purposes - to keep you organized/up-to-par when your day starts to get busy.post #44 of 999/15/11 at 7:30am
- Which Interview Outfit Is Better? With PICS
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 5 seconds ago
- › W. Bill Green Linen Custom Run 30 seconds ago
- › things that are making you happy 1 minute ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 1 minute ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 1 minute ago
- › Viberg Black Chromexcel Engineer sz. 11 - New 2 minutes ago
- › Suit brands for short/thin guy? 2 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 2 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 3 minutes ago
- › The Grad Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...