Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
- categoryCuff Linkstagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
- categoryTiestagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
- brandZegnatagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
Related Forum Threads
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- Please critique my new custom jacket Last post on 11/12/12 at 5:59pm in Classic Menswear
- The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions Last post on Today at 12:43 pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
- A Beginner's Guide to MC. Look here once before posting. Last post on 3/18/11 at 11:50am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- Choosing Men's Designer SuitsLast edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- ASPECD Apparel
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Andrews Sartorial Luxury Collection
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- Nice Laundry
- No Man Walks Alone
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Which Interview Outfit Is Better? With PICS - Page 3post #31 of 999/14/11 at 4:21pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #32 of 999/14/11 at 5:08pmQuote:
Jesus, in America about anything more refined than sweatpants and Affliction t-shirts are considered elitist. And if he is interviewing with a hedge fund I think they've been to the circus and seen the elephant, they aren't WalMart.
But I will say that you want your wardrobe to be professional and forgettable at the same time.
post #33 of 999/14/11 at 6:21pmpost #34 of 999/14/11 at 6:29pmpost #35 of 999/14/11 at 7:08pmpost #36 of 999/14/11 at 7:26pmpost #37 of 999/14/11 at 7:50pmOP, im in the same boat as you - got a few interviews lined up.
I had an interview the other day, and I wore:
- White shirt
- Regular cuffs, not sure that wearing FC is a big deal but best to avoid any misconceptions.
- clean simple tie bar
- white pocket square tv fold
Interview went well, and i'm going in for round 2.
Dress professional and smart, don't over do the accessories, but know what you are doing.post #38 of 999/14/11 at 11:05pmpost #39 of 999/15/11 at 1:25ampost #40 of 999/15/11 at 6:08am
Edited by RSS - 9/15/11 at 6:53ampost #41 of 999/15/11 at 6:20amEither is fine - even getting this far will probably put you ahead of most of the "software guys", the way I understand that culture. If you have time though, get a good tailor to work on the right shoulder line of that jacket. It may require a collar adjustment. Also, get it pressed, as someone else said.
Personally, I think you're fine with french cuffs, tie bar, and PS. And I'm American. If this is a software company that works with hedge funds, it's possible one of the rare skills for interviewees to have is to be able to fit in to some extent with the hedge fund crowd...the accessories send signals in that direction. Unless you're just out of college and interviewing for an entry level position, I see nothing wrong with it.post #42 of 999/15/11 at 7:02ampost #43 of 999/15/11 at 7:24amWhy is everyone fussing about the cufflinks but few people are elaborating on the PS? In my office setting, I see people wearing cufflinks all the time. However, wearing PS's is an easy way to be the subject of a few water cooler jokes (I feel that for most people, cufflinks still retain a business vibe whereas pocket squares have a dandy'ish vibe). I would say ditch the PS for sure (it's always going to be right there in the bosses peripheral vision). The cufflinks are probably not going to add anything, but I don't think it's going to hurt your chances of getting the job either.
And in terms of other accessories, I think the tie bar adds to the outfit. I feel like it subconsciously sends an image of organization/dependability (your tie will remain in place despite how hectic your day is). In general, the pocket squares have no real utilitarian value (are you going to offer it to your boss to blow his nose?) With a double barrel shirt, cufflinks DO have a purpose, but might make someone question why you need to wear a double barrel shirt. The tie bar/watch have clear business purposes - to keep you organized/up-to-par when your day starts to get busy.post #44 of 999/15/11 at 7:30am
- Which Interview Outfit Is Better? With PICS
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?
- › FREE TV=Carolina Panthers vs New England Patriots live Stream 2 seconds ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 11 seconds ago
- › Recent Purchases 16 seconds ago
- › FREE TV=WaTCh NY Giants vs NY Jets live Stream 31 seconds ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 37 seconds ago
- › GET TV=Oakland vs Green Bay live Stream 48 seconds ago
- › GET TV=Jacksonville vs Detroit live Stream 1 minute ago
- › Viberg Boots 1 minute ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 1 minute ago
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Loake Strand by wurger
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Pullovers)