Recent Images In This Thread
- topicClothingtagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
- categoryCuff Linkstagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
- categoryDress Pantstagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
- categorySuitstagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
- categoryTiestagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
- brandZegnatagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
Related Forum Threads
- High Grade Cleanout....Suits, SCs, Shoes, Ties..DROPS and ADDS!!!! Last post on 2/20/11 at 3:30am in FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on 3/23/17 at 6:39am in Classic Menswear
- Please critique my new custom jacket Last post on 11/12/12 at 5:59pm in Classic Menswear
- The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions Last post on Yesterday at 3:10 pm in Classic Menswear
- Pls critique my 1st bespoke suit Last post on 8/12/11 at 9:08am in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800Last edited: 4/26/16
- What to Wear to (Almost) Any WeddingLast edited: 4/25/16
- What shade of grey should my wedding suit be?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Where can I buy an affordable suit for my wedding?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Which Interview Outfit Is Better? With PICS - Page 3post #31 of 999/14/11 at 4:21pmpost #32 of 999/14/11 at 5:08pmQuote:
Jesus, in America about anything more refined than sweatpants and Affliction t-shirts are considered elitist. And if he is interviewing with a hedge fund I think they've been to the circus and seen the elephant, they aren't WalMart.
But I will say that you want your wardrobe to be professional and forgettable at the same time.
post #33 of 999/14/11 at 6:21pmpost #34 of 999/14/11 at 6:29pmpost #35 of 999/14/11 at 7:08pmpost #36 of 999/14/11 at 7:26pmpost #37 of 999/14/11 at 7:50pmOP, im in the same boat as you - got a few interviews lined up.
I had an interview the other day, and I wore:
- White shirt
- Regular cuffs, not sure that wearing FC is a big deal but best to avoid any misconceptions.
- clean simple tie bar
- white pocket square tv fold
Interview went well, and i'm going in for round 2.
Dress professional and smart, don't over do the accessories, but know what you are doing.post #38 of 999/14/11 at 11:05pmpost #39 of 999/15/11 at 1:25ampost #40 of 999/15/11 at 6:08am
Edited by RSS - 9/15/11 at 6:53ampost #41 of 999/15/11 at 6:20amEither is fine - even getting this far will probably put you ahead of most of the "software guys", the way I understand that culture. If you have time though, get a good tailor to work on the right shoulder line of that jacket. It may require a collar adjustment. Also, get it pressed, as someone else said.
Personally, I think you're fine with french cuffs, tie bar, and PS. And I'm American. If this is a software company that works with hedge funds, it's possible one of the rare skills for interviewees to have is to be able to fit in to some extent with the hedge fund crowd...the accessories send signals in that direction. Unless you're just out of college and interviewing for an entry level position, I see nothing wrong with it.post #42 of 999/15/11 at 7:02ampost #43 of 999/15/11 at 7:24amWhy is everyone fussing about the cufflinks but few people are elaborating on the PS? In my office setting, I see people wearing cufflinks all the time. However, wearing PS's is an easy way to be the subject of a few water cooler jokes (I feel that for most people, cufflinks still retain a business vibe whereas pocket squares have a dandy'ish vibe). I would say ditch the PS for sure (it's always going to be right there in the bosses peripheral vision). The cufflinks are probably not going to add anything, but I don't think it's going to hurt your chances of getting the job either.
And in terms of other accessories, I think the tie bar adds to the outfit. I feel like it subconsciously sends an image of organization/dependability (your tie will remain in place despite how hectic your day is). In general, the pocket squares have no real utilitarian value (are you going to offer it to your boss to blow his nose?) With a double barrel shirt, cufflinks DO have a purpose, but might make someone question why you need to wear a double barrel shirt. The tie bar/watch have clear business purposes - to keep you organized/up-to-par when your day starts to get busy.post #44 of 999/15/11 at 7:30ampost #45 of 999/15/11 at 7:33am
- Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for Under $800
- › Ask a Question, Get an Answer - ask all quick questions here 1 minute ago
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 4 minutes ago
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 13 minutes ago
- › Consolidation - fatherhood used dress shoe clearout - JL, Maftei,... 32 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 33 minutes ago
- › Yanko - Made In Spain Shoes 41 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 44 minutes ago
- › Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion 45 minutes ago
- › CROCKETT AND JONES CHADWICK EXPRESSO CALF SUEDE UK11/US12 51 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 1 hour, 2 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...